Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 04:38 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

Yup, use game cams to check for trespassing. We have them and put them in various locations. Just because someone doesn’t see one where it was for a while doesn’t mean there aren’t cameras recording them...from a different spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
If you do post, try "Hunting by permission only." Sounds better than "No hunting."
...as long as you don't mind people constantly knocking on your door asking for permission, then getting mad when you say no.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
...as long as you don't mind people constantly knocking on your door asking for permission, then getting mad when you say no.

Yes, that was my basic concern when I saw that. Having to stand up, put on some form of civilized clothing, things like that.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:48 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Check with your state wildlife service. Some places have a Master Hunter program where certain bowhunters are certified to Cull deer within city limits.

One town near me has a similar program since the deer have become a hazard on city streets. The larger town where I used to live set up a program where city cops would trap and cull up to 400 deer a year.
The meat went to the local food bank.

Deer can be a major problem in town. I've heard of cases where bucks in the rut have chased and attacked people

Checking with state fish and game or your city offices might be a good place to start.

Just as an aside, coyotes mostly prey on fawns or the sick or injured adults. They don't take on healthy adults very often, so they aren't usually enough to provide meaningful herd reduction.

Good idea! Thanks!

Old 10-15-2019, 07:56 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
LOL, sounds like the town we lived in for a few years. The deer behavior was bizarre.

I began shooting cans filled with pebbles, using a slingshot, in my yard. Made noise that made them avoid the yard, but they would eventually return. I did that after throwing small rocks AND HITTING THE DEER with them only made them move a few yards further away. Hitting them with a slingshot ball stung more and they left...again, only temporarily. That town really should have hired some sharpshooters and brought them back if necessary a few years later.

Does typically bear two young each year, and the population growth in the very few years we lived there was visually noticeable. They had virtually no predation of any kind. The few coyote that had not been run off by loose dogs (who were obviously of no help in keeping deer numbers down) were regarded as vicious threats by pet owners.

Yep.. all sounds familiar. Although, they (coyotes) have taken out a lot of pets around here. One woman walked out back with 2 little dogs one on leash, one in arms and as she was stepping off her bottom deck step, coyote ran out and grabbed the little guy on the leash and ran off with him. She said it just all happened so fast she couldn't react in time. My parents have one around that hides behind their shed frequently watching when they try to bring their little Boston terrier out to do his business. They have to look behind the shed first, it scares them.
There actually have been a lot of incidents.

I am going to do what MT suggested and call the Wildlife Service and find out if the deer population can be reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living