Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 04:38 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times

Advertisements

As we are looking for a new washer/dryer the septic system popped in my head. Are front load machines better being they use less water for septic tanks?

Edit: I guess I need to ask about dishwashers also. Are some better than others for septic tanks?

Last edited by reubenray; 03-30-2021 at 04:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The high-efficiency (HE) washers are best, as they use less water, whether front or top load. Having a front load now, I would recommend top load. Like most people we know with front load, mold is an issue with it.
For the dishwasher, look for the Energy Star Seal. Those will be the most efficient and use the least water. Then you should try to use a phosphate-free detergent.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Low water volume, liquid (never powder) detergent, stagger wash days or limit loads / day.

I have found some newer 'self sensing' volume washers to use 4-5x as much water as my 1960's version washing machine uses. (Tenants are killing the health of my septic systems with their 'new' high efficiency' (?) low water use. One 4 person family is using 400 gal / day, where previous tenant used <40 gal / day. (metered at well) This family got a 'new' HE washing machine, previous use was ~ 220 gal / day.

We took a newer HE washer home from an rental and tried it. We went back to our 1960 'selectable' water level and septic is much happier. (I have a Septic installer / inspector license)

Know your ACTUAL use and monitor accordingly.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:49 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
This is news to me. What sort of special rural housing demands washer water go into a septic tank? I’m asking the question but I’m not sure I want to hear the answer ———

I have never lived where the washer water goes the septic tank. It is routed to a leech line several hundred feet from the house.

We built the property we are now retired on, in 2003. There’s a septic system for the terlet and a leech line for the washer water and all the other tap water that drains.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:49 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
My only comment is never for any reason use bleach if you have a septic tank unless you like pumping it often.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:07 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
We have a septic and we don't baby it too much....

We use bleach sometimes, but not all the time... I do use only liquid soap, and we try to limit paper. Everything within reason.

I don't think clothes get clean enough with less water, so I will always buy standard washers as long as I can still find them.

The reason to limit loads is to allow the solids to settle... and every time you dump a lot of water at once you risk stirring up the solids. So give some time between loads if you're on an older single tank gravity system. The newer multiple chamber systems are designed to meter the water through at a controlled rate, so you should have to worry less if you have one of those.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:15 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
This is news to me. What sort of special rural housing demands washer water go into a septic tank? I’m asking the question but I’m not sure I want to hear the answer ———

I have never lived where the washer water goes the septic tank. It is routed to a leech line several hundred feet from the house.

We built the property we are now retired on, in 2003. There’s a septic system for the terlet and a leech line for the washer water and all the other tap water that drains.
Grey water often goes into septic. The dry well idea for wash water is an old idea that was abandoned when septic systems replaced cesspools. It recently has come back into favor.

Wash water in a septic system is generally fine. Problems occur with high water tables or a clogged field.

StealthRabbit - do you have a brand and model of that water wasting machine? My bet is that there is a defect, and there may be a recall. I get water from a cistern, and I know almost exactly what my washers use. My HE clothes washer uses 25 gallons per load on standard setting, and dishwasher uses 7 gallons +-.

Some people are just naturally low water users. I don't particularly care how much I use, since I have an unlimited supply, and probably use roughly 70 gal/day on average.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You could also do like my father back in the 1960s. The washer was in the garage about 20' higher than the back yard. He hooked up a hose to the washer and used it to water the trees and artichoke plants in the summer. The Amway detergent was labeled "biodegradable" so he thought it was safe for food crops.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:28 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Our septic is 25 yrs old and we don’t baby it at all. Top loading washer, dishwasher, use bleach when necessary, etc, etc. If the septic was designed correctly whats the object of babying it? Never heard of any of these limitations before.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Our septic is 25 yrs old and we don’t baby it at all. Top loading washer, dishwasher, use bleach when necessary, etc, etc. If the septic was designed correctly whats the object of babying it? Never heard of any of these limitations before.
In 50+ yrs of my own septic systems, I have never had a problem with my own personal septic system, and only recently (last 6 yrs) have (12) different rural home tenants been a problem. Now they are LOTS of septic trouble. EXCEPT for those who are age 40+ and grew up rural.

National average water use is 70 - 100g / day per occupant. (per planning needs)

Ours is closer to 14 gal / day per occupant (including weekly washing machine use~ 3 loads).

Our 1960's washing machine uses ~ 20gal / load on medium water level.

The thirsty one was an LG. (HE) ~ 40 g / load w/ sensor. Tenant does over 10 loads / week, often 4/ day (why... I do not know... Teenage girls do not get all that dirty.) Their 'soaking' baths (huge tub) are burdensome to water well / treatment system too. When Covid allows me to get rid of them... they will be the first tenants I have ever had to ask to leave in the last 40+ yrs of renting rural places. (lucky on my part).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living