Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times

Advertisements

The differences are in long-term trends--over the past 50 years, Detroit lost more total population than currently live in Sacramento today. Sacramento has never dropped in population from one census to the next--our biggest population booms were during the period when Detroit was losing hundreds of thousands to its suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:38 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The differences are in long-term trends--over the past 50 years, Detroit lost more total population than currently live in Sacramento today. Sacramento has never dropped in population from one census to the next--our biggest population booms were during the period when Detroit was losing hundreds of thousands to its suburbs.
that post was talking about employment, not population.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:54 PM

409 posts, read 957,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan View Post
I found out yesterday the Air Force is moving me to Beale AFB and I need some input from locals that will help ease my wife's mind. We lived in Atlanta for a long period of time and both enjoy everything city life has to offer (sports, restaurants, shows, concerts, etc) and now we live at the beach in Charleston SC so moving cross country will be a bit of an adjustment but an adventure too. We'll probably settle in Roseville or Lincoln due to my commute, can anyone tell me what there is to see and do in those towns or is it basic suburbia? Is Folsom Lake a popular place to go? What kind of history does Sacramento have? Are there mine tours or any cool historical sites?

After doing some research I see we'll be about 2 hours from San Fran, Tahoe, wine country and Yosemite but for the weekends we stay home what is there to do in Sacramento for a couple without kids? She loves to cook and we both love going out to restaurants so can someone tell me about the farmers markets and the restaurant scene in the city and surrounding areas? Are there any grocery stores that are better than others?

Right now she's a manager at a restaurant and would probably look for something like a wine distributor. Is that something she should look into or is that more concentrated down around Napa?

Sorry for all the questions but the bottom line is what would you tell a southern boy and a Jersey girl to convice them that Sacramento is the place to be?

Restaurants: The City of Sacramento is very diverse as well as some of the surrounding communities. You'll find everything from Korean BBQ to Mexican...hole in the walls to upscale eateries. Just a few suggestions...

The Kitchen-Contemporary American cuisine,The building and location itself are nothing special but the food and service were excellent

Nopalitos-if you want to try a good breakfast/Mexican breakfast this would be the place to start. Its a neighborhood diner and no you wont feel out of place. Only open for breakfast and lunch. Try the low cal Huevos Rancheros (ok its not really low cal but its good) for breakfast. they also serve traditional pancakes and omelettes for the less adventurous.

Zocalo-decent Mexican food. Location inside an old auto dealership building in an urban setting makes a trip there worth it.

Press Bistro-I'm partial to crepes and creme brulee... try those for dessert, yum. Try the hanger steak as well.

Esquire Grill-food is just ok but the atmosphere and service make up for it

Thai Paradise-excellent Thai food in a clean contemporary setting.

Love coffee?...try the Temple Coffee House...cool building in downtown Sacramento

Havent found any good Italian restaurants in Sacramento but after visits to South Philly and NYC...Mama Mia...such good Italian food...it wont be fair to compare (hoping other posters will offer suggestions)

For grocery stores...

I like Corti Bros...small but excellent wine selection. Wonderful meats, specialty items and service.

Nugget Markets..upscale grocery store chain. I've only been to the one in El Dorado Hills but I imagine they're pretty much the same. They have the ability to transform even ordinary deli meats into something flavorful

Trader Joes-eclectic collection of foods

Whole Foods Market...Only been to the one in SF near the skating rink. There's a new one in the City of Folsom which is east of Sacramento. My only interest was the coffee, Samosas saffron rice, mac and cheese (comfort food) but a lot of people like shopping there.

Bel Air/Raleys are local supermarkets with a good reputation for service.

Things to do:

Crocker Art Museum

California Auto Museum

California Railroad Museum

Sacramento Shakespeare Festival...Sacramento Shakespeare Festival - Your Visit

Moaning Cavern Park...http://www.caverntours.com/MoCavRt.

American River Parkway-If you like biking you will love this trail which extends from downtown Sac to Folsom Lake

Old Sacramento-A genuine part of Sacramento history from its Wild West days(ok maybe not so wild) with shops, restaurants etc. Despite the abundance of shops which makes it feel a bit tacky its a fun place to stroll, people watch, eat and drink.

California Capitol Building and grounds.

Rivercats-local baseball team

Sacramento Kings-NBA team

Honestly, Sacramento is an acquired taste. The longer you stay here the more you appreciate its qualities

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
Honestly, Sacramento is an acquired taste. The longer you stay here the more you appreciate its qualities
lol, i like that. maybe i'll move there yet!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,310,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
they look pretty equal to me. and the same as where i am now!
Per Capita Income is also pretty similar between the two regions. Per Capita Income in the Sacramento MSA was $39,987 in 2010 vs $38,197 in the Detroit MSA in 2010.

Per Capita Personal Income in Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA (MSA) (SACR906PCPI) - FRED - St. Louis Fed

Per Capita Personal Income in Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI (MSA) (DETR826PCPI) - FRED - St. Louis Fed

The big difference right now is in housing prices. According to the National Association of realtors median priced home in the Detroit Region in the first quarter of 2012 $52,300 vs. $164,900 in the Sacramento region in the first quarter of 2012.

http://www.realtor.org/sites/default...2012-05-09.pdf

I have cousins who live in Grosse Pointe, which is on the lake. There are parts of the Detroit region that are really quite lovely filled with forests. In the past one could argue that you paid a premium to live in Sacramento region vs Detroit region because the local economy is Sacramento generally was better than the local economy in Detroit and it was just easier to find work here than there, but right now that just isn't the case. In terms of museums, professional sports and just general stuff to do, the Detroit area because its a lot bigger just offers a lot more to do.

People in California tend to be rather dismissive of the mid-west. But I do wonder if the difference in housing prices between the Sacramento and the mid-western locations is going to shrink as people leave here for equivalent or better employment options and much cheaper housing prices in the mid-west.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:11 AM

484 posts, read 855,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
If you want to agree with someone because of the merits of the arguments that they present fine, but agreeing with someone because they are regular long time posters is inane.
I Said 'I have to agree with WBURG. He/She is a very valuable and reliable poster' never mentioned how long or short the person is posting on here
btw. WBURG. posts accurate, clear, concise, factual, up-to date, on target intelligent information. OKAY TOOTS

Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 AM

290 posts, read 544,737 times
Some downside's to Sacramento is that its a very state worker oriented city. There aren't a lot of good private sector jobs. Some of our venues for theater and entertainment aren't as abundant or nice as Atlanta. Also we don't have pro sports like Atlanta.

The good part is that the cost of living relative to other areas in CA is cheaper. The area is growing and still cheap. Also you are close to a lot of nice destination's (Tahoe, San Francisco etc). If you like good shopping and restaurants you would probably like Roseville. Roseville and downtown sac have the best restaurants, but Roseville in my opinion has the best retail shopping in all of Sacramento. Another bonus is the weather. Yes it can get hot in Sac but we don't have the crazy humidity you have in Atlanta. Summer evenings are cool and enjoyable.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,325 times
Quote:
I found out yesterday the Air Force is moving me to Beale AFB
I'm so sorry.

EDIT:

I've actually had the opportunity to stay at Beale before. It's ... really out there. Where will you be staying at? On base or off base? The area surrounding the AFB is literally a small little town with not much to offer, and is about an hour away from Sacramento. The drive is not fun or interesting and you're out in the countryside.

The base itself is another "wonderful" experience.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
We'll probably settle in Roseville or Lincoln due to my commute, can anyone tell me what there is to see and do in those towns or is it basic suburbia? Is Folsom Lake a popular place to go? What kind of history does Sacramento have? Are there mine tours or any cool historical sites?
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
Where will you be staying at? On base or off base? The area surrounding the AFB is literally a small little town with not much to offer, and is about an hour away from Sacramento. The drive is not fun or interesting and you're out in the countryside.
did you read the post?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:16 PM

583 posts, read 885,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
If you want to agree with someone because of the merits of the arguments that they present fine, but agreeing with someone because they are regular long time posters is inane.
Oh, that's de rigeur here on C-D. This forum is filled of self-congratulatory cliques who band together to defend their positions as the bullies of these streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento