Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 11:22 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
When I eventually get my outdoor grill, it will be too big to store in the garage ...... and it has to be big enough to cook brisket.

Did you see the winds in Texas yesterday? Real gusters so the question is, how do you store a grill outside when the winds can really blow at times?
Get a Reqteq pellet smoker. Mine's been through 3 hurricanes here in Florida didn't move an inch!

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-7...d-pellet-grill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 04:17 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
If it is too big to store in the garage - the winds are not going to move it.

Yes it was windy yesterday in Texas - our grill did out on the patio did not budge.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:46 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
If it is too big to store in the garage - the winds are not going to move it.

Yes it was windy yesterday in Texas - our grill did out on the patio did not budge.
A tractor-trailer rig won't fit in my garage, but the wind will sometimes blow one over when out on an open highway in high wind. The bigger the object, the more wind it catches. The key is to block the wind or chain it down.

If the OP can't wheel the grill into the garage, then try to find a place for it where the wind is blocked such as an "inside corner" of the house/garage. For example, if your house is "L" shaped, put the grill on the "inside" of the "L". This provides great protection for the object as long as the house is still standing. If the house gets blown down, then a BBQ grill will be the least of your concerns.

If your house is square or rectangular, then putting the grill close to the house will protect in some wind directions, but not all wind directions. In that case, you should also anchor the grill with a chain or strong rope to some well anchored object. If necessary, dig a post hole and put a sturdy steel pole in the ground or a 4x4 post in the ground to anchor the grill to. You might even anchor it to the house if you can find a sturdy anchoring spot, but be advised that most "siding" is not well anchored if there are things attached to it that can pull hard on flimsy siding.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Perhaps, chain the BBQ to something which can withstand the WINDS, in the least windy location you have.
Yep.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:51 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Get a Reqteq pellet smoker. Mine's been through 3 hurricanes here in Florida didn't move an inch!

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-7...d-pellet-grill
That is not an option; firewood is the fuel here. Besides, that above is 3X the max cost of what I want to spend. That above is more for entertaining.....and I just want a spare way to cook in a forest.

As to why it won't fit in the garage.....two vehicles, emergency generator, trash bin, mountain bike, chest freezer, camping and scuba gear, and the like.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:04 PM

Here ya go. A two-burner propane camping stove. Buy one of these for $80 and buy a couple of small propane tanks and you're good for a week or maybe longer. This stores easily in your garage. I've had one very similar to this for many years. Great for cooking on.

https://smile.amazon.com/Coleman-Sto...rippsonsite-20

Old 01-17-2022, 06:30 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Here ya go. A two-burner propane camping stove. Buy one of these for $80 and buy a couple of small propane tanks and you're good for a week or maybe longer. This stores easily in your garage. I've had one very similar to this for many years. Great for cooking on.

https://smile.amazon.com/Coleman-Sto...rippsonsite-20
We used these when i was in the Boy Scouts......still have one in my garage.
A Weber charcoal rolling grill will also fit in garage. You can use wood, too.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:53 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,771 times
Quote:
Long story short, two things.

First, cost of a 55 gallon drum grill, at worst, perhaps $500. Cost of building a brick whatever, we-ll............

Secondly, I am not entertaining. This is just another means to keep going for a while in case the power grid goes down.

Finally, I am just asking about how to keep something that big from becoming a missile during high winds.
Super simple. Bolt it down. I live at the ocean front, we get hurricane winds here. Never lost a grill yet. (I have 2.)

Old 01-17-2022, 09:18 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Forgive me but .........WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

I live in a forest, I have wood all around, if I did seasonal clearing I should have enough wood to last me year to year.

I am not interested in have a grill that runs on anything but wood. I am not entertaining, I just want a spare way to cook if the power goes out for a while. I am asking the question for such a grill, how to keep it from becoming a missile in high winds.

I think the best answers I have heard so far is to (find someone to) drive a post into Texas Hill Country rock soil, secure it, bolt the grill down to that when not in use. Does that seem like a workable notion?

Old 01-17-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Forgive me but .........WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

I live in a forest, I have wood all around, if I did seasonal clearing I should have enough wood to last me year to year.

I am not interested in have a grill that runs on anything but wood. I am not entertaining, I just want a spare way to cook if the power goes out for a while. I am asking the question for such a grill, how to keep it from becoming a missile in high winds.

I think the best answers I have heard so far is to (find someone to) drive a post into Texas Hill Country rock soil, secure it, bolt the grill down to that when not in use. Does that seem like a workable notion?
Yeah, that's a "WORKable" notion, but I would emphasize the word "WORK" because that's what you're going to be doing a lot of if you intend to cook with a wood burning grill. First you have to cut the trees down , then you drag/haul the logs into your work area where the real work starts. Then you have to cut the trunk and major limbs into manageable pieces. Then you have to cut the manageable pieces into stovewood length. Then you have to buy a hydraulic splitter unless you expect to split the wood with a wood splitting maul (Good luck with that). Then you have to split the wood and stack it and let it dry.

Then, when the power goes out, you've got to gather your kindling, start a fire, add some bigger pieces, wait until it gets going good and produces some decent coals, then you start your cooking. Or, you can buy an $80 camp stove and a couple of propane cylinders and be ready to cook as easy as cooking on the gas stove in your kitchen. You've made it clear which one you're going to choose, but I know which one I would choose as a backup for a possible event that may never happen.

You'll spend a couple of thousand dollars in equipment and many, many manhours, or perhaps I should say "womanhours" doing backbreaking labor to keep from spending about $100 on an easy, simple, and efficient solution to your hypothetical problem. It's your money, your time, and your back, so have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living