Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 07:34 PM

374 posts, read 378,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
NP, and don’t forget barbed wire. It’s cheap enough and a few strands on the outside of other fencing should keep coyotes from getting in your pen.
Nothing about this is true. Coyotes will jump, climb, or dig under almost any fence that isn't electrified. And they will kill your goats. They don't kill with one bite, like mountain lions, they just start eating at the back and work their way to the front.

Brushy hills are really hard to run electric fencing on, but it can be done, because I have done it. You need electric netting, with a good battery and charger (solar is often too weak especially in dry ground). The company to buy from is Premier One. They have a world of information on their website.

Goats need shelter from the elements, clean water at all times, good feed; they need regular hoof trimming, vaccines, deworming. They are not brush-removal machines. They take a good bit of labor and like all animals, will bring you joy and grief.

If you want to keep goats, learn how, get the right equipment, and keep them right.

If you want brush removed, hire a couple guys with brush cutters. Or buy a brush cutter and do it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 07:51 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Goats are adorable animals with personalities. I would love to have one as a pet.

Enjoy.
They really are fun! Like all the other farm animals we have ended up with, we underestimated at the beginning how much we would enjoy having them. With that... I don’t intend to talk anyone out of having goats if they want them... but they are living creatures, not just brush mowers, and they do require some accommodations, protection, care and shelter. And feed! They will not survive year around here without supplemental food.

MechAndy - our animals are the reason we can’t travel… And I know you travel quite a bit so unless you want to adopt a lifestyle that revolves around animal care it would probably be easier for you to just hire someone to cut brush :-) if that’s all you want.

Here below is a picture of a few of ours! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Any goat keepers here?-dc27ab6f-53cc-404e-9b17-87ba81f301b0.jpeg  

Old 04-13-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
Nothing about this is true. Coyotes will jump, climb, or dig under almost any fence that isn't electrified. And they will kill your goats. They don't kill with one bite, like mountain lions, they just start eating at the back and work their way to the front.

Brushy hills are really hard to run electric fencing on, but it can be done, because I have done it. You need electric netting, with a good battery and charger (solar is often too weak especially in dry ground). The company to buy from is Premier One. They have a world of information on their website.

Goats need shelter from the elements, clean water at all times, good feed; they need regular hoof trimming, vaccines, deworming. They are not brush-removal machines. They take a good bit of labor and like all animals, will bring you joy and grief.

If you want to keep goats, learn how, get the right equipment, and keep them right.

If you want brush removed, hire a couple guys with brush cutters. Or buy a brush cutter and do it yourself.

We cross posted many of the same thoughts!

Old 04-13-2021, 09:15 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:

You have me confused with Andy (OP). I advised Andy on everything you mentioned. The only thing different is fencing. Coyotes are a problem here, but they can’t get in my chicken pen, which is Redbrand fencing with hardware cloth on the bottom. Some mornings a coyote will be sitting out in front of the chicken coop, but can’t jump, climb or dig their way in after several years.

I agree about electric fencing, it’s the best. I also agree that animals should have good basic care. My goats were purchased to do a job. They had supplemental food, although they had voracious appetites. There wasn’t much they didn’t eat. I did their hooves, regularly wormed them and they had shelter and clean water. I didn’t pamper them, they were there to work. They were also pets. I refused to turn them into cabrito, but my goats were lucky. This was Texas after all and people asked. I’m sure Andy will give his animals good care too. Goats don’t need a lot of fussing to have a decent life.

Last edited by Taz22; 04-13-2021 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 11:32 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
I do like to travel a bit so I are downsizing on animal ownership.

One of our kids is currently renting the guest house on the property.
The term guest house is really stretching it.

It’s a nice loft built above an artist shop.
It’s a very large place.
It is well insulated and all that but very humble .

I might use an electric fence around my hives if they get raided but I would rather not.
I am not a fan of barbed wire.

We have a over a hundred rhododendrons (which I like) and apparently goats don’t do well with them.

I was hoping goats would fix our overgrown brush issues on the cheap but I am now thinking 3-4K dollars might work better for us.

Damn it.
I’m just a cheap guy at heart and I would rather toss money else where.

Andy.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:59 AM

Yeah - Unfortunately, to have a successful goat and predator system, you'd probably still have to spend the 3-4K dollars.

Rhodies are very toxic to goats. And azaleas. My vet had a rule of thumb that has proved *mostly* true, that any shrub or bush that is both leafy and evergreen, should be initially suspected to be toxic to goats. Local exception to that rule is salal. They can eat salal.

Since the thread woke back up, I'll share another pic we took this morning of our goats eating blackberries on the hill below us... We just got this fenced last year. We fenced down the steep part of the hill with hard galvanized hog panels backed up with electric wire, and the flat part down below is fenced with wire mesh and 2 hot wires, one low, one high. If you end up interested in taking that on, I could post more pics. It was our third attempt to fence that part of the property, after regular wire mesh and electric netting, failed to hold up or work over time and use and varied terrain.
Attached Thumbnails
Any goat keepers here?-goats-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-15-2021 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yeah - Unfortunately, to have a successful goat and predator system, you'd probably still have to spend the 3-4K dollars.

Rhodies are very toxic to goats. And azaleas. My vet had a rule of thumb that has proved *mostly* true, that any shrub or bush that is both leafy and evergreen, should be initially suspected to be toxic to goats. Local exception to that rule is salal. They can eat salal.

Since the thread woke back up, I'll share another pic we took this morning of our goats eating blackberries on the hill below us... We just got this fenced last year. We fenced down the steep part of the hill with hard galvanized hog panels backed up with electric wire, and the flat part down below is fenced with wire mesh and 2 hot wires, one low, one high. If you end up interested in taking that on, I could post more pics. It was our third attempt to fence that part of the property, after regular wire mesh and electric netting, failed to hold up or work over time and use and varied terrain.
One of those goats looks like a sheep!

Old 04-15-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
One of those goats looks like a sheep!

Those are all goats, some are just a little too round. We do have sheep also though! Sheep in this picture! .... and a bit of the galvanized fencing we ran down the hill. Best solution we've found so far, for goats, in areas where electric is likely to get shorted out by brush. In most areas we have since added electric on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Any goat keepers here?-2020-05-14-img_5578.jpg  

Old 04-17-2021, 09:34 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Goats are wonderful, for weed abatement. Much better than *Roundup.*

Wish they ate olive trees...

I'm liking the "Rent a Goat" thing. A lot.

The US Navy uses goats on San Clemente Island, and Camp Pendleton. No complaints from the goats, AFAIK.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:30 PM

Weed abatement methods compared:

1. Goats
pro: cheaper than humans with machines. Add fertilizer as they work. Non-toxic. Cute.
con: require fencing, protection from predators, shelter, other routine livestock care. Do not remove woody debris, or kill brush except with successive grazings.

2. Roundup or other herbicide
pro: cheapest, simplest.
con: poison. Will kill fish if it gets in streams. Non-specific, kills everything.

3. Humans with machines
pro: fast, targeted.
con: expensive. noisy, use fossil fuels. If using vehicles, extremely destructive of topsoil structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living