Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 10:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times

Advertisements

Skunks don’t always spray when trapped and moved. Someone we know trapped one, covered the cage, and transported it in a car trunk. I consider this making the skunk someone else’s problem, though, unless moving it to a huge wilderness expanse.

Personally, I wouldn’t risk it. We once trapped a skunk in winter, thought it would die from freezing to death, so we left it out. Turns out skunks, being adapted to hibernating, don’t need food in winter, and it probably ate some snow below the trap for water. It lived much longer than we expected. Don’t repeat our mistake; it would’ve been kinder to just shoot it. It did die, and when that happens there will still be some musk released. Get it over with and make the death quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 04:35 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We live on the outskirts of a small town. We have a lot of rural acreage around us. The past several weeks we've had an almost daily encounter with a skunk. We also have cats and pet doors for the cats. We also have a game camera that is tripped by activity. The skunk has come in a number of times, eating cat food, peeing on the floor and getting into bird seed. We have had to block off the pet doors and try to make sure the cats are in by 10 pm or so.
The skunk has come into your HOUSE?!! I would STOP letting my cats out immediately (then again, all my cats have always been indoor-only, and this is one reason why!).

Honestly, I think a quick bullet to the head of the skunk is a humane end (assuming that's allowed where you live, and it sounds like it is), because at this point I don't think it's going to leave of its own accord.

Good luck!!

Old 09-06-2021, 04:36 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just let it go somewhere. No need to murder it.
Wear crappy clothes and toss a blanket over the trap because he’ll probably want to give you a spray.
I agree.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:23 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Now that the cat door is blocked why not just leave it alone?

Old 09-06-2021, 06:39 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
They say if you pick them up by the tail they can't spray you.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:47 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Are you sure it's... because of Rabies? Rabie sis pretty rare in the US and exceptionally rare in Oregon apparently.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:31 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Post Relocation of wildlife is often unlawful, unsafe, and a slow death sentence for the animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just let it go somewhere. No need to murder it.
OP is in Oregon. Like many other states, in Oregon it is generally unlawful to relocate a skunk off your own property.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Some say you can cover the live trap, then move the critter but I didn't dare try that. I've had a lot of problems with skunks here at this farm for the past ten or eleven years. Using large live traps baited with marshmallows, I dispatched several of the critters with a .22 rifle at a safe distance then removed the carcasses inside the traps some distance from the house but still on our property. We essentially have no neighbors so there was no one to complain.

Just be careful shooting into your live trap. You can very easily damage the trigger mechanisms and ruin the trap. Don't ask how I know this.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:15 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
They say if you pick them up by the tail they can't spray you.
"They say" there is a mountain for sale in Florida too....I'm not gonna fall for either one until I see it.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-07-2021, 03:22 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Man, that's an awful problem. When we lived in Oregon, we had a skunk get into a propane refrigerator we weren't using and had propped open for ventilation. I happened to see it passing by and instinctively slammed the door. The fridge was built into the wall and we were house-sitting so no real options.

I felt SO terrible but we had to leave it there! Nothing safe to do!

I got far away when clean-up came months later....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living