Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Just got caught in an obvious speed trap on el camino ave Way to spend my tax dollars

Anybody else get hit with one of these scams lately? There is virtually no way to avoid them as they set them up to virtually guarantee you will be at least 10mph over the speed limit during non-rush hours and they set up on bikes in blind spots.
How do they guarantee you'll be going at least 10 mph over the speed limit? Isn't that a voluntary decision? Who determines the speed limit? What is your suggestion for the cops (e.g., at what point should they give tickets)? Have you tried petitioning to have the limit raised? Anyplace where you go over the speed limit you can get ticketed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
Im no senior and I always drive the speed limit or a little slower, people that speed are the ones always getting into accidents

and they never admit they were speeding

reminds me of a accident I saw in my rear view mirror once when the street was flooded and a sign was there that said flooded and to drive slow, a red neck in a pick up behind me intentionally acclerated to drive throught the water puddle and dis 0bey the posted warning signs and his truck hydroplaned on the street losing control and he wrecked into a ditch

he got what he deserved for his speeding and wreckless driving

people that speed always think they are expert drivers, weaving in traffic, changing lanes without signalling, etc

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,264,386 times
50 in a 35 in a 4 lane wide street in dry whether in light traffic is not wreckless driving.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
50 in a 35 in a 4 lane wide street in dry whether in light traffic is not wreckless driving.
but thats no excuse, even though you think it was safe

thats like running a stop sign out in the middle of the country because no other cars are on the road, thats a bad habit

I knew a old guy that use to ride his bicycle out in the country and a lady that was speeding and not obeying speed limits and stop signs turned right into him at full speed killing him

so what if most people on that street drive fast, that doesnt mean you should too

Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
We have one here 2 lane road that's like 80 feet wide... 25 mph speed limit, everyone goes 45 on it. Since it's an obvious speed trap that everyone local knows about, I came the obvious decision to never exceed 30 miles an hour rather than go down it at 45 like everyone else.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
The speeding limit is way too slow. Its designed for seniors with bad vision, its not normal to be going that slow. Who goes 65 on the freeway? You'd get honked if you do!
I am driving my truck 55 to 60 in the 65 posted areas. I get better fuel mileage with the slower speeds. I stay in the slow lanes and try to find a slow trucker to tag behind. I do get cut off a few more times than I used to but they quickly speed off to buy more fuel.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I am driving my truck 55 to 60 in the 65 posted areas. I get better fuel mileage with the slower speeds. I stay in the slow lanes and try to find a slow trucker to tag behind. I do get cut off a few more times than I used to but they quickly speed off to buy more fuel.
Unless they're, y'know, not driving a truck.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,590 times
I think the term "speed trap" is funny. Speed limits are usually clearly posted or at least common knowledge and nobody forced or fooled you into speeding so you can't really complain. You know what the consequences are if you get caught. If you don't like it slow down or continue to speed, pay the price.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
How do they guarantee you'll be going at least 10 mph over the speed limit? Isn't that a voluntary decision? Who determines the speed limit? What is your suggestion for the cops (e.g., at what point should they give tickets)? Have you tried petitioning to have the limit raised? Anyplace where you go over the speed limit you can get ticketed.
I believe Deperment of Transportation Engineers determine the speed limits through speed surveys. Police do not determine the speeds on a street.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Unless they're, y'know, not driving a truck.
I am driving a Ford 4x4 V8 pick up and getting 27 mpg by keeping my foot out of it. When I drove 70 like a ass I got 15-17 mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento