Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 12:19 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
At least three reasons.

First of all, never can tell which way the strong winds are blowing on this or that day in Texas. Secondly, no doubt it will end up being a dirty grill and the outside of my house is relatively clean. To say nothing of putting a heat source against house walls.

Of course, no one would willingly put a hot grill against the house without making sure it is totally out, drenched, stirred, drenched again........right?

But if the decision path is not there in the first place, that its home is next against the house, then it is not likely to happen if someone is in a hurry or the like.

Third.......oh, so many black widow egg pods on the outside walls of my house. My professional killers spray them, of course,.......but then, there's another problem. What will it do to the food if the grill is sprayed? I have that concern with my fire wood as well, about sprayed wood burned inside in the fireplace (no answers there yet).

I am not too worried about a grill being stolen. If someone came that far out in the country with their pickup truck to heist a $500 grill.....well, A for determination.
I'd consider a couple of sand tubes laid across the cross bracing at the bottom of the grill. It works to anchor my patio umbrella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 01:46 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Best idea yet. Couple bags of "play sand" like you keep in the trunk of the car in winter, laid across the bottom. There's your solution. Cheap, too.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Best idea yet. Couple bags of "play sand" like you keep in the trunk of the car in winter, laid across the bottom. There's your solution. Cheap, too.
I don't keep play sand in my car but kitty litter for emergency traction. Those techniques aside, are play sand bags invincible to feral cats who might rip it open for use.....or any other animal for any other use?

I am not dashing your suggestion but wondering how they stand up to the outside world of the country.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
At our mountain house in Asheville we regularly get high winds. We keep the grill up against the house and it doesn't move.

When we use it we roll it away from the house. After it cools we put it back.

I think you are overthinking your situation. Your grill isn't going to turn into a missile.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:57 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
You're definitely overthinking this.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:25 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
I don't keep play sand in my car but kitty litter for emergency traction. Those techniques aside, are play sand bags invincible to feral cats who might rip it open for use.....or any other animal for any other use?

I am not dashing your suggestion but wondering how they stand up to the outside world of the country.
The tube sand I always had in my truck back when I drove a truck (for purposes of traction) lived outside behind the shed from March-December. I reused the same tubes for years, I replaced them only if I cut one open intentionally.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:10 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Quote:

Not emergency traction, but weight over the driving wheels.

I have a lot of cats around in my neighborhood, and I've never had any trouble with them ripping open bags of topsoil, sand, etc. to use as litter boxes. Some of those bags will sit out for years on end till I use them up.

Old 01-18-2022, 05:27 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Long story short, two things.

First, cost of a 55 gallon drum grill, at worst, perhaps $500. Cost of building a brick whatever, we-ll............

Secondly, I am not entertaining. This is just another means to keep going for a while in case the power grid goes down.

Finally, I am just asking about how to keep something that big from becoming a missile during high winds.
Ok, a 55 gallon drum can be bought from an oil jobber for $20-25. They'll happily sell you a dented drum that can no longer be used for oil. I used to do this ALL the time for people. Have someone cut it in half, and tack weld 2 piano hinges on the top for the lid. That's probably another $20 or so.
While at the welder, have them create a grill for you. Probably another $30 (with tacked tabs.)

If you want the drum on legs, those can be fabbed up too.

You can get about 72 hamburger patties on a drum grill at one time. (Guess how I know!) These are the 1/3lb patties from CostCo, btw.

The only problem with drum BBQ's is that they are made of very thin sheet steel. (Usually 20 gauge sides, and 18 gauge bulkheads.) Anyway, these tend to "get thin & burn-thru" after repeated use. To combat this, it's best to line the bottom with volcanic rock and sand. This weight will also provide stability during "Texas" winds. This set-up would be totally "off-grid."
Sorry if this is more info than you wanted.

My off grid BBQ is a kettle Weber. (I don't need much when I use this, as the cooking surface is only 22.5" in dia.)

When I gotta A LOT of food to put out, I use a Req Teq pellet smoker. But it's definitely NOT off-grid, since it has electricity and wifi...
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor grills and high winds-40dc2680-937d-424c-9acd-52e08aa30541.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living