Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 05:48 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I plan on moving to an area that depends more on septic systems than city sewer systems. I have had septic system before, so I know what to do about the tank. But what about the lines if I get a used house.
Is there a way to find out how many feet of lines are run and if they are clear? I last had a septic system about 20 years ago. Have they changed much?
Depending on the age of your house, the town should have a septic system design plan that is also located on a survey plan with dimensions to the junction boxes and fields or the location to the galleries if it’s a drywall type design, depending on the soil.

Occasionally you can see the individual junction boxes/markers, however for the most part they are not visible, however the survey plan has dimensions to each box. Most all municipalities require that this specific information be included on all of the septic plans as an “as built” submission prior to obtaining a C of O for the house. Hope this helps!

And septic systems have changed slightly over the years, however the specific type of soil is the single largest factor in determining the overall effectiveness and cost of an individual septic system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 06:11 AM

456 posts, read 348,458 times
Check with the county. We found out after we moved into this house and the septic failed that we could have had the county certify the septic for $100. That would have saved us a lot of money!

Old 11-26-2020, 01:24 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
There is no comparison, a sewer system belongs to your municipality, a septic system belongs to the homeowner.

Regards
Gemstone1
Rural home = septic tank (1 acre or more). Subdivision home = sewer system (Half acre or less).

Hate to use this to base decision between choosing older rural home and newer/new home in subdivision.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:22 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Rural home = septic tank (1 acre or more). Subdivision home = sewer system (Half acre or less).

Hate to use this to base decision between choosing older rural home and newer/new home in subdivision.

I grew up in a neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots and individual septic systems. We did have a community well.

Availability of a sewer system depends on the size of the town and what they have in place where the neighborhood is. It really varies.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I grew up in a neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots and individual septic systems. We did have a community well.

Availability of a sewer system depends on the size of the town and what they have in place. It really varies.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:39 PM

Did I misunderstand your post? It seemed like you were saying a subdivision home of half acre or less = sewer system. My post is to convey that that's not necessarily so. There are lots of country and suburban subdivisions on smaller lots with septic systems.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Did I misunderstand your post? It seemed like you were saying a subdivision home of half acre or less = sewer system. My post is to convey that that's not necessarily so. There are lots of country and suburban subdivisions on smaller lots with septic systems.
tHAT'S GREat But what areas? Most of the areas I see in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are septic that are 1 acre or more.

Half an acre where there are subdivisions with the new and newer homes are all sewer?

Old 11-26-2020, 07:06 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
tHAT'S GREat But what areas? Most of the areas I see in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are septic that are 1 acre or more.

Half an acre where there are subdivisions with the new and newer homes are all sewer?
Yes, it’s usually at least one acre lots since well (drilled wells) distances to the septic fields have to be a minimum of 100 feet if the elevation is higher than the fields or 200 feet away if the well is on the downhill side of the septic fields.

Also, most County Health standards require a 100% expansion area beyond the approved area of the proposed system so that there is enough of an expansion area should the original design system fail. It would be almost impossible to comply with the newer regulations on a 1/4 acre lot even without a well on a lot that size. A 1/2 lot would also be very difficult depending on the percolation rate of the soil.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Small towns… or a little ways out of town. There are subdivisions all over that are not on sewer. Most subdivisions outside of city limits around here would not be served by any sewer plant.

The world was not created with sewer pipes running everywhere :-)

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 11-26-2020 at 07:20 PM..

Old 11-26-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes, it’s usually at least one acre lots since well (drilled wells) distances to the septic fields have to be a minimum of 100 feet if the elevation is higher than the fields or 200 feet away if the well is on the downhill side of the septic fields.

Also, most County Health standards require a 100% expansion area beyond the approved area of the proposed system so that there is enough of an expansion area should the original design system fail. It would be almost impossible to comply with the newer regulations on a 1/4 acre lot even without a well on a lot that size. A 1/2 lot would also be very difficult depending on the percolation rate of the soil.
Community wells for a subdivision are a heck of a lot easier to figure than inventing a sewer system that doesn’t exist in the country. And for many reasons including those that you mention, that’s what often happens.

You guys are sticking on a topic that we don’t need to decide here. Whether or not sewer is available is not something that is a mystery for any particular property. and obviously varies by area but it’s easy to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living