Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times

Advertisements

Looking for a second home (eventual retirement home), we have visited Rancho Murieta, Lake of the Pines and Lake Wildwood. Thought of looking at Auburn Lakes Trails community during an upcoming visit. I'm well aware that a gated community doesn't gurantee safety, but my wife really prefers to look for a home in one, due to likely prolonged absences for the next few years (with much time spent in Brazil-- long story). She also prefers a home not over 10-15 years old. Rancho Murieta had a few of those, but it's also rather low in elevation (i.e., hot in the summer; I know since I lived in Sacramento years ago). Plus, my wife suffered from allergies during our last visit there. Lake of the Pines seemes to have mainly older homes. And Lake Wildwood is a bit more distant/isolated. Auburn Lakes Trails is just a tad less isolated; seems to have a lot of homes with large acreage, which we don't need. If you wanted a home that was in a cool area (no pun intended, given ALT being near the town of Cool), but not with a lot of snow, where in the area would you look? Hoping to stay under $350k.

If the above communities don't really have what we're looking for, maybe we should look in communities such as Sutter Creek? Wouldn't be gated, but also less congested than the Auburn area, perhaps.

I should note that out of the many parts of the country we've looked at so far, my wife probably prefers western North Carolina, despite some concerns over how conservative it might be. I'm originally from California and would prefer Northern California. At one point thought she might like Portland, but she doesn't like that much rain (loved to visit the area but not live there). Are we asking for too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Default Have you looked at EDH?

There's a gated retirement community in El Dorado Hills of newer vintage.
Four Seasons Owners Association - Four Seasons Floor Plans and Facilities

Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
There's a gated retirement community in El Dorado Hills of newer vintage.
Four Seasons Owners Association - Four Seasons Floor Plans and Facilities
Thanks. Couldn't find info on homes for sale, prices, etc. Just new homes? Looks like it's still somewhat in the flatlands, but perhaps a bit higher than Sac itself and closer to town than Rancho Murieta and the others. Will ask realtor about it.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Four Seasons currently has 4 listings between $325K to $455K. It has HOA dues of $202 a month. There is a nice clubhouse, pool, and community area that tends to be a big draw here.

Versante is also a gated 55+ community in EDH, the only listing is $309K w/HOA of $290/monthn.

Bridlewood and Serrano are also gated and have homes in your price range. Bridlewood has HOA around $75/month and Serrano is about $170/month but Serrano also has Mella Roos of about $2K year depending on the site.

Folsom also has a couple smaller gated communities for 55+ that might fit your needs. However, these are all below the snow line but I wouldn't say they are cool in the summer.

Gated/HOA communities aren't for everyone, but if you are gone for extended periods, having the security patrols and yard maintenance when included can be a big benefit.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Four Seasons currently has 4 listings between $325K to $455K. It has HOA dues of $202 a month. There is a nice clubhouse, pool, and community area that tends to be a big draw here.

Versante is also a gated 55+ community in EDH, the only listing is $309K w/HOA of $290/monthn.

Bridlewood and Serrano are also gated and have homes in your price range. Bridlewood has HOA around $75/month and Serrano is about $170/month but Serrano also has Mella Roos of about $2K year depending on the site.

Folsom also has a couple smaller gated communities for 55+ that might fit your needs. However, these are all below the snow line but I wouldn't say they are cool in the summer.

Gated/HOA communities aren't for everyone, but if you are gone for extended periods, having the security patrols and yard maintenance when included can be a big benefit.
Thanks. I've done some quick Internet searches on homes in these communities, but will need to do more (including on their facilities; already know about Four Seasons). EDH starting to look more appealing, since costs seem to be a bit lower now than before (and we didn't know about the gated communities-- did see Granite Bay area but that was high). EDH would be a bit higher in elevation than Rancho Murieta, and less isolated than Lake of the Pines, etc. Will start looking. Can't just rely on realtors. Won't have a lot of time for firsthand viewing when we're in the area, so will narrow things down; right now, the ones in EDH look best. Either that, or head out really far, like Amador City, etc.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM

107 posts, read 248,436 times
Just a quick post here. I have followed these forums for some time now and have read quite a bit from Nina. She is always very positive and knowledgeable in her posts. If you are looking for an Agent in the Sacramento area, I would get in touch with her. For disclosure, I am an Agent in the Oroville area, but that is just what I have noticed.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM

If you are trying to get an idea of the area before working with a realtor, then open house shopping might be a good idea. While many are on Saturday, Serrano only has open houses Sunday 1-4. Most the real estate sites have open house listings so you can get plan of what to see before you go.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
El dorado hills is not going to be any cooler than rancho m.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Nope.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
Winchester in meadowview would be my pick, although I think it would miss at least one of the points you are looking for. The gate thing is far over rated, and could be better remedied with outdoor motion lights and home security system, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento