Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 08:58 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The high-efficiency (HE) washers are best, as they use less water, whether front or top load. Having a front load now, I would recommend top load. Like most people we know with front load, mold is an issue with it.
For the dishwasher, look for the Energy Star Seal. Those will be the most efficient and use the least water. Then you should try to use a phosphate-free detergent.
We leave the door open on our front loader, and never have mold. After a load, it's wide open, then closed to where the latch is just touching, leaving a gap of a couple of inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Low water volume, liquid (never powder) detergent, stagger wash days or limit loads / day.

I have found some newer 'self sensing' volume washers to use 4-5x as much water as my 1960's version washing machine uses. (Tenants are killing the health of my septic systems with their 'new' high efficiency' (?) low water use. One 4 person family is using 400 gal / day, where previous tenant used <40 gal / day. (metered at well) This family got a 'new' HE washing machine, previous use was ~ 220 gal / day.

We took a newer HE washer home from an rental and tried it. We went back to our 1960 'selectable' water level and septic is much happier. (I have a Septic installer / inspector license)

Know your ACTUAL use and monitor accordingly.
400 gallons per day? That's ridiculous. Is there a problem with the washing machine? We didn't use that much when we ran our sprinkler system for the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
In 50+ yrs of my own septic systems, I have never had a problem with my own personal septic system, and only recently (last 6 yrs) have (12) different rural home tenants been a problem. Now they are LOTS of septic trouble. EXCEPT for those who are age 40+ and grew up rural.

National average water use is 70 - 100g / day per occupant. (per planning needs)

Ours is closer to 14 gal / day per occupant (including weekly washing machine use~ 3 loads).

Our 1960's washing machine uses ~ 20gal / load on medium water level.

The thirsty one was an LG. (HE) ~ 40 g / load w/ sensor. Tenant does over 10 loads / week, often 4/ day (why... I do not know... Teenage girls do not get all that dirty.) Their 'soaking' baths (huge tub) are burdensome to water well / treatment system too. When Covid allows me to get rid of them... they will be the first tenants I have ever had to ask to leave in the last 40+ yrs of renting rural places. (lucky on my part).
We average about 3500 gallons per month for 3 people in an inner city house. That's with 10 laundry loads per week. We could cut that back to 7, but we each do our own laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 04:59 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
We are a family of only two people. I normally take my shower at night and my wife takes her shower in the morning. So there is space between them, but I may have to give up my long hot showers. As mentioned before when we had a septic tank system before we had issues when it rained a lot and it was a flat lot. The lot we are moving to is sloped and in NW Arkansas which is rocky (how much I don't know). The lot had huge trees on it before they were cut down. It is .39 of an acre. The house before this one my wife very seldom used the dishwasher. She did want a washer with a quick wash feature being she had smaller loads some times. I think we will be OK, but I want to help the system every way I can.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:00 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Is this a new build or does septic already exist on this lot? The size of your house (baths/beds) should have dictated the capacity of the septic system. If the system has been serviced before, find out by whom, and ask them about its history. When you say "long" showers what do you mean? Have to be pretty extreme to overwhelm a properly functioning system.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:02 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We are a family of only two people. I normally take my shower at night and my wife takes her shower in the morning. So there is space between them, but I may have to give up my long hot showers. As mentioned before when we had a septic tank system before we had issues when it rained a lot and it was a flat lot. The lot we are moving to is sloped and in NW Arkansas which is rocky (how much I don't know). The lot had huge trees on it before they were cut down. It is .39 of an acre. The house before this one my wife very seldom used the dishwasher. She did want a washer with a quick wash feature being she had smaller loads some times. I think we will be OK, but I want to help the system every way I can.

It's good to take a few steps to increase the life of your septic, but I think you're worrying too much. Take your hot showers. Wash your clothes. Your septic system should be designed for you to live a very normal life doing what normal people do.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:54 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
You overthink this, OP.
Don't use harsh chemicals, use liquid detergents. Check on soap build up in drain pipe from the house regularly. Clean filter regularly - in septic sediment tank. Don't worry about water use, pump will handle it.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:00 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
I ended up getting the top load washer we looked at in the beginning. It is a HE model and it had the quick wash feature my wife wanted. It was in the late 70's when I had the previous septic tank installed. We used for about 25 years before we sold the house and moved. So I guess it was not that bad. I am sure the systems have improved since then.

I don't know what the filter is that ukrkoz is referring to.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:57 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
As we are looking for a new washer/dryer the septic system popped in my head. Are front load machines better being they use less water for septic tanks?

Edit: I guess I need to ask about dishwashers also. Are some better than others for septic tanks?
Didn't think it made a difference.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:08 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
As we are looking for a new washer/dryer the septic system popped in my head. Are front load machines better being they use less water for septic tanks?

Edit: I guess I need to ask about dishwashers also. Are some better than others for septic tanks?
As long as you minimize all soap and cooking oil that dumped down the drains, your septic system should function properly, for many years.

The system is designed sized according to the number of bedrooms in a house and with only two people in a 2 or 3 bedroom house, you will not even come close to overloading the system. No need to be concerned with using a dishwasher since even the older ones are said to use less water than hand washing dishes in the sink.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:20 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
As long as you minimize all soap and cooking oil that dumped down the drains, your septic system should function properly, for many years.

The system is designed sized according to the number of bedrooms in a house and with only two people in a 2 or 3 bedroom house, you will not even come close to overloading the system. No need to be concerned with using a dishwasher since even the older ones are said to use less water than hand washing dishes in the sink.
You wouldn't dump cooking oil down a sewer system Soap is fine for a sewer system.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Of course all septic systems are different ... age, load, size, soils...

The one I'm most concerned about is from the 1940's, single chamber small tank (round, ~500 Ga), (2) small leach lines. Served an elderly couple fine for 40 yrs. but... new renters... Family of 4 with 3 teenage girls...

When I install my own systems I use 1500 g tanks and 400+ ft of chambers

I have (4) aerobic Septic Systems which can also be problematic with renters.

EVERYTHING that goes down, must be reasonable.

Newer systems have a 'filter' sock at tank inlet to stop the 'floaty stuff' that will clog pipes / Distribution box and drain lines.

Lower water use through the system..., the better (as is possible)

Std use is fine (they are designed for that), Excessive water use, or small system... trouble is brewing.

Do stagger wash days if possible.

Grey water recovery / recycle is a great idea (where legal).

Many modern grey water recovery systems target flower and ornamental watering.

Aerobic systems often use a 'sprinkler system' for lawn for gray water use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living