Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times

Advertisements

Old Europe closed? Sad news...not many places around here for German food. Good news for Chicago Fire, though, the pizza there has generally been very good (and the Midtown location is generally bumpin', again, location) and there isn't much Chicago-style pizza around here either (Zelda's is called Chicago-style, which it is not, although it is wonderful.) My knowledge of Folsom doesn't extend much beyond Old Folsom since I generally visit on light rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:08 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Default Old Europe

Apparently the owner/chef was involved in an auto accident in may, and has moved back to Prague after selling his restaurant. Very sad.

The rumor is that Bonn Lair, Irish/English Pubs, will be moving in.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:45 AM

66 posts, read 119,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I'm curious, what are your generalizations about each of these neighborhoods?
Why?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacoftomatoes View Post
Why?
Well...you said you have lived there for at least the last 15 years +/- a few years. I always find it interesting to hear what "old-timers" have to say about their community. Although, I get the impression that you aren't an old-timer in age, but in length of time in Folsom. I'm a fairly recent newcomer to Sacto (7 years) including in Folsom (3 years), although my brother has lived there since the early 90's. I've got lots of friends in Folsom who would disagree with some of your comments, however, I really think that has to do with age.

I'd just like to compare rumors and impressions, that's all.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,111 times
Just a warning....from a native Los Angeleno. I would take into consideration the fact that u r going to be bored out of ur skull!!!_ I would DEFINITELY choose the option that is closest to the Bay Area!! I moved to El Eldorado County about 8 yrs ago & STILL can't find anything to do most of the time!! Ur moving from Vegas, you are going to go crazy!!! Hahaha

Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtowndreamer View Post
Just a warning....from a native Los Angeleno. I would take into consideration the fact that u r going to be bored out of ur skull!!!_ I would DEFINITELY choose the option that is closest to the Bay Area!! I moved to El Eldorado County about 8 yrs ago & STILL can't find anything to do most of the time!! Ur moving from Vegas, you are going to go crazy!!! Hahaha
I'm not bored at all living in Folsom. There's always something going on...something to do. And I can always venture down into the greater Sacto metro if desired. I've learned to enjoy myself despite the circumstances around me.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
Oh brother. hangtown dreamer, El Dorado county? Look at a map. It is filled with Tahoe Basin, Tahoe National forest, Rivers, Lakes.... why are you expecting that to be Los angeles or Bay area? If I went to Van Nuys and complained that there was no river rafting I would be clinically insane, but you move to the gold country and complain that it isn't metro city and that makes sense?

Furthermore, Folsom is not in El Dorado County.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 PM

13 posts, read 27,336 times
Yeah~ actually was a little worried about the being bored thing. There is a lot of stuff going on in Vegas all the time but hangovers get old real quick. We are pretty outdoorsy though so will take advantage of all the camping and boating in the area. We visited this weekend~still overwhelmed about which area to choose. Started in Lodi-found a nice little neighborhood in Woodbridge but just around the corner the neighborhood seems a little rough (But my husband loved the proximity). Then we moved north to check out Folsom and EDH (Oh yeah, went through elk grove, not really a good fit). I dont know what I was thinking but the housing is wayyy more expensive and its all way older than Vegas LOL-no kidding!! So I am going to pay way more for a way older and way smaller house than I have now. way!
Folsom has a charming downtown, not many people out tho, went to the mall in Folsom on Thursday night to see a movie, gorgeous mall, it was a ghost town. Folsom lake was hoppin on Saturday. I loved Rocklin, my husband didnt and thought it was too far away. Went through Brentwood, nice areas right next to not so nice areas~ Discovery Bay so amazing except for some parts...dont have it all figured out yet

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM

409 posts, read 957,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmess View Post
Yeah~ actually was a little worried about the being bored thing. There is a lot of stuff going on in Vegas all the time but hangovers get old real quick. We are pretty outdoorsy though so will take advantage of all the camping and boating in the area. We visited this weekend~still overwhelmed about which area to choose. Started in Lodi-found a nice little neighborhood in Woodbridge but just around the corner the neighborhood seems a little rough (But my husband loved the proximity). Then we moved north to check out Folsom and EDH (Oh yeah, went through elk grove, not really a good fit). I dont know what I was thinking but the housing is wayyy more expensive and its all way older than Vegas LOL-no kidding!! So I am going to pay way more for a way older and way smaller house than I have now. way!
Folsom has a charming downtown, not many people out tho, went to the mall in Folsom on Thursday night to see a movie, gorgeous mall, it was a ghost town. Folsom lake was hoppin on Saturday. I loved Rocklin, my husband didnt and thought it was too far away. Went through Brentwood, nice areas right next to not so nice areas~ Discovery Bay so amazing except for some parts...dont have it all figured out yet
Well the cats out of the bag at this point...the Sacramento area is not a hotbed of excitement. However, its the only inland metropolitan area in California (ok that's subject to debate)l that combines access to a number of suburbs with low crime, excellent schools,decent shopping/entertainment venues(although certainly not to the level of Vegas), outdoor recreational opportunities like snow skiing, dirt bike parks, bike trails, kayaking/rafting, boating etc and, more often than not, pleasant summer evenings. Believe it or not the housing is inexpensive by California standards (that's California for you).

You mention that Elk Grove was not a good fit but I do recall an area called Laguna West (which is now the farthest western portion of Elk Grove,adjacent to Interstate 5) which seemed to have all the amenities of suburbia...a town center, nicely appointed homes, some homes with access to an artificial lake, respected school district, etc. It would be a straight shot to Stockton south on I-5 as well as SAC airport traveling north on I-5.

Another nice neighborhood is the Pocket area of Sacramento. Very well kept area although I'm unsure about the middle and high schools. Here's a link you may find useful for that info...

California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-05-2012, 04:59 PM

66 posts, read 119,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Well...you said you have lived there for at least the last 15 years +/- a few years. I always find it interesting to hear what "old-timers" have to say about their community. Although, I get the impression that you aren't an old-timer in age, but in length of time in Folsom. I'm a fairly recent newcomer to Sacto (7 years) including in Folsom (3 years), although my brother has lived there since the early 90's. I've got lots of friends in Folsom who would disagree with some of your comments, however, I really think that has to do with age.

I'd just like to compare rumors and impressions, that's all.
I would be interested to hear what they disagree with but I am always happy to share my perspective. If there is a specific neighborhood you would like me to discuss, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento