Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,098 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I am starting to look into rural areas for moving to in a couple of years. The thing is that I have a black son and want an area that will be safe for him and have a good number of black people around since I am a single mom and am white. I want him to get exposure to the other half of his heritage!
I am looking for a place where a bit of land for homesteading is available, as well. Which always makes things more interesting. I would prefer a more mild climate than the far north of the country.
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 03:59 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxybaby1982 View Post
Hello all!
I am starting to look into rural areas for moving to in a couple of years. The thing is that I have a black son and want an area that will be safe for him and have a good number of black people around since I am a single mom and am white. I want him to get exposure to the other half of his heritage!
I am looking for a place where a bit of land for homesteading is available, as well. Which always makes things more interesting. I would prefer a more mild climate than the far north of the country.
TIA!
For some reason I thought of the Chapel Hill, NC area. It’s diverse and might work for you. The Tallahassee area is another idea, it’s a left leaning city with plenty of rural areas further out. Good luck in finding a place to call home.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:31 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Hello all!
TIA!
Where are you now and when you say rural, are you looking into a small town that is a good distance from a city or one with a literally more rural area with strictly farms and maybe an intersection of businesses?

There are some places in Upstate NY that come to mind(Lyons, Medina, Albion, parts of Sullivan County, rural parts of the Onondaga Central SD outside of Syracuse, parts of Orange/Ulster/Columbia/Greene counties, the Ravena area south of Albany, etc.), but it looks like you want something in the South, I'm guessing.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-11-2022 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
For some reason I thought of the Chapel Hill, NC area. It’s diverse and might work for you. The Tallahassee area is another idea, it’s a left leaning city with plenty of rural areas further out. Good luck in finding a place to call home.
Those are decent sized metros, but I'm wondering if a rural area in those metros would work.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:06 PM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times
Quote:
Hello all!
TIA!
What does your husband think about a relocation? Sorry you are single. Edit lol.
Edit 2, how is your son black if you are white? Did you adopt him?

Old 05-12-2022, 08:19 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where are you now and when you say rural, are you looking into a small town that is a good distance from a city or one with a literally more rural area with strictly farms and maybe an intersection of businesses?

There are some places in Upstate NY that come to mind(Lyons, Medina, Albion, parts of Sullivan County, rural parts of the Onondaga Central SD outside of Syracuse, parts of Orange/Ulster/Columbia/Greene counties, the Ravena area south of Albany, etc.), but it looks like you want something in the South, I'm guessing.
I grew up in WNY (Gasport specifically, maybe 10-15 miles from Medina). For a small, rural WNY town, Medina did have a fairly large black population. They also had some of the "black issues" to an extent-crime, some violence, run-down, untended parts of town. Not too bad though, certainly not to the point of urban, "ghetto" issues. Albion from what I recall had few blacks. Now granted this was nearly 3 decades ago when I moved out, so things could be considerably different now.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:57 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Lumberton, NC metro area is the most diverse semi-rural area in the Southeast, but a very impoverished area. Your best bet is to look a bit on the periphery of metro areas that have more jobs like the RTP or Charlotte if you're in NC.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:28 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Upstate NY doesn't have a mild climate, nor do the rural parts of New England. Virginia or Tennessee?

Old 05-12-2022, 12:59 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times
You need to move to rural Alabama or Mississippi. Not gonna sugar coat things but that’s where you’ll find your land and his people.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I grew up in WNY (Gasport specifically, maybe 10-15 miles from Medina). For a small, rural WNY town, Medina did have a fairly large black population. They also had some of the "black issues" to an extent-crime, some violence, run-down, untended parts of town. Not too bad though, certainly not to the point of urban, "ghetto" issues. Albion from what I recall had few blacks. Now granted this was nearly 3 decades ago when I moved out, so things could be considerably different now.
Albion actually has a decent amount as well. Here are the school district demographics for Albion Schools: https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000050704

As you likely know, many likely came via the migrant farm route to many of these rural areas. Some may work at facilities in the area or local companies as well.

With that said, it looks like they want places with milder weather during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living