Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 09:20 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
IDK. The water treatment experts I've talked to have all said UV won't be sufficient. No one has recommended peroxide. I think having IEB in the well is a whole different problem than in a tank. We have a bad smell but it's not sulfur-like, and the slime can only be removed by serious scrubbing, which you obviously can't do inside your plumbing. We've shocked the well, retested the water, IEB is still there, the slime is still there, and within several weeks the smell is back too. I'd have to put a tanker truck of peroxide down the well every day. As it is, I've been hauling massive amounts of water to use for drinking, food prep, and washing dishes (water heated on the stove because the HW heater is contaminated) and taking yucky showers. I'm at the end of the road with this problem.
Funny timing- I was taking a shower yesterday and the flow slowed down to a trickle. I got nervous that my well pump died, so I quickly ran downstairs and breathed a sigh of relief as I saw the pressure gauge was at full pressure. So I opened the big blue filter (which is after the pressure gauge) and it was just solid slime. That red/brown sticky slime.

I was lazy- I hadn't changed the big blue in a long time (maybe 6-8 months), thinking foolishly that my problems were over. I did try something new this time though- I replaced the 10" filter housing with a 20" housing that also has a drain valve. My sump pump is right next to the filter, so I'm going to see if I can extend the filter life by draining the sludge occasionally into the sump pit without removing the filter. If I was able to get 6+ months from a 10" filter I should hopefully get more from the 20". Couched against the fact that the slime is worse in summer months than in the winter.

The peroxide was the only way for me to reduce the smell in the past, but the water runs perfectly clear even when it's stinky, so I think the prefilters are doing their job. Gross changing those filters though. I've debated removing the big blue and letting the 5 micron backwashing filter be the first filter in line, but everything just works so well using the big blue that I think I'll stick with it.

My undercabinet RO system has really no trouble at all making perfectly clean, smell-free water though even when the main system is doing really bad (except of course when the flow is super limited).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 05:49 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Funny timing- I was taking a shower yesterday and the flow slowed down to a trickle. I got nervous that my well pump died, so I quickly ran downstairs and breathed a sigh of relief as I saw the pressure gauge was at full pressure. So I opened the big blue filter (which is after the pressure gauge) and it was just solid slime. That red/brown sticky slime.

I was lazy- I hadn't changed the big blue in a long time (maybe 6-8 months), thinking foolishly that my problems were over. I did try something new this time though- I replaced the 10" filter housing with a 20" housing that also has a drain valve. My sump pump is right next to the filter, so I'm going to see if I can extend the filter life by draining the sludge occasionally into the sump pit without removing the filter. If I was able to get 6+ months from a 10" filter I should hopefully get more from the 20". Couched against the fact that the slime is worse in summer months than in the winter.

The peroxide was the only way for me to reduce the smell in the past, but the water runs perfectly clear even when it's stinky, so I think the prefilters are doing their job. Gross changing those filters though. I've debated removing the big blue and letting the 5 micron backwashing filter be the first filter in line, but everything just works so well using the big blue that I think I'll stick with it.

My undercabinet RO system has really no trouble at all making perfectly clean, smell-free water though even when the main system is doing really bad (except of course when the flow is super limited).
I went to a 20" housing, and change it every other month. These changes were necessary to reduce the pressure loss.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So you would rather be on the city sewer system and water company than a private well/septic tank?
While I would love to live in a small Rural town,

I'm in a suburban area, on 1/3 acres, So even if it was allowed, there is not enough room to do it. The city requires connection to Sewer,

There are a few home that are ~100 years old that still have private wells, but they had to connect to sewer when it was put in. Not sure how they are charged for sewer usage. Guessing meters on the household
Inside Water Usage, from there well.

One of them does run a Pool Fill and Construction Water business. That he feeds from his well.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:52 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewManDan View Post
I work in developing water treatment technologies at a university lab. Part of my work is geared towards disinfecting water, which I have been told is an issue especially for private water wells. Curious if people on this forum have bacteria, mineral, or chemical issues with their water and how y'all go about treating the water.

Why are you wasting your time??

Contact the Forest Service: https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/techdev/sdtdc.htm

Call them and ask to speak to water systems folks.

They have been working on small well systems for campgrounds for decades. Everything you want to know and more from them.

Much of their water treatment technology has been licensed to the private sector.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:23 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So you would rather be on the city sewer system and water company than a private well/septic tank?
Speaking for myself, I would definitely rather have city water than my own well (I have had city sewer for some years now). City water is of higher quality than my well water: free from total coliform bacteria, and with alkalinity and hardness set to optimum levels. In addition, I would still have water during power outages. When my well pump was hit by lightning, it was my problem. City utilities have a team of professionals to maintain service to their customers.

As far as total coliform in well water, on a slow afternoon years ago, I went through the water test records and tallied the results. About 25% of private wells we tested were total coliform positive on the first test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living