Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Interesting, only news 40 is reporting this...no other local news source, but many other pro-gay media sources are. It could've happened... We have a couple of 21 year olds claiming it did...Roseville is pretty conservative...I suppose if you feel really strongly about it you could join the planned gay kiss-in.
I guess this will ultimately end up in new laws banning public displays of affection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I guess this will ultimately end up in new laws banning public displays of affection.
I would vote for that. If all people aren't allowed to display affection in public, then NO-ONE should be able to.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I would vote for that. If all people aren't allowed to display affection in public, then NO-ONE should be able to.
Absolutely! More nanny government. That's the answer. Right think, right speak and right act all mandated and enforced by the state. Didn't someone write an absolutely prescient book about that in 1949?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
I wouldn't vote for that either. I demand the right to kiss on pretty girls whenever I wanna. You all can just close your eyes if you don't like it.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Absolutely! More nanny government. That's the answer. Right think, right speak and right act all mandated and enforced by the state. Didn't someone write an absolutely prescient book about that in 1949?
Right on cue.

cityx's point was that if we aren't all free, then no one is. I don't think cityx was actually recommending that the proper course of action was limiting freedoms for everyone.

Everyone's happy to chalk up another victory for George Orwell every time they think speech or expression is being limited. But alas, it's far easier to argue that we have more freedoms today than we did in 1949, particularly if you're anything besides a white male. Sure, 1984 is worth reading, but I think it's become too much of a reductivist shortcut in complaining about a given law or action, and too much of a justification for a slippery slope argument.

As far as prescient mid-century sci-fi books go, I'd throw my hat in the ring for Brave New World. But I digress.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Right on cue.

cityx's point was that if we aren't all free, then no one is. I don't think cityx was actually recommending that the proper course of action was limiting freedoms for everyone.

Everyone's happy to chalk up another victory for George Orwell every time they think speech or expression is being limited. But alas, it's far easier to argue that we have more freedoms today than we did in 1949, particularly if you're anything besides a white male. Sure, 1984 is worth reading, but I think it's become too much of a reductivist shortcut in complaining about a given law or action, and too much of a justification for a slippery slope argument.

As far as prescient mid-century sci-fi books go, I'd throw my hat in the ring for Brave New World. But I digress.
Right on cue indeed. But then again, those in favor of Orwellian-syle controls likely need them.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Right on cue indeed. But then again, those in favor of Orwellian-syle controls likely need them.
Because they can't keep their hands off their gay lover in public?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,588 times
No nanny government needed.

If I sunbath nude on a family beach, people will complain. If I sunbath nude at the (unofficial, but well known) nude beach, it's all good.

If I have dreadlocks, I might be hired at the organic coffeeshop in the beach community, but I probably won't be hired at the It's a Grind in Provo, Utah.

It's only a problem when people around you complain. Get in where you fit in.

Anybody catch Ellen yesterday? Just out of curiousity.

I watched that show "The New Normal" last night? Two gay guys having a baby. NBC I believe. 8:30. Lot's of kissing. We Americans sure are a bunch of homophobes! Those kids at the mall really need to rally for their rights. I don't know how they manage to live in this society. I just don't know how on earth do they get a job or find a restaurant to serve them. geez! It must be awful to have your rights as a human attacked by this HORRIBLE homophobic society that we live in! If it weren't for Knotts Berry Farm having a special night where these guys aren't completely ostracized from society, I swear they'd never be able to leave there home. I think it is akin to the devastation the native american community endured during manifest destiny or the jews during the hitler era. How tragic.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM

6,909 posts, read 8,282,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I wouldn't vote for that either. I demand the right to kiss on pretty girls whenever I wanna. You all can just close your eyes if you don't like it.
I like this attitude and idea much more!

Unfortunately if gay male couples ran around with that attitude people would hate-dislike them even more, especially in conservative areas.

I am so sick of hearing crap like. "I know gay people and I don't dislike them, I just don't want to see them kiss in front of me". "When they get affectionate with each other it rubs me wrong". When they get passionate I have to look the other way". "I just don't want my kids to see that".

An old straight couple, man and women embraced, kissing each other is considered heartwarming and wholesome.

An old gay male couple embraced, kissing each other instills discomfort, cat-calls, heckles, profanities and disgust.

I'm not saying gays males don't walk around arm and arm, being affectionate in most major cities across american today, but it wasn't that long ago when that could only be done in a few neighborhoods in SF, NY and LA. Otherwise they were beat and bashed. And the bashings and profanities still occur.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I like this attitude and idea much more!

Unfortunately if gay male couples ran around with that attitude people would hate-dislike them even more, especially in conservative areas.

I am so sick of hearing crap like. "I know gay people and I don't dislike them, I just don't want to see them kiss in front of me". "When they get affectionate with each other it rubs me wrong". When they get passionate I have to look the other way". "I just don't want my kids to see that".

An old straight couple, man and women embraced, kissing each other is considered heartwarming and wholesome.

An old gay male couple embraced, kissing each other instills discomfort, cat-calls, heckles, profanities and disgust.

I'm not saying gays males don't walk around arm and arm, being affectionate in most major cities across american today, but it wasn't that long ago when that could only be done in a few neighborhoods in SF, NY and LA. Otherwise they were beat and bashed. And the bashings and profanities still occur.
Well, I done told my story down in CA general how as a 6th grader I was tricked into attending a magnet school that turned out to be performing arts oriented through 8th grade. Then I went to Roosevelt High and durned if they didn't put a performing arts school there.

As a consequence I saw lots of boys in leg warmers wandering about (this being the '80's and Flashdance was hot) and figured some things out as a consequence. As long as they didn't laugh at me in my tennis shorts I didn't laugh at them in their leg warmers. Worked out fine then, and y'all are welcome in Fresno near as I can tell. 'Specially in the Tower District.

I'm generally fine with idioms for communicating with other Americans.

So Live and Let Live works fine for me. Along with: It takes all kinds. You can just about put those together and see where I am in a general sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento