Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 12:44 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't have personal feelings against hunting....elsewhere....and probably have a hog gun in inventory. Will an AR-10 work?
Assuming it's in .308, it would definitely work on hogs. I use a bolt action .308 and Federal Premium ammo. It will take care of any animal in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 01:59 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Assuming it's in .308, it would definitely work on hogs. I use a bolt action .308 and Federal Premium ammo. It will take care of any animal in Texas.
M-14/AR-10 I am into it. Take out mines, small boats, aircraft, that is my world........but what I worry about is dropping a round into the next ranch.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Even a high velocity .22 will take down a pig if it's placed properly. That's what we use for pig 'hunting' although the pigs are trapped first so it's more like fish in a barrel than true hunting. It's more vermin eradication than hunting but pig is tasty.

As far as posting the property as to 'no hunting' even if you were to mark trees with just flagging tape, that would probably be enough to get hunters to go another way.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
M-14/AR-10 I am into it. Take out mines, small boats, aircraft, that is my world........but what I worry about is dropping a round into the next ranch.
You can get loads for silenced firearms that would work. A .308 with a 180+ grain bullet at 11fps or less will kill pigs out to a reasonable distance. Even better, get a silencer so you don't bother your neighbors. Shoot from a high position if possible, so that misses go into the ground without a ricochet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Even a high velocity .22 will take down a pig if it's placed properly. That's what we use for pig 'hunting' although the pigs are trapped first so it's more like fish in a barrel than true hunting. It's more vermin eradication than hunting but pig is tasty.

As far as posting the property as to 'no hunting' even if you were to mark trees with just flagging tape, that would probably be enough to get hunters to go another way.
The only way I've seen to kill a pig with a .223 is to shoot them in the ear. The bullets will bounce off the skull on head shots.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You can get loads for silenced firearms that would work. A .308 with a 180+ grain bullet at 11fps or less will kill pigs out to a reasonable distance. Even better, get a silencer so you don't bother your neighbors. Shoot from a high position if possible, so that misses go into the ground without a ricochet........

In the Texas Hill Country??????

Where the ground is a little topsoil and A LOT OF ROCK??????

Old 10-14-2019, 06:17 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,131,116 times
I wish someone would take out a few deer around me. Since moving out of the forest and into town (my property butts up against the back of a mountain) I am inundated with deer. Every. Single. Day. I run them out of the yard and out of my gardens/flowerbeds. Last night on my way to bed I noticed a motion detecting light on out in front. Opened the front door and 4 deer on my porch eating the sides of my azaleas. Just standing there looking at me. I practically have to jump on their backs and ride them off the property to get them to leave (no shooting in town here).

Everyone keeps telling me to get a crossbow and take them out. I don't have the heart to kill them but I do have the heart to close my eyes and let someone else do it, lol. I have used tons of different deer repellent, have a fence up (getting estimates on a taller one now) and they have eaten a lot of expensive landscaping. We do have coyote around and I'm sure they're taking out a few but there are still more deer than any of us care to deal with.
I used to love to see them but they have quickly hit the top of my 'vermin' list here.

Wish we could turn loose a few well seasoned bow hunters in town.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:30 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I wish someone would take out a few deer around me. Since moving out of the forest and into town (my property butts up against the back of a mountain) I am inundated with deer. Every. Single. Day. I run them out of the yard and out of my gardens/flowerbeds. Last night on my way to bed I noticed a motion detecting light on out in front. Opened the front door and 4 deer on my porch eating the sides of my azaleas. Just standing there looking at me. I practically have to jump on their backs and ride them off the property to get them to leave (no shooting in town here).

Everyone keeps telling me to get a crossbow and take them out. I don't have the heart to kill them but I do have the heart to close my eyes and let someone else do it, lol. I have used tons of different deer repellent, have a fence up (getting estimates on a taller one now) and they have eaten a lot of expensive landscaping. We do have coyote around and I'm sure they're taking out a few but there are still more deer than any of us care to deal with.
I used to love to see them but they have quickly hit the top of my 'vermin' list here.

Check with your state wildlife service. Some places have a Master Hunter program where certain bowhunters are certified to Cull deer within city limits.

One town near me has a similar program since the deer have become a hazard on city streets. The larger town where I used to live set up a program where city cops would trap and cull up to 400 deer a year.
The meat went to the local food bank.

Deer can be a major problem in town. I've heard of cases where bucks in the rut have chased and attacked people

Checking with state fish and game or your city offices might be a good place to start.

Just as an aside, coyotes mostly prey on fawns or the sick or injured adults. They don't take on healthy adults very often, so they aren't usually enough to provide meaningful herd reduction.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:26 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
If you can't put up a reasonably decent fence yet, Tamara, do the purple paint thing, and add some No Trespassing and No Hunting signs near the purple paint. It will keep law-abiding hunters away from your property.

As for poachers, well, you do have an AR-10 to warn them away...

Shooting wild pigs from higher ground/positions is still a good idea, even in our rocky ground. You should be far enough away to not be affected by a ricochet, and such should at least not go anywhere near your neighbors.

Always a good idea to have the local Texas game warden on speed dial, too, in case hunters/poachers do trespass, or you start finding wounded animals on your property.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post

LOL, sounds like the town we lived in for a few years. The deer behavior was bizarre.

I began shooting cans filled with pebbles, using a slingshot, in my yard. Made noise that made them avoid the yard, but they would eventually return. I did that after throwing small rocks AND HITTING THE DEER with them only made them move a few yards further away. Hitting them with a slingshot ball stung more and they left...again, only temporarily. That town really should have hired some sharpshooters and brought them back if necessary a few years later.

Does typically bear two young each year, and the population growth in the very few years we lived there was visually noticeable. They had virtually no predation of any kind. The few coyote that had not been run off by loose dogs (who were obviously of no help in keeping deer numbers down) were regarded as vicious threats by pet owners.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:28 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Put the signage up before deer season and kind of make the rounds every week or so to see if it looks like somebody has been hunting on it anyway. If there's signs of trespassing, get a couple deer cams, those motion activated cameras hunters use to see where deer are moving around, and set them up, hidden, around this area. If this shows people coming on your land, show it to your local sheriff or game warden to see if they know them. If they do, have them pass the word that this is a warning to stay away. If they show up on video a second time, you can file trespass charges against them. I've seen it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living