Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 02:24 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

My town of 8,000 has a senior citizen bus that gives rides to Walmart or various appointments one may have. There are also a couple of enterprising people who will drive you wherever you want to go for a charge. Plus where my house is you can walk to several local restaurants, a coffee house and lots of assorted businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 03:26 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
I am researching retiring from NYC to a small town anywhere in the U.S. The only problem: I can't drive, never have and because of an eye condition, never will. Are there any small towns where you don't need a car?
I think there might be

We here in our small south texas town, we have a regional transport system that will take you to the other towns to shop. You can call them to take you to hospital appointments in the big city.

If you move to a place like this - make sure you live close enough to walk to a small store, bank or restaurant.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:53 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
There are plenty of towns where you don't need a car. I live in a town of about 7,300 people. Within a quarter of a mile of my house I can walk to the doctor, dentist, post office, library, town hall, supermarket, pharmacy, barber shop, town park, and numerous restaurants. I can order anything else I need from Amazon or take the bus that runs to a nearby city of over 100,000 people.
Same here, except the nearest city of 100,000 is Green Bay, which is an hour away from us. Also, our small towns offer door to door transportation at reasonable rates, but you must book it in advance.

Anyway, what exactly are you looking for as far as climate and other "musts"?

Old 03-06-2022, 07:20 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Coming from NYC what is OPs definition of small town? I consider where I live now (50K) to be a small city but I know another poster living in the same city to consider it small town (mostly I think because he's never actually lived in a small town.
I live on the bus line in this small city, specifically in the event of losing my ability to drive as I get older. It's not all encompassing and the hours are limited, but it would get me to anything necessary like medical appointments and stores. It also takes me to our little downtown for entertainment and dining. Weather is decent a good part of the year too, so a lot of people in parts of town walk or bike to various destinations, and use the bus line too. I think it's very doable for a retiree.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:48 AM

494 posts, read 285,564 times
Cobleskill NY

It's in upstate NY. You might like that area. The town has a lot of shopping, doctors, dentists, library, and even a Walmart, etc.. They have a bus service that will take you throughout Cobleskill and other rural towns within a 20 mile radius.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...&bih=617&dpr=1

Old 03-07-2022, 10:35 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Deer Lodge, MT.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Coming from NYC what is OPs definition of small town? I consider where I live now (50K) to be a small city but I know another poster living in the same city to consider it small town (mostly I think because he's never actually lived in a small town.
I live on the bus line in this small city, specifically in the event of losing my ability to drive as I get older. It's not all encompassing and the hours are limited, but it would get me to anything necessary like medical appointments and stores. It also takes me to our little downtown for entertainment and dining. Weather is decent a good part of the year too, so a lot of people in parts of town walk or bike to various destinations, and use the bus line too. I think it's very doable for a retiree.
That's what I'm wondering. NYC has like 9 million people. No other city in the US has that many people. So everything else is a small town by comparison. Haven't seen the OP come back so we may never know what they're looking for.

I live in a town of 3500. It's actually one of the largest towns in the area. And it's an area where the sidewalks roll themselves up at 5pm and on weekends. I imagine that for someone from NYC that would be a huge culture shock.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:33 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Perhaps a 55 years and over age living community might have what you want?

Old 03-07-2022, 06:22 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Pretty much anywhere in SE Alaska. I'd suggest Haines, Sitka or Juneau.

Juneau has excellent public transportation and the downtown area is walkable. It also has jet service and a regional hospital. Sitka offers essentially the same, though I'm not sure about public transportation details.

Haines is quite small but very beautiful. You could walk just about anywhere in its downtown area. Otherwise, call a cab. I don't think they have a bus service.

The relative lack of motor vehicle activity in the region is refreshing. Haines doesn't even have a traffic light.
Haines is an incredible small town.....it is those FIVE sunny days during summer, that give me pause. Great town, if you like rain.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:41 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Probably best to move to a community down south. Many are actually like small towns.
Many have senior services and tons of amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living