Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 01:19 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,466 times

Advertisements

Going to have about 2 acres of my rural land cleared of overgrowth from previous owner neglect.
The lot was her residence but after she moved out the tall grasses and some brush took over and there are pine saplings between 1-3 in diameter that need to be cleared. Also 2-3 old sweetgum trees that I want gone.
Spoke with some local fellas that came out to give bids and depends on who I hire, it will be done by either forestry mulcher or D5 dozer.
Which would do better job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 01:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,737 posts, read 58,090,525 times
What is the end goal / future plans? For resale...Mulcher looks good for 6 months, then you must spray new growth. Dozer can reshape and irradicate weeds and bushes and trees. (Does more root damage)

Can you burn debris at your location? (some places don't allow). if not you better mulch.

Do you need any grading, site work or roads? If so dozer has a benefit.

Are you going to replant / reseed? Dozer has benefit.

Will the mulcher take out the stumps?

What is cost difference?

Old 04-05-2021, 04:41 PM

End Goal/Future Plans?: Well, for now no plans to build; but I want to seed the grounds so it doesn't overgrow back with weeds.
Yes the area is rural and burning is permitted; the dozer guy suggested he could make burn piles or push the 'debris' to a wooded edge of the property to let decay back to earth.
The lot was resided on so already graded with gravel drive and has an old well and septic (not sure their condition)
The mulcher guy did say he could take out stumps.
2 acres: mulcher $1800, dozer $1500

Another Q: I do have so firebreaks, power-lines and small open areas that total perhaps 5 acres that need 'mowing down' as will this cleared land when it regrows but I hesitate to buy a tractor and brush hog since I'm not there full-time and don't have secure storage for it. What are my options? Buying a used tractor (storage concern), paying someone to bushhog 2x year? Do equipment places rent bush hogs and tractors?
Help me with any suggestions to keep the growth under control at the lowest price possible.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
The problem with pushing it into piles is that you don't know how much dirt will also be in those piles. If there's a lot of dirt mixed in it, it won't burn so well. Even if it does burn, you'll still have those dirt piles that need leveling out.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:08 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,017,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The problem with pushing it into piles is that you don't know how much dirt will also be in those piles. If there's a lot of dirt mixed in it, it won't burn so well. Even if it does burn, you'll still have those dirt piles that need leveling out.
And it never completely burns anyway, especially the stumps with the roots attached.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:26 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,371,820 times
I've seen the results of a forestry mulcher ....amazing. I saw it tackle firewood size and larger hardwood trees with ease. Scarring left by a dozer would be a deal breaker for me.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-06-2021, 09:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
End Goal/Future Plans?: Well, for now no plans to build; but I want to seed the grounds so it doesn't overgrow back with weeds.
Yes the area is rural and burning is permitted; the dozer guy suggested he could make burn piles or push the 'debris' to a wooded edge of the property to let decay back to earth.
The lot was resided on so already graded with gravel drive and has an old well and septic (not sure their condition)
The mulcher guy did say he could take out stumps.
2 acres: mulcher $1800, dozer $1500

Another Q: I do have so firebreaks, power-lines and small open areas that total perhaps 5 acres that need 'mowing down' as will this cleared land when it regrows but I hesitate to buy a tractor and brush hog since I'm not there full-time and don't have secure storage for it. What are my options? Buying a used tractor (storage concern), paying someone to bushhog 2x year? Do equipment places rent bush hogs and tractors?
Help me with any suggestions to keep the growth under control at the lowest price possible.
For the extra $300 I'd pay the mulcher.

I have rented a walk-behind bushhog.

But, I'd imagine you can find someone that can do it locally for as cheap as you'd rent it (I think it was $100 a day.) Ask around the local filling station, tractor dealer, look at the bulletin boards in the diner, etc...I just checked facebook marketplace and the going rate seems to be $50-$80 an hour.

You could also get a tow-behind brush mower that you hook to an ATV. Cheaper, all said and done than buying a tractor, if you can tow it to the land on a small trailer and store it at home.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:56 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
I also have a couple of acres that need to be cleaned up due to neglect from the elderly previous owner.
The area I want cleaned up has tall trees and brush in between.
The sad part is that there a bunch of rhododendrons in there that I like.

I really want to clean it up and I am considering whacking it all other than the trees then replacing the rhododendrons.

Just not sure what I’m going to do but I need to improve that area.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the advice
the dozer guy did show me lots of photos of his work and he seems to take lots of pride in it so don't think he'd leave any ruts or dips.
Says he would leave it ready to seed condition and spent over an hour answering questions and giving advice. He said he could put it in a ditch that exists near the rear of the tree line or pile it for burning.
That said, I appreciate the general consensus that forestry mulching would be better.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I've seen the results of a forestry mulcher ....amazing. I saw it tackle firewood size and larger hardwood trees with ease. Scarring left by a dozer would be a deal breaker for me.

Regards
Gemstone1
We had about 4 acres mulched in Nov/Dec. My buddy told me that you could walk on it in flip-flops when he finished. I didn’t believe him until I saw the results. It still looks good today.

Today was my first day on-site seeing the results of the builder’s efforts. Until today, everything’s been done with us 1800 miles away.

Mulching results:

Walls go up tomorrow!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living