Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 10:10 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewManDan View Post
Parnassia
Glad to hear of no bacteria/chemical concerns. Curious if you have any issues w/RO? Seems like a thorough tech, but I've heard some ppl mention problems w/flow rate. You ever have that issue?
RO systems have tanks after the system which store the clean water. The system itself puts out a constant flow which is below the amount you'd need at the point of use, but it puts out that flow 24/7 so you just need a big enough tank to buffer for use.

I use my "50GPD" RO system for all drinking water for my family of four, and a 2 gallon tank is plenty. I've never run down the 2 gallon tank in normal use; the only time I've ever emptied the tank was when a kid accidentally left the RO faucet running, but after closing the faucet we had enough in the tank to fill a glass within maybe 20 minutes.

RO is so reliable, you just forget that you even have it. I change the prefilters once a year at a cost of about $20 and the membrane once every three for about $30. Really easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 4,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
RO systems have tanks after the system which store the clean water. The system itself puts out a constant flow which is below the amount you'd need at the point of use, but it puts out that flow 24/7 so you just need a big enough tank to buffer for use.

I use my "50GPD" RO system for all drinking water for my family of four, and a 2 gallon tank is plenty. I've never run down the 2 gallon tank in normal use; the only time I've ever emptied the tank was when a kid accidentally left the RO faucet running, but after closing the faucet we had enough in the tank to fill a glass within maybe 20 minutes.

RO is so reliable, you just forget that you even have it. I change the prefilters once a year at a cost of about $20 and the membrane once every three for about $30. Really easy.
Appreciate your perspective!

Yeah if I ever move out of city again I'll strongly consider an under-sink RO for many taste/contaminant concerns.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:22 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
We have a lot of iron bacteria and general hardness in our water. The bacteria isn't a problem to humans, but makes a mess of things. So we have a "big blue" prefilter, an iron filter, a backwashing carbon filter, and a water softener. Then, for drinking, I use an under-sink RO system with UV, just to be safe.

That equipment was probably really expensive when it went in but it came with the house and upkeep is very simple.

Also, I'll point out that the iron bacteria problem all but went away once the steel pressure tank rusted all the way through; ever since replacing it with fiberglass we haven't noticed the smell or color of the iron bacteria as much as we did before.

Interesting about the pressure tank...maybe an incubator for the iron-eating bacteria?

We have a newly drilled well containing IEB. Water here typically has high iron levels, and I think the well was contaminated with the bacteria during drilling or dropping the pump. Shocking it half a dozen times hasn't helped although it did turn my hair blonde. We're about to install a system with a Greensand filter, chlorine draw tank, 1 micron filter, and carbon filter, and also replacing the plumbing to finally get rid of the slime. Our plan has been hampered by a rural location with no water treatment companies nearby, and minimal space for equipment with zoning/wetlands issues which wouldn't allow us to put a 3'x3' bump-out on the house.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Interesting about the pressure tank...maybe an incubator for the iron-eating bacteria?

We have a newly drilled well containing IEB. Water here typically has high iron levels, and I think the well was contaminated with the bacteria during drilling or dropping the pump. Shocking it half a dozen times hasn't helped although it did turn my hair blonde. We're about to install a system with a Greensand filter, chlorine draw tank, 1 micron filter, and carbon filter, and also replacing the plumbing to finally get rid of the slime. Our plan has been hampered by a rural location with no water treatment companies nearby, and minimal space for equipment with zoning/wetlands issues which wouldn't allow us to put a 3'x3' bump-out on the house.
I don't love the greensand filter that I have- it just never seemed to make much difference. If I were putting in a new system I would instead try using just a whole home UV filter after a prefilter and see if that took care of it; I'd still have the backwashing carbon post-filter, but 5 micron probably ok. If that wasn't enough I'd go with a peroxide injection system but I don't love chemical injection so it would be a last resort.

For flare ups, I find that peroxide works great on the iron bacteria for cleaning out the pipes- I used to have it accumulating in my water heater but I would just pour a half bottle of peroxide in the big blue prefilter before a shower to circulate it into the water heater and that would take care of the smell (sulfur) for a good two or three weeks. The greensand filter was useless against the bacteria, I don't know why. It consumed the regular amount of potassium so it seemed to be operational, but about a year ago I stopped refilling the potassium and my water hasn't changed, so I'm basically not even using it anymore.

I agree with you though- I suspect that the pressure tank was where they were coming from, since the pressure tank is before all the other treatments. It's been a long time since the smell has come back, and the slime is gone too. It could just be that it takes a few years to build up a good size colony of the little buggers, so if it ever comes back I'll get a plumber over to put some way for me to get peroxide into the pressure tank.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:58 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
I don't love the greensand filter that I have- it just never seemed to make much difference. If I were putting in a new system I would instead try using just a whole home UV filter after a prefilter and see if that took care of it; I'd still have the backwashing carbon post-filter, but 5 micron probably ok. If that wasn't enough I'd go with a peroxide injection system but I don't love chemical injection so it would be a last resort.

For flare ups, I find that peroxide works great on the iron bacteria for cleaning out the pipes- I used to have it accumulating in my water heater but I would just pour a half bottle of peroxide in the big blue prefilter before a shower to circulate it into the water heater and that would take care of the smell (sulfur) for a good two or three weeks. The greensand filter was useless against the bacteria, I don't know why. It consumed the regular amount of potassium so it seemed to be operational, but about a year ago I stopped refilling the potassium and my water hasn't changed, so I'm basically not even using it anymore.

I agree with you though- I suspect that the pressure tank was where they were coming from, since the pressure tank is before all the other treatments. It's been a long time since the smell has come back, and the slime is gone too. It could just be that it takes a few years to build up a good size colony of the little buggers, so if it ever comes back I'll get a plumber over to put some way for me to get peroxide into the pressure tank.

IDK. The water treatment experts I've talked to have all said UV won't be sufficient. No one has recommended peroxide. I think having IEB in the well is a whole different problem than in a tank. We have a bad smell but it's not sulfur-like, and the slime can only be removed by serious scrubbing, which you obviously can't do inside your plumbing. We've shocked the well, retested the water, IEB is still there, the slime is still there, and within several weeks the smell is back too. I'd have to put a tanker truck of peroxide down the well every day. As it is, I've been hauling massive amounts of water to use for drinking, food prep, and washing dishes (water heated on the stove because the HW heater is contaminated) and taking yucky showers. I'm at the end of the road with this problem.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:14 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
You know, I was going to point out that this valve system for hard/soft water seemed sophisticated; makes sense that you're a professional!

Interesting you have positive coliform but negative E. coli. Ever concerned about treating for microbes?
Treating for microbes would require either chlorination or UV, with an additional storage tank for treated water. Chlorination is hard on rubber & plastic plumbing parts. I don't mind the taste, in fact, I prefer Wooster drinking water to my own. UV bulbs need to be replaced annually, and use a significant amount of electricity. I assume this heats up the cold water when the water has not been used for a while.

Another of my coworkers also used a blending valve for his soft water. I think he kept his hardness at 60 ppm or more.

I test my water every year or two. I was not able to test it last year, due to the COVID-19 lockdown. You can game the test. I always tested my water during warm, wet weather when it was most likely to test total coliform positive. If you want a negative test your best bet is to test it in the middle of winter when the ground is frozen, or during a drought.

As far as not already knowing about water treatment, by the time I was proficient in the field, it was time to train my replacement, and then retire.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:51 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
I addressed 'first post' issue w/reply to KCZ; understand the skepticism.

Sorry, over the last few years there has been a growing issue of brand-new one post hit and run wonders who post controversial, inflammatory, non-sensical and just plain unbelievable posts, never to return again. A lot of us are rolling our eyes at them, more than a few old-timers have quit the site, some have been eliminated for outing them. I've been spanked a few times for it and sometimes take extended self-imposed vacations when it gets too tiresome.

Quote:
You ever consider installing a softener or filter for the minerals?

Nah, too much time and money for something that doesn't bother me that much.

Quote:

And uh, what kinda ale you generally brewing out there? I'm a malty porter/scotch ale guy myself

I like them big and malty myself, porters, stouts and imperial stouts, with the occasional strawberry blonde. I also do wine and mead (I have bees and my own honey so that pays for itself).

Old 04-29-2021, 10:03 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
I'm both on Public (Private Company) Water and City Sewer.

My water bill is standard monthly fee by size of pipe , and usage.

My Sewer Bill from the city is Generated (data is send over by water company) on the winter water usage, So the average of the two winter quarter bills, are used to generate the "Summer" Sewer Bills. So irrigation uses in the summer is not factored into the sewer bills.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:16 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I'm both on Public (Private Company) Water and City Sewer.

My water bill is standard monthly fee by size of pipe , and usage.

My Sewer Bill from the city is Generated (data is send over by water company) on the winter water usage, So the average of the two winter quarter bills, are used to generate the "Summer" Sewer Bills. So irrigation uses in the summer is not factored into the sewer bills.
So you would rather be on the city sewer system and water company than a private well/septic tank?

Old 04-29-2021, 05:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So you would rather be on the city sewer system and water company than a private well/septic tank?
I'll stay private, but has been a hassle with less than careful renters (currently 8 homes on wells, 12 on septic)

over 50 yrs of home / rentals with wells, I have had to treat (2) wells continually (High sulfur or iron) and have had to shock 6x (when pumps removed / prime source of bacteria contamination)

so...
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...treatment.html
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...lls/index.html

and (Thank goodness for Land Grant universities... )
https://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_m/M115/welcome.html
https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/...bs/az1486b.pdf
https://extension.uga.edu/publicatio...20Chlorination
https://www.wellwater.bse.vt.edu/fil...ps%20grout.PDF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living