Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 PM

78 posts, read 103,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If the troll had completed a comprehensive survey of the Sacramento region and a compative analysis between the Sacramento region, the Bay Area and greater Los Angeles, it would be parochial to take offense if that analysis concluded that Sacramento had fewer cultural offerings. But this person concluded that the entire Sacramento region was utterly without merit based on a brief visit to an outlying suburbs, which seems kind of parochial itself. If they based their perceptions about Los Angeles on one disappointing trip to Downey, they would be just as worthy of scorn.
Well, EclecticEars said after 1 day in Citrus Heights that he thought Sacramento was "fairly bland". Quick judgement? Sure. Accurate? Yes, compared to the Bay Area.

I've been living here for a couple of years now, and, you know, cultural offerings here suck, compared to the Bay Area. I still drive back to the Bay Area for art, music, and good meals. You can make do here, but that's all it is--making do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 02:01 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,307,615 times
Sounds like your assumptions are holding you back. The Bay Area is nice, but there are plenty of places here for entertainment, fine dining and meeting interesting people. If you haven't bothered looking anywhere but Citrus Heights or whatever burb you ended up in, odds are you haven't encountered it--which puts you in the very definition of "provincial."

Old 04-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Well, in other threads, you've recommended

- "Bombay Grill on 21st and Capitol."

Greasy and under-spiced.

- "Tea Cup Cafe on 21st and P does, and they have great dim sum."

No they don't. Their dim sum is wrong on so many levels. There are places on Stockton that are better, but none that are good. Hong Kong Islander on Freeport was ok, but they seem to have regressed. Perhaps I went on a bad day.

You also mentioned (not sure it rose to the point of a recommendation) the Sacramento Philharmonic, orchestra and choral groups at among other places Sacramento City College, and the "Classical Revolution".

If these are your picks of the best Sacramento has to offer, we'll just have to agree to disagree on how well they match up with the Bay Area.

OBTW, my son is going through a dinosaur phase. Anywhere nearby he can admire some dinosaur skeletons? Or do we have to trek to San Francisco?

Last edited by j0euser; 04-27-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The Bay Area is nice, but there are plenty of places here for entertainment, fine dining and meeting interesting people.
Tsk tsk. I said, "cultural offerings here suck, compared to the Bay Area".

You do realize both sets of statements can be true at the same time. I'm sure this is an honest mistake rather than a debate trick.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM

"Suck" is kind of the sticking point here. Saying a place sucks is always going to sound rude, arrogant and snobby, whether in comparison to another place or some kind of"objective suckage." Maybe in the Bay Area people are expected to simply accept the disdain and contempt of others, but that's just not how I roll.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 PM

"We have established what you are, madam. We are now merely haggling over the price."

Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM

"Your Majesty is like a dose of clap."

Last edited by wburg; 04-27-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,815,584 times
For the record, I actually like Northern California. And I've been to the Greater Sac area, including Sac proper, two times before that trip.

I talked with a friend here in the Bay Area last night and she agreed with me that Sac felt a little "pretentious." And she's a Bay Area native (an unpretentious one) who lived in Sac for several months before turning down a permanent job offer.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM

409 posts, read 958,576 times
And...the Bay Area sucks in terms of culture and entertainment compared to New York City and I'll break down and say that which should not be spoken out openly...even compared to LA! so what? In other words what's the point of these posts. People who live in the Bay Area have different priorities then people who move or live in Sacramento and its suburbs. Both populations can find happiness in their environs

Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM

I'm no judge of classical music, it's not something that interests me, that was in response to a poster who was asking about classical music. I suppose my tastes in music and food are more lowbrow than your rarefied Bay Arean tastes--I'm more into cheeseburgers and garage bands. Having had dim sum and Indian food in the Bay Area, including places locals recommended, I couldn't tell you why one was better than the other. I like Bombay Grill and Tea Cup just fine, and if you don't, that's your loss and none of mine.

Put it this way. If you said "My child gets better grades than your child," I might grudgingly accept it as a statement of fact, assuming that it were true (and that you knew my child's grades.) If you said "My child is smarter than your child," I might take offense and challenge your assumption. If you said "My child makes your child look like a pathetic, worthless idiot," the "talking" part of the conversation would be quickly superseded by the "punching in the face" part of the conversation. I can't imagine why anyone would be so rude, unless they were deliberately looking for a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento