Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 06:50 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times

Advertisements

Just another war started because of no communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 09:02 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakParkForestParkExile View Post
Uh, you do realize it’s now May and most homes do have lesser polluting heating sources even if it gets cold at night?

With COVID around, right now is not the best time to pollute your OWN lungs, even if you’re young and healthy.

If that county or state wants to have a burn ban then the person would need to stop. I live in a rural community, but normal sized lots not acreage like the OP and a neighbor has a burn pit they use a couple times a week. They are not far from me and I have never smelled anything. Unless it is windy and you are downwind very unlikely it would have any effect at all on anyone.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:08 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
Why not take advantage of their offer to haul debris away at their own expense?
Neighbors might have breathing problems.
The smoke from your fires might be causing some people discomfort.
I think you should still use your fireplace but maybe burning refuse in your yard is more offensive. Take the rubbish to the dump instead. Takes a little extra effort but would go along way to keeping the peace.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:21 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Post Yard burn == natural debris, not "refuse" nor "rubbish".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I think you should still use your fireplace but maybe burning refuse in your yard is more offensive. Take the rubbish to the dump instead.
Yard burn is natural debris, not "refuse" nor "rubbish". Costs $$ to deliver to the dump, though first post says "they don’t want us to use our burn pile outside for yard burning. They said that they would even haul away my yard burn debris for free"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I hired a contractor to do several acres of brush clearing next week. There will be 2 large burn days to accomplish the task.
Maybe take them up on the "haul for free" offer and see if they still feel the same after seeing the volume, effort, and dumping cost?

Old 05-11-2020, 08:38 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
I lived very rural for many yrs and am now in town after the passing of my husband. I could burn the tree debris I raked up at the old home. Here, I have to bag it and haul it to the curb. I moved here a little over 1.5 yrs ago. I bagged an appx total of 150/ 39 gal leaf bags full of leaves and hauled to the curb (probably a bit more because I had maybe 15-20 larger construction use bags that I brought with me from the old house). I'm a 60 something yr old widow on SS. I have back issues and am on meds. This was not something I really took into consideration when I moved (yeah, dumb, I know). It takes me a good bit of meds to be able to do that. Kids around here don't want the $$ to do it and yard companies charge too much because it's not a 1 time deal. In a few yrs, I'm moving back to rural for many reasons but one of them is definitely so I can go back to burning the leaves and sticks. And burn them I will. I hate this crap.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:51 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
Yeah I just turned 60 last Saturday.
My body has aches and pains that will never go away.

It’s just under an hour each way to the dumps from my house.
I am not going to fill a few hundred plastic bags of yard waste.
I try to stay as green as possible and absolutely hate being a consumer of plastics.
We don’t burn garbage or trash just brush and wood.

I don’t think she properly thought out the costs of hauling my wood/brush away.
It is not going to be cheap.
She will end up hating me either way we go.

I just don’t think I can do much to accommodate her.
I will try to schedule the yard burns with her.
I will also not burn any paper products at all.
I will also keep my fires hot to avoid smoke.

The reason I posted this was to see if any of you had experienced a similar situation.
To be fair To her I don’t think she has been in this situation before either.

The last thing I want is to be a bad neighbor so this is rather frustrating.

Thank you all for your insights.

All the best.
Andy.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
So the hired help and I just burned 14-18 cubic yards of madrone branches and miscellaneous brush today.
It was a hot fire.
Hardly any smoke because of the heat and the rain.
It actually smelled nice.
Kinda like a “camp fire”.
Not one complaint.
Yet.

I think she was a bit miffed because I burned paper and cardboard in my stove a couple of weeks ago
I won’t do that again.

I think maybe the paper products set her off.
I pray that it will no longer be an issue because I will no longer do that and I just want to get along.

So as I see it... so good so far.
We actually called her to schedule this burn and she was out of town, so I took advantage of that
Once again she offered to pay several hundred dollars to avoid this burn.
Not gonna happen.
Sorry.
Just can’t and won’t fix this that way.

Andy.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:56 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Have you actually TALKED to her yet? A real discussion, not just making assumptions based on a text?
You seem to be getting upset and taking action (wearing blankets) based on just one text message, without having actually discussed possible different solutions with your neighbor.
Have they given you any reason to think that they wouldn't be accepting of a reasonable compromise that doesn't require you to give up using your heating source and wearing a blanket around the house?

I see a lot of "I think" in your posts, maybe you need to find out for sure face to face.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:53 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,505,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Have you actually TALKED to her yet? A real discussion, not just making assumptions based on a text?
You seem to be getting upset and taking action (wearing blankets) based on just one text message, without having actually discussed possible different solutions with your neighbor.
Have they given you any reason to think that they wouldn't be accepting of a reasonable compromise that doesn't require you to give up using your heating source and wearing a blanket around the house?

I see a lot of "I think" in your posts, maybe you need to find out for sure face to face.
Did you read the OP's last post?

Old 05-13-2020, 11:12 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Here is a report from someone who is on the other side of such a story.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...g-into-my.html

"I am trying to have a peaceful weekend home, catching up on laundry. But instead, I am suffering from a sinus headache because one of our neighbors burning some type of wood. The smoke smell is entering my house, despite that I have checked to make sure all the windows and doors are sealed tight.

A few years ago we had an energy audit and the house checked to make sure it was sealed. I have 2 1/2 acres, so not exactly on top of my neighbors.

I have allergies, asthma and lots of sinus issues. The wood smoke is not helping the situation. We heat the house by electric and a propane gas stove insert in our fireplace. Which are both very clean.

I know I can’t make them stop burning their stoves but I am going to hope that they will stop burning wood so I can stop suffering.
"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living