Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 08:33 AM

84 posts, read 57,093 times

Advertisements

As mentioned in an earlier post, I live near the US/Mexico border with frequent 'travelers' thru the property headed north. I placed this sign on an oak tree in my driveway as a bit of humor.
Attached Thumbnails
Unannounced visitors-driveway-sign.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 08:39 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
I got so tired of the JW's driving up my long driveway wanting to convert me. I got as nasty as I could, swore at them, told them if they didnt get the f off my property Id turn my pitt bulls loose. I even asked them for money...and they still kept coming. I raised the white flag and put a solar gate at the road, and it finally stopped. Best thing I ever did.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:18 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I got so tired of the JW's driving up my long driveway wanting to convert me. I got as nasty as I could, swore at them, told them if they didnt get the f off my property Id turn my pitt bulls loose. I even asked them for money...and they still kept coming. I raised the white flag and put a solar gate at the road, and it finally stopped. Best thing I ever did.
A solar gate?
I would have thought the Rotweilers took care of that problem. Very protective breed and their territory is beyond other breeds.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:51 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Religious/church solicitation doesn't happen much anymore at her home (I guess word got around it was a waste of time), but DD has a business where she regularly gets these two JW ladies who come once or twice a month. They never buy anything, and are very persistent (DD is a devout atheist, btw). When DD or one of the sales staff notices them pulling in her parking lot, they sound the alert and. get frantically "busy"....in the stock room, get on a fake conference call, pretend to be filling a rush order. If there are customers in the store, the two JW's will pointedly stand there and wait until the customers are finished and leave, even if it takes 20 minutes to a half hour. These JW ladies then always ask if DD/staff have time to :"pray with them", and DD will tell them politely that no, now is a bad time, we're very busy. Then they'll leave literature, drive away (until next time), and DD drops said literature in the trash. This has been going on for a couple of years, I've been there to see it many times. They just don't give up, even though you'd think they'd figure it out by now.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:37 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Religious/church solicitation doesn't happen much anymore at her home (I guess word got around it was a waste of time), but DD has a business where she regularly gets these two JW ladies who come once or twice a month. They never buy anything, and are very persistent (DD is a devout atheist, btw). When DD or one of the sales staff notices them pulling in her parking lot, they sound the alert and. get frantically "busy"....in the stock room, get on a fake conference call, pretend to be filling a rush order. If there are customers in the store, the two JW's will pointedly stand there and wait until the customers are finished and leave, even if it takes 20 minutes to a half hour. These JW ladies then always ask if DD/staff have time to :"pray with them", and DD will tell them politely that no, now is a bad time, we're very busy. Then they'll leave literature, drive away (until next time), and DD drops said literature in the trash. This has been going on for a couple of years, I've been there to see it many times. They just don't give up, even though you'd think they'd figure it out by now.
If she owns the business, she can talk to the police or sheriff about a "no trespass" order. What is described goes beyond proselytizing and into harassment, intimidation, stalking, and disruption of business. There is no need to accept such behavior. (Personally, I might just bring up how many false prophet leaders in the religion have predicted end times and reflect upon the wisdom [or lack of] of following such a faith.)

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/godles...-of-the-world/

Old 05-04-2021, 10:09 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
LOL!!! This topic is an issue for me, as DD and son in law's place is at the very end of their country road, with the house at the top of a hill at the end of a long driveway. Sometimes people would think the driveway is an extension of the road. They'd see the house, see us, look confused, then turn around and leave. The driveway ends in a very large parking area that surrounds the garage and back of the house. My young grandsons spend a lot of time playing on the parking area and driveway...drawing with chalk, pushing their Tonka trucks, riding their bikes, etc. I'm concerned when unwanted visitors/solicitors barrel up the driveway unannounced. I worry about the boys getting hit (I babysit them during the summer months). I bought a sign a couple of years ago at our local Tractor Supply, "Keep Out, Private Drive", but DD and son in law frequently get UPS or Fed Ex deliveries at the house and those trucks come up the hill pretty fast. I wanted to add a sign saying, "Children at Play", but DD doesn't want it advertised that there are young kids there, for obvious reasons.
A bunch of chickens running loose tends to slow down traffic.

If one gets hit, immediately claim it was your prize Barnvelder worth hundreds of dollars. Carry on about it.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:29 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
It's been some years since someone stopped by to talk to me about religion. I listen politely, but do not invite them inside. I want them standing on the porch, not sitting comfortably inside. The last time was a mother who had her young daughter do the presentation. The husband remained in their vehicle. My main concern was that their vehicle was not AWD/4WD. I have an AWD/4WD driveway. They were able to leave without getting stuck.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:53 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
I have a friend who has a perverse sense of humor. Where his lane turns off the road it is in pretty dense woods. It stays that way for about 200 yards through some pretty sharp curves. just where it opens into an open field he has signs he scrounged when he was in the military warning that the area is an ex artillery impact area and there could be unexploded ordnance and to stay on marked roadways. Then he has an old army field phone hung on a post and a big red flag and a sign do not cross rifle range when flag is out without calling range control first. You go to the field phone and there is a hole in the case where a rifle round hit it and went thru the entire phone. There are also two small older craters just off the dirt road. You can see his house on a rise another500 yards across a big grassy field. Most people give up at that point and slowly back up to the main road. He has a camera in a tree watching the area that he watches for entertainment sometimes.

What only his friends know is that the Red Flag is always out, the phone never worked and there is an old shovel leaning against a tree near the road if he isn't home (so friends don't drive all the way in when he isn't there). The craters are from a couple stumps that got removed about 5 years ago and never filled in. They just add to the ambiance.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:17 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midvalleydad View Post
i have a friend who has a perverse sense of humor. Where his lane turns off the road it is in pretty dense woods. It stays that way for about 200 yards through some pretty sharp curves. Just where it opens into an open field he has signs he scrounged when he was in the military warning that the area is an ex artillery impact area and there could be unexploded ordnance and to stay on marked roadways. Then he has an old army field phone hung on a post and a big red flag and a sign do not cross rifle range when flag is out without calling range control first. You go to the field phone and there is a hole in the case where a rifle round hit it and went thru the entire phone. There are also two small older craters just off the dirt road. You can see his house on a rise another500 yards across a big grassy field. Most people give up at that point and slowly back up to the main road. He has a camera in a tree watching the area that he watches for entertainment sometimes.

What only his friends know is that the red flag is always out, the phone never worked and there is an old shovel leaning against a tree near the road if he isn't home (so friends don't drive all the way in when he isn't there). The craters are from a couple stumps that got removed about 5 years ago and never filled in. They just add to the ambiance.
:d

Old 05-09-2021, 04:57 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
A solar gate?
I would have thought the Rotweilers took care of that problem. Very protective breed and their territory is beyond other breeds.
Yes a solar gate.

No rottwheilers or pit bulls here, just a couple of ancient shelties that are nearly blind. But they didnt know that. Only way to stop them was to gate them out. Persistant .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living