Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 07:31 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcq View Post
I've got a wireless Dakota alert driveway system with 3 different sensors and 1/4 mile range. The alert triggers a strobe and audible announcement in my bedroom telling me which sensor tripped. Living 1400 yards from the Mexican border we get frequent 'International Travelers' thru our property. My driveway is lined with 4 strands of barbed wire backed up in places with razor wire and partially electrified. My 110 pound Labrador reacts to the alert also. Yesterday, the driveway alert tripped and I went out in the rain to see a nice black Mercedes coming towards the house. Grabbed a jacket and my dog and I went out to find the car stuck sideways trying to turn around on the hill. Walking towards it, the driver rolled down the window revealing a very young lady. She said she was supposed to pick up some people at this address and had no cell reception so couldn't contact them. I told her sorry not here, got her turned around and she left parking on the highway next to my mailbox. I immediately called Border Patrol about a suspected load vehicle. Within minutes multiple units were on the scene followed by lots of yelling. This has been happening quite often here. Border Patrol will seize the vehicle and let the driver walk. Guess somebody's parents are going to lose a late model Mercedes!
Beautiful dog. It must be so difficult for folks living near the border but it sounds like you know how to take care of yourself. Keep safe and take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 10:08 AM

84 posts, read 57,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Beautiful dog. It must be so difficult for folks living near the border but it sounds like you know how to take care of yourself. Keep safe and take care.
Thank You! As others have mentioned our neighbors also work together to help keep an eye on each other and all are armed should the need arise. Myself with both day and night optics handheld and mounted. We're close enough to a Border Patrol Field Office that I can have multiple armed Federal Officers respond within minutes to my property so we feel pretty secure here.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:47 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
I too live at the end of a long dirt driveway...an obvious private drive, and yet people would constantly be driving in and looking around. That pretty well stopped when I put these two signs at the beginning of my driveway at road.

and for the religious folk:

Old 05-02-2021, 04:34 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I too live at the end of a long dirt driveway...an obvious private drive, and yet people would constantly be driving in and looking around. That pretty well stopped when I put these two signs at the beginning of my driveway at road.

LOL!!! This topic is an issue for me, as DD and son in law's place is at the very end of their country road, with the house at the top of a hill at the end of a long driveway. Sometimes people would think the driveway is an extension of the road. They'd see the house, see us, look confused, then turn around and leave. The driveway ends in a very large parking area that surrounds the garage and back of the house. My young grandsons spend a lot of time playing on the parking area and driveway...drawing with chalk, pushing their Tonka trucks, riding their bikes, etc. I'm concerned when unwanted visitors/solicitors barrel up the driveway unannounced. I worry about the boys getting hit (I babysit them during the summer months). I bought a sign a couple of years ago at our local Tractor Supply, "Keep Out, Private Drive", but DD and son in law frequently get UPS or Fed Ex deliveries at the house and those trucks come up the hill pretty fast. I wanted to add a sign saying, "Children at Play", but DD doesn't want it advertised that there are young kids there, for obvious reasons.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:38 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
LOL!!! This topic is an issue for me, as DD and son in law's place is at the very end of their country road, with the house at the top of a hill at the end of a long driveway. Sometimes people would think the driveway is an extension of the road. They'd see the house, see us, look confused, then turn around and leave. The driveway ends in a very large parking area that surrounds the garage and back of the house. My young grandsons spend a lot of time playing on the parking area and driveway...drawing with chalk, pushing their Tonka trucks, riding their bikes, etc. I'm concerned when unwanted visitors/solicitors barrel up the driveway unannounced. I worry about the boys getting hit (I babysit them during the summer months). I bought a sign a couple of years ago at our local Tractor Supply, "Keep Out, Private Drive", but DD and son in law frequently get UPS or Fed Ex deliveries at the house and those trucks come up the hill pretty fast. I wanted to add a sign saying, "Children at Play", but DD doesn't want it advertised that there are young kids there, for obvious reasons.
I wish I had a set up like that. Only one way in and one way out. If someone shows up they better have some kind of business with me by appt. otherwise I already know who is coming or who isn't if you know what I mean which in case people like that stand out and have no business on "Private Property" Easy to spot and don't have to worry about those solicitors knocking on my door like I do now.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:19 AM

84 posts, read 57,093 times
Default Slowing Them Down

Quote:
LOL!!! This topic is an issue for me, as DD and son in law's place is at the very end of their country road, with the house at the top of a hill at the end of a long driveway. I bought a sign a couple of years ago at our local Tractor Supply, "Keep Out, Private Drive", but DD and son in law frequently get UPS or Fed Ex deliveries at the house and those trucks come up the hill pretty fast. I wanted to add a sign saying, "Children at Play", but DD doesn't want it advertised that there are young kids there, for obvious reasons.
Our house also at the top of a hill. In addition to the private property signs and Wireless alert at the property entrance I installed a sign at the base of the driveway to alert our delivery drivers to slow down near the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Unannounced visitors-bear-5-7-15.1.jpg  

Old 05-02-2021, 10:15 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Lightbulb Privately owned "STOP" signs are perfectly legal, and if people think it is a public road, they'll obey them!

Quote:
I'm concerned when unwanted visitors/solicitors barrel up the driveway unannounced. I worry about the boys getting hit (I babysit them during the summer months). I bought a sign a couple of years ago at our local Tractor Supply, "Keep Out, Private Drive", but DD and son in law frequently get UPS or Fed Ex deliveries at the house and those trucks come up the hill pretty fast.
There's a few tricks you can try to reduce this issue:
  • Privately owned "STOP" signs are perfectly legal on your own property
  • Build a set of stone "gates" near the bottom of the driveway. Not blocking the road, just giving the impression that the road is narrower, and also reinforcing the 'private drive" feel.
  • If you have the driveway resurfaced/sealed, you could buy a can of highway paint and add "traffic calming" patterns painted on the road surface itself.

Quote:
I wanted to add a sign saying, "Children at Play", but DD doesn't want it advertised that there are young kids there, for obvious reasons.
Get yourself one of these instead:

I put up a similar sign warning of deer after a contractor went off the side of my driveway trying to avoid running one over during fall rut. I told him next time to just hit it, we'd have a BBQ.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 05-02-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 05-02-2021, 10:20 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Many of these posts sound like people are reaching to find a reason to justify their guns. I own a gun and support the 2nd amendment. I also believe just because I have rights provided by the 2nd amendment that I don’t necessarily need to exercise them. I would never come to the door with a gun. If I was a afraid and didn’t like the look of the people outside I wouldn’t open the door at all. I would be inside with my gun in the best place to ambush. If people are looking for trouble I am not going to stick my neck out the front door that’s the worst place to be.

As far as casing the place out... most insurance deductibles are cheaper than defense attorneys that specialize in castle doctrine/2nd degree murder/manslaughter cases.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Many of these posts sound like people are reaching to find a reason to justify their guns. I own a gun and support the 2nd amendment. I also believe just because I have rights provided by the 2nd amendment that I don’t necessarily need to exercise them. I would never come to the door with a gun. If I was a afraid and didn’t like the look of the people outside I wouldn’t open the door at all. I would be inside with my gun in the best place to ambush. If people are looking for trouble I am not going to stick my neck out the front door that’s the worst place to be.

As far as casing the place out... most insurance deductibles are cheaper than defense attorneys that specialize in castle doctrine/2nd degree murder/manslaughter cases.
A great lawyer will cost you alot $$$$ and lots of time in court dates. Just drags on and on. Appearances, hearings etc.

Better off to get a sign:

"By appointment only". Sign

Old 05-02-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living