Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 07:16 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times

Advertisements

My elderly mother thinks that I need 2-3 goats for my rural property to do the brush clean up.

At first I thought she was nuts...
but then it made me wonder.

We actually kept a Nubian Dairy Goat at the time when we first got married.
We were on a half acre of level land, only had one goat and “Nelly” was a real *****.
But she was our *****.

I was 21 years old and the wife was 18 at that time so we didn’t know any better.

Yes I know you can’t have just one goat but we did.
She was the meanest SOB ever to others and did property damage like no other.
She killed the best gardens ever and attacked most everyone that wasn’t part of the family.
Nelly was a big goat with horns and took no gruff from anyone but she was no doubt lonely.

So we now have a bit more land that really could use a brush cleaning.
It is on a hill and impossible to fence unless I spend big money.
I don’t have big money.

The thing is,
I am actually pondering on this.
God help me.

So there are a few issues.
I don’t have a fence.
I want to go away for a bit all the time.

On the plus side there is a guest house here that my kid rents from me.
So I am a bit covered on that to a degree.
I also can supply a decent auto water system easily.

I also have thought of a floating gated fence type corral thing that can be easily moved.
I am thinking metal panels and lots of baling wire.

I also pondered on doing a trade for a rental agreement with a local goat keeper here to do this so I can stop this when ever I need to and return the goats.

So my questions are,
Can I by chance self automate this to a a degree, I mean like 2-3 days of no work of keeping them?

My thoughts are this seems ok as long as we are able to relocate the floating corral once a week so the don’t chew on tree bark.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 11:06 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
I used to keep a couple of Nubians for the all brush in the pasture in Texas. Goats are easy to keep, food, water, fencing, ivermectin and trimming hooves occasionally.

You can leave them as long as they have water and food. Maybe an auto water source, and a good supply of grazing. If you’re going to leave, put out hay to supplement the grazing if you think they’ll run out. Two or three days should be fine. If it rains a lot where you are, they’d appreciate some shelter but not necessary for an afternoon shower. Coyotes might be a problem, but fencing they can’t get through will take care of that. Don’t use chicken wire, use Redbrand farm fencing or hardware cloth. Some mornings, a coyote will be sitting outside in front of my chicken coop, but he can’t get in. I used Redbrand fencing and doubled the strength with a layer of hardware cloth around the bottom. Double fencing is double the cost, so either should be fine for goats.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:21 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
Thanks for the fencing tip.
I appreciate it.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I have *counting* 9 goats and a couple sheep.

They will clear brush, but the results will be random and intermittent. They won't always graze/browse where you want them to be, and contrary to popular myth, they won't eat everything, they are actually quite picky. AND, there are several common local things they should NOT eat, that are poisonous. Like tansy and bracken and rhododendron and a few others. Tell me what's on your hill and I can probably tell you if your goats would even eat it. They are good on Himalayan blackberries if you have that!

Goat and Predator proof fencing is not simple or cheap, particularly if it's on a hill. Biggest issue around here is going to be predator protection. They are vulnerable to coyotes and big cats and roaming dogs. We keep ours closed in a secure barn at night and have spent a small fortune on fencing and a livestock protection dog for day to keep ours safe.

We have used portable electric netting, but the results of that are not good over uneven ground. It's a good product, if the ground is flat and level. Hills are a challenge.

Goats are fun... I really enjoy them... but if you are getting them to do a job and not for the fun of owning goats, then hire someone to cut the brush and forget about goats making your life any easier. They won't.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-12-2021 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-12-2021, 05:05 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Thanks for the fencing tip.
I appreciate it.
NP, and don’t forget barbed wire. It’s cheap enough and a few strands on the outside of other fencing should keep coyotes from getting in your pen.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 AM

I recommend electric, for both goats and predators. One low, one high.

Wire fencing that isn't backed up by electric will be rubbed on, climbed on and ultimately destroyed by goats. Even the stuff they say is "no climb", has a small-print goat exception clause.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:20 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Maybe what you want is a “Rent a goat” company for a short time every year.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Maybe what you want is a “Rent a goat” company for a short time every year.
They do exist and I do happen to know one and she’s up on the peninsula, Paulsbo area. :-) she brings her own temporary fencing to use so it doesn’t even really have to be fenced.

PM me if you want her contact info.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Paulsbo area.

Heh - err... Poulsbo.

(posted the original with talk-to-text on the phone, and didn't catch it! My phone is the tourist who doesn't know how to spell things, not me. )

Old 04-13-2021, 04:16 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,430,950 times
Goats are adorable animals with personalities. I would love to have one as a pet.

Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living