Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 09:00 AM

518 posts, read 627,094 times

Advertisements

I am researching retiring from NYC to a small town anywhere in the U.S. The only problem: I can't drive, never have and because of an eye condition, never will. Are there any small towns where you don't need a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 09:04 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Not really. Small towns usually equal rural.
Rural means everything aside from bare minimum essentials is spread out.
And public transport is usually non existent.
Health care can be the big stickler, as most major medical facilities will be on dead average 1/2 hour to 45 minutes away. You may have to settle for a smaller town as opposed to a “small town”. A motor vehicle is essential for rural living. Or maybe learn to ride a horse?

Old 03-05-2022, 09:20 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,977,409 times
There are plenty of towns where you don't need a car. I live in a town of about 7,300 people. Within a quarter of a mile of my house I can walk to the doctor, dentist, post office, library, town hall, supermarket, pharmacy, barber shop, town park, and numerous restaurants. I can order anything else I need from Amazon or take the bus that runs to a nearby city of over 100,000 people.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:25 AM

518 posts, read 627,094 times
Could you tell me the name of your town? I might look into it. It sounds just like what I might be looking for.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:27 AM

10,565 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
I am researching retiring from NYC to a small town anywhere in the U.S. The only problem: I can't drive, never have and because of an eye condition, never will. Are there any small towns where you don't need a car?
Pretty much anywhere in SE Alaska. I'd suggest Haines, Sitka or Juneau.

Juneau has excellent public transportation and the downtown area is walkable. It also has jet service and a regional hospital. Sitka offers essentially the same, though I'm not sure about public transportation details.

Haines is quite small but very beautiful. You could walk just about anywhere in its downtown area. Otherwise, call a cab. I don't think they have a bus service.

The relative lack of motor vehicle activity in the region is refreshing. Haines doesn't even have a traffic light.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:31 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
Yes.

Two options come to mind:

1) Plenty of towns NYC commuter towns (i.e. n nj, ct, westchester county) that have down town strips that have nearly everything you'd need, plus rail service into Manhattan.

2) ski resort towns tend to have excellent bus service, and have large numbers of seasonal and hospitality workers w/o personal transportation.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:01 AM

I guess this all depends on what the OP considers “small” town.
Parts of Westchester could be considered small town to some, especially if you are coming from someplace like NYC.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:13 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,034,254 times
I live in Mt. Airy, NC. population 10,300, county has 74,000. I live rural about 11 miles from town, but there are many houses, apts within walking distance to town, we have medical transportation, and cabs. Hospital is in town as are many, many drs offices.. short drive or walk to anything you need.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:50 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I guess this all depends on what the OP considers “small” town.
Parts of Westchester could be considered small town to some, especially if you are coming from someplace like NYC.

Yeah, my small town is under 3,000. No traffic lights, no cabs, no bus, no PD, volunteer FD, no grocery store- only some 'convenience' type stores. Nearest reasonably sized/priced market is 12 miles away, supermarkets are 20+ miles away. Vehicles are a 'must have' item here.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yeah, my small town is under 3,000. No traffic lights, no cabs, no bus, no PD, volunteer FD, no grocery store- only some 'convenience' type stores. Nearest reasonably sized/priced market is 12 miles away, supermarkets are 20+ miles away. Vehicles are a 'must have' item here.
Me too, similar. “Town” has gas/convenience store, supermarket, a few restaurants, a general medical center and the town hall/library. That’s pretty much it.
But, I’m 20 miles(1/2 hour-ish) from a major hospital and all the big box junk your heart desires.
No public transit from town aside from maybe Uber/taxi. I’m in agricultural area sprinkled with tourism/2nd homeowners. Ain’t much here and that’s the way we like it. I’m about 5 miles out from “town”, in the boonies.
OP’s biggest hurdle appears to be transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living