Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 05:51 PM

170 posts, read 252,103 times

Advertisements

I have been on City Data off and on for years, in three different states as we have needed to move for work...getting advice and help on finding pet friendly apts/houses that will take three dogs. I have gotten wonderful info each and every time.

i wanted to thank everyone who ever posted about it...for all your help.

Today, very suddenly, without warning...we lost our 11 yr old Yorkie, Jake. I am devestated. Completely. We still have our 7 and 8 yr old rescues...Jake though, was the last of my original three Yorkies...I had him even before my husand.

We still have to move to Sac Sept 1st....I still have to start looking (Midtown, downtown, Antelope, Roseville.....who knows)....but now it seems so insignifcant.

I know that only having two dogs will make it hugely easier to find a place. I think I'd live in Motel 6 though, to have things back to the way they were this morning.

Thanks again for all your posts and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM

356 posts, read 703,556 times
I'm so sorry to hear this. My two beagles mean the world to me. My last dog died just before a big move, and it was so difficult to move without her... when I was looking at places to live, I kept thinking how much she would like (or not like) each place we saw.

Take care, and remember what a great life you and Jake had together. I'm sure he was a very lucky Yorkie.

ETA: When you feel up to researching again, let me know if you want any advice on Midtown or downtown. I just moved to Midtown a month ago with my husband and two dogs and lived downtown for two weeks in a temporary apartment. I can give you a newcomer's (and dog owner's) perspective.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this. My two beagles mean the world to me. My last dog died just before a big move, and it was so difficult to move without her... when I was looking at places to live, I kept thinking how much she would like (or not like) each place we saw.

Take care, and remember what a great life you and Jake had together. I'm sure he was a very lucky Yorkie.

ETA: When you feel up to researching again, let me know if you want any advice on Midtown or downtown. I just moved to Midtown a month ago with my husband and two dogs and lived downtown for two weeks in a temporary apartment. I can give you a newcomer's (and dog owner's) perspective.

thank you so much. One of our rescues is part beagle and beagles were one of the breeds we had growing up so I understand what great dogs they are.

I am doing the same thing re: thoughts about moving..."would Jake have liked this place...how can I leave this place where we lived last"...

Ultimately though, we will be moving in less than 2 months so the work has to be done.

We are very interested in Midtown/downtown and I think we are looking at a place 6th st near J..we made the appt earlier in the week before we lost Jake. If you know that area at all, love to hear about it. Also, any of your experiences would be appreciated. We are brand new to Sac. My office in in McClellan so we are thinking Midtown/dowtown for the walkability of dining and sights...or maybe Antelope or Roseville for the proximity to work. I heard Folsom is very nice but I think its busy on 50 about 730am.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:31 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,427 times
Sorry to hear about losing your dog.

Personally I would pick either Midtown or one of the near by neighborhoods (Land Park / Curtis Park / East Sac). It doesn't sound like you have children or need schools or anything like that. If I was with out kids or the future of such tasks then I would easily pick one of the areas I just mentioned.

If I were going to go with suburbs I would definitely look into Roseville over Antelope. I am not saying Antelope is bad but I just like Roseville more.

I am also drawing a blank with anywhere to live around 6th and J st. Personally I would pick the midtown neighborhood over downtown. Midtown has more activity / restaurants etc that are not just open during the business week. Downtown has that feeling most of the time. There is also some rentals in Old Sac as far as I know which could be fun too.

Folsom is very nice but is not really appropriate for your commute. Look at the map of Sacramento and you will notice there is not any really easy way to get from Folsom to Mcclellan.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Sorry to hear about your dog. I really feel for you (been there also)....so heartbreaking.

Perhaps some good news for you....I just saw this rental listed on the local Folsom forum.

Quote:
1800 SF, 3br, 2ba, 2 car garage home in American River Canyon. Older home on large lot in very quiet, stable neighborhood. Bathrooms were renovated in 2010. Great Folsom schools.
$1800.00 month includes sewer, trash and landscape maintenance. $2500 Security deposit. Reasonable pets OK with additional deposit.
Home available after July 20, 2012.
View by appointment only. Contact Jesse at (707) 321-5890.
I work with a lot of people in EDH who commute in from many distant communities. It is doable to come to Folsom/EDH from Natomas, Antelope, Roseville, Yuba City, etc. But the earlier you can be on the road is better, and the most direct route is via surface roads. It's not that bad if you time it right.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 PM

thanks everyone for your input. I will still be looking over the next couple weeks. And thank you for the direct links to my inbox. I will start on those also.

We looked at a place today downtown, two in Folsom, and one in Davis. Loved one of the two in Folsom. I drove the commute from there to work...now of course, it was saturday about 4pm vs Monday at 715am...but it was about 19 miles and took me 30 minutes taking Madison. Beats my 75mile/75 minute (if I hit absolutely no traffic) each way drive now.

Going to do more exploring tomorrow. Keeps me out of the house

thanks again.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Sorry about your pup! I don't really have anything to add about renting

Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 PM

356 posts, read 703,556 times
Good luck with your search! I'm sure you'll find something you love. I sent you a direct message, but here's a recap:

We really love living in Midtown. It is really the best place to be if you want to walk to restaurants, theaters and nightlife. The streets are lined with huge trees that provide welcome shade, so walking in the residential neighborhoods is almost like strolling in a park. We can walk to dozens of restaurants and shops and are as short walk to McKinley Park and Capitol Park. So far I feel very safe here. We do have homeless people who hang out in the parks during the day, but they don't seem to bother anyone.

We stayed downtown for a couple weeks while we were waiting for our furniture to arrive. It's a nice area, with a number of great restaurants, and K Street is kind of cool. There's a semi-outdoor mall on K Street called Westfield Shopping Center. Capitol Park is absolutely gorgeous and one of my favorite places to walk the dogs. There are weekly farmers markets at Cesar Chavez Plaza, Capitol Park and Fremont Park, and Friday night summer concerts at Cesar Chavez.

However, I would personally not opt to live in downtown, especially as far west as 6th Street. First, while there are lots of government/office people around during the day, it's pretty dead at night and on the weekends, despite a big development push. I don't think very many people live downtown yet. You're near Old Sacramento, which is kind of interesting but really oriented toward tourists. Most of the evening activity happens in Midtown. Second, parts of western downtown are still a little
seedy. I was advised to live east of 10th Street if I was going to live downtown. Edit: I would consider living just south of Capitol Park, near Fremont Park. Nice area.

Two other city neighborhoods we looked at that I'm sure you would love are East Sacramento and Land Park. They are beautiful, tree-lined residential neighborhoods with adorable single-family homes, and are relatively close to Midtown/downtown. East Sac has some nice restaurants and shops and is a short bike ride or drive to Midtown. Also check out Curtis Park and maybe Pocket.

Roseville and Folsom are both nice, but are far more suburban, with strip malls and chain stores. Folsom has a cute, recently refurbished Old Town area, lots of bike trails, and is next to the American River and Folsom Lake. If we had to live in the suburbs this is where we would choose, primarily because of the proximity to outdoor recreation and light rail.

Roseville is known as one of the nicer suburbs. It has lots of shopping malls and very nice parks and walking trails. They have restrictions regarding dogs in public areas, though. You'll need to check which parks allow them. I would definitely check out Fair Oaks, too, if you're leaning toward the suburbs. I'm not familiar with Antelope.

The best websites to look for rentals are craigslist.org and sacrentals.com.

sacramento apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Sacramento rental house for rent Sacramento rentals home for lease property management Folsom managers renting leasing rental property Mckinley Park East Sacramento Midtown grid, Landpark , Folson, Elk Grove, Roseville, duplex, condo and apartment re

The best advice, of course, is to walk and drive around each neighborhood and see which one feels like the best fit for you.

Again, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento