Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 10:45 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times

Advertisements

My niece lives in Daly City, CA - south of San Francisco and the town uses Goats to clear empty lots. she said the first time she saw them it blew her mind. 10-12 goats herded down the street to the empty lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 10:13 AM

6,864 posts, read 4,860,189 times
I was talking to a guy with a goat renting business last month. Goats were his side business, he was doing other work for me. I do have acreage and I asked his rates and what they can do. It was 180 dollars to set up and then 15 dollars per goat per day.

As for owning goats, they can be very destructive. You need to keep them fenced. They are smart. They will find any weakness. ( Sheep will find any weakness as well.) They have nothing to do all day except eat and think of means if escape. Your neighbor's favorite plants call out to them.

We got rid of our cows and sheep years ago. I've experienced chasing them over hill and dale. Fortunately when they escaped (only a couple times) they didn't get into the property of the neighbor growing nursery stock.
His own cows escaped and did thousands of dollars in damage.

I don't know what kind of brush or how much you want removed, but we hired a company that specialized in brush removal. A large machine came in and just ground everything up. No slash piles to burn!
It wasn't cheap but it was effective. You could also price what it would cost for someone with a bull dozer. Or rent a small one and do it yourself.

If you really want goats invest in the fence and a goat shelter. Read up on proper care. Hoof care is important.
Having livestock has advantages and disadvantages. It's not work free. I was thinking of getting my fences repaired (my late DH used to do it, but I can't) and getting a few heifers again to eat the pasture grass. Then I remembered the work involved and decided it was easier for me to just get on the tractor for a few hours three or four times a year and mow.

Livestock also attracts flies. And involves feeding in the winter and muddy boots. Be sure you have goat keeper written all over you before going down that road. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living