Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 12:09 PM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I am researching retiring from NYC to a small town anywhere in the U.S. The only problem: I can't drive, never have and because of an eye condition, never will. Are there any small towns where you don't need a car?
Depends on what you consider to be small, but Oswego NY has a solid bus system for its size and some of that is due to having a 4 year college. https://www.centro.org/service_sched...hedules-oswego

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-21-2022 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 05:14 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
You still need a car in a over 55 community. I know, I live in one.
This is true. They can be somewhat isolated from the rest of the community they're in. But OTOH, they also tend to have transit service for residents, depending. And some senior housing complexes have good locations within walking distance of basic amenities.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:02 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
This community has many miles of golf-cart paths connecting everything there, and nearly every household has golf carts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peachtree_City,_Georgia

This is the nation's largest gated retirement community. They have every possible kind of social event, hobby group, discussion group,. exercise group, and nightly concerts, dances, and entertainments. Doctors of every kind are actually on-site, accessible by community bus.
You can find several Youtube videos discussing what people like, or don't like, about life in The Villages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Villages,_Florida

Old 03-22-2022, 11:35 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
When considering retiring I would look into those states that would tax your Social Security and states that don't tax Social Security and how the state laws would affect your retirement benefits.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:06 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
When considering retiring I would look into those states that would tax your Social Security and states that don't tax Social Security and how the state laws would affect your retirement benefits.
We moved out of Texas on purpose and retired in one of the most 'unfriendly to retiree' states (Nebraska).

All things considered, the comparatively sane housing market (and associated living expenses) here more than make up for the difference.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:12 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
We moved out of Texas on purpose and retired in one of the most 'unfriendly to retiree' states (Nebraska).

All things considered, the comparatively sane housing market (and associated living expenses) here more than make up for the difference.
Nebraska = tornadoes?

Old 03-27-2022, 02:41 AM

30,535 posts, read 16,231,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Nebraska = tornadoes?

every area of the country has weather disasters of some kind. If you don't like tornadoes, you could live the northeast and face blizzards. or the southeast with hurricanes, the west coast with earthquakes..

simplification I know but people deal with whatever weather they get.

OP

you might look into north central PA although that be too rural for you after NYC. There are small towns totally walkable. BeST is a bus system that goes almost any place you'd want to go. There's also a taxi service.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:50 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I live in Mt. Airy, NC. population 10,300, county has 74,000. I live rural about 11 miles from town, but there are many houses, apts within walking distance to town, we have medical transportation, and cabs. Hospital is in town as are many, many drs offices.. short drive or walk to anything you need.
And..... Mt Airy is where Andy Griffith grew up and what his tv show beloved Mayberry was based on.

We actually took a trip there and just enjoyed riding around and seeing it.

I don't know if the OP has been back to the thread to even indicate weather /geographical locaion etc. So many interesting choices.
Coming from NYC I suspect anything under 30,000 would be a small town?

Anyway I loved the suggestions of Mt Airy, and Cobbleskill NY. ( but only if snow is not an issue).

Old 03-27-2022, 09:04 AM

45,419 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I am researching retiring from NYC to a small town anywhere in the U.S. The only problem: I can't drive, never have and because of an eye condition, never will. Are there any small towns where you don't need a car?
I've watched this thread since you asked the question and tried to stay out of it.

You're proposing to move somewhere you've never been, where you know nobody, where you'll have to find all new health care providers for your condition, where you don't have an in-place support system. And you're going to do it while depending on transportation over which you have no control.

I know this goes against what everybody else has told you to do but I do have to ask if, phrased as I did, this sounds "wise"?

Old 03-27-2022, 10:17 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
^^^

I wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living