Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2024, 11:05 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
That's closer to Cabo than I thought! I only happen to know that Puerto Vallarta is 1500 miles, bc our friends who used to live in Sacramento were thinking about buying a place in PV and said they'd be closer to us being in Mexico, but of course we had to remind them they would be three times as far... Somehow, ppl have no sense of distance. Like some ppl in SoCal think SF is basically near Seattle and Canada, or SD is near everywhere in Mexico.... My mother-in-law always thinks SF is on the same latitude as her hometown of Dublin Ireland, when in fact they are 15° latitudinal difference. Some ppl are not good with spatial things like maps...

Anyway, looks like Cabo is closer to SD than Seattle and almost identical to Portland. That makes the idea of driving to Portland much less attractive!
Ya, I don't like driving long distance anymore it's inefficient way to use your time. I have a 2-3 hour one-way rule. If it's further than 2-3 hours, just fly. This is why I rarely drive to LA, San Diego or Vegas any more. I used to drive to LA all the time, I hate it now. I rarely rarely drive to San Diego even back in the day, that extra 120 miles from downtown LA just kills ya on top of that you are driving through the worse of all of SoCal traffic to get there. Growing-up in SD, we never drove to LA just because it was "so far". SD has always been is "own separate culture" from the rest of SoCal, "very disconnected" from LA and much of OC. I think it's still that way.

Wind Chill:
Portland 24F
Seattle 28F

Sacramento 48F
Walnut Creek 49F - Bay Area

San Diego 60F

Cabo San Lucas 80F

Sac to Burbank, CA - 375 miles
Sac to LA 385 miles - drove dozens and dozens of times, almost never now
Sac to Santa Barbara 390 miles
Sac to Long Beach 405 miles
Sac to Orange County - 410 miles - drove maybe 3 times
Sac to Ontario, CA - 420 miles

Sac to Palm Springs 490 miles
Sac to San Diego 500 miles - drove maybe 5 times

Sac to Las Vegas 560 miles - drove 3 times, never again, always fly
Sac to Portland: 580 miles - drove twice

Sac to Salt Lake City 650 miles - drove once for ski trip, never again

Sac to Seattle: 752 miles - drove once
Sac to Phoenix - 755 miles - drove once

Sac has multiple non-stop daily flights to all of those places above and often you don't need a car when you get there so no need to drive, just Fly. All those flights are just 1-2 hours easy-peasy, don't drive, not worth it :-)

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-18-2024 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 09:33 PM

1,443 posts, read 1,567,698 times
yea a 2 hour flight to San Diego beats 10-12 hrs of slogging in bad so cal traffic!

Old 01-19-2024, 04:17 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Such a great point, Chim. Those extra 120 miles from LA to SD are the killer.
Driving from the Bay or Sac to LA is a flat 6 hours, not that big of a deal, but two more hours (or worse if you hit traffic) really wears you out. We used to do that drive twice a year when we'd go back and forth, but we also lived in two separate condos and would stay for three months at a time, so it made sense, and we needed our car.

2 hours is our max for a daytrip, but even that's pushing it these days! We would and do go to LA or Palm Springs for the day, but it doesn't leave much time to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Ya, I don't like driving long distance anymore it's inefficient way to use your time. I have a 2-3 hour one-way rule. If it's further than 2-3 hours, just fly. This is why I rarely drive to LA, San Diego or Vegas any more. I used to drive to LA all the time, I hate it now. I rarely rarely drive to San Diego even back in the day, that extra 120 miles from downtown LA just kills ya on top of that you are driving through the worse of all of SoCal traffic to get there. Growing-up in SD, we never drove to LA just because it was "so far". SD has always been is "own separate culture" from the rest of SoCal, "very disconnected" from LA and much of OC. I think it's still that way.

Wind Chill:
Portland 24F
Seattle 28F

Sacramento 48F
Walnut Creek 49F - Bay Area

San Diego 60F

Cabo San Lucas 80F

Sac to Burbank, CA - 375 miles
Sac to LA 385 miles - drove dozens and dozens of times, almost never now
Sac to Santa Barbara 390 miles
Sac to Long Beach 405 miles
Sac to Orange County - 410 miles - drove maybe 3 times
Sac to Ontario, CA - 420 miles

Sac to Palm Springs 490 miles
Sac to San Diego 500 miles - drove maybe 5 times

Sac to Las Vegas 560 miles - drove 3 times, never again, always fly
Sac to Portland: 580 miles - drove twice

Sac to Salt Lake City 650 miles - drove once for ski trip, never again

Sac to Seattle: 752 miles - drove once
Sac to Phoenix - 755 miles - drove once

Sac has multiple non-stop daily flights to all of those places above and often you don't need a car when you get there so no need to drive, just Fly. All those flights are just 1-2 hours easy-peasy, don't drive, not worth it :-)

Old 01-19-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
yea a 2 hour flight to San Diego beats 10-12 hrs of slogging in bad so cal traffic!
10-12 hours is quite an exaggeration... lol. It's 500 miles. It usually takes 8 hours, which averages 62.5 mph. 12 hours would be like going under 42 mph the entire way! Most of the journey is on I-5, which allows 75 mph and is usually easy to go the speed limit. LA traffic can be stop and go if you don't time it right -- never arrive during rush hour!!

Actual flight time in the air between OAK and SAN (where I used to fly from/to) is actually only 68 minutes -- very short! But they give you 1:35 to taxi and everything. Still, you have to get there at least an hour before, get a ride to the airport, which can take 40 minutes depending on where you come from, and then you need to get from the destination airport to where you're going. Before you know it, those 68 minutes of actual flight time end up being 3.5 hours of your day. So 8 hours driving isn't *that* much worse if you want your car, and/or you want to take a lot of stuff, and/or you want to save money.

Side note: Just wanted to rub it in that yesterday and today were spectacular in SD, we just went for a walk in 66f but with a real feel temp of 73 (the air just felt way warmer). First time it's felt that good in a while. Excited for the rain ahead.

Old 01-19-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
10-12 hours is quite an exaggeration... lol. It's 500 miles. It usually takes 8 hours, which averages 62.5 mph. 12 hours would be like going under 42 mph the entire way! Most of the journey is on I-5, which allows 75 mph and is usually easy to go the speed limit. LA traffic can be stop and go if you don't time it right -- never arrive during rush hour!!

Actual flight time in the air between OAK and SAN (where I used to fly from/to) is actually only 68 minutes -- very short! But they give you 1:35 to taxi and everything. Still, you have to get there at least an hour before, get a ride to the airport, which can take 40 minutes depending on where you come from, and then you need to get from the destination airport to where you're going. Before you know it, those 68 minutes of actual flight time end up being 3.5 hours of your day. So 8 hours driving isn't *that* much worse if you want your car, and/or you want to take a lot of stuff, and/or you want to save money.

Side note: Just wanted to rub it in that yesterday and today were spectacular in SD, we just went for a walk in 66f but with a real feel temp of 73 (the air just felt way warmer). First time it's felt that good in a while. Excited for the rain ahead.
Yep, TS, if you are staying an extended amount of time at your destination, or you are slugging alot of stuff you do need your car.

But when you fly alot to SoCal destinations you find the tricks to make it very efficient despite the security check and what not.

80F Cabo San Lucas - 4 hours en la playa today, Full Sun all day!

58F Sacramento - storm is a coming.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Yep, TS, if you are staying an extended amount of time at your destination, or you are slugging alot of stuff you do need your car.

But when you fly alot to SoCal destinations you find the tricks to make it very efficient despite the security check and what not.

80F Cabo San Lucas - 4 hours en la playa today, Full Sun all day!

58F Sacramento - storm is a coming.
Yes, having TSA PreCheck is a big help in cutting down that travel time. I think it's already raining in norcal, it's going to start here this afternoon, and we should get two to three inches before the beginning of the week. By next weekend, crossing fingers we may be in the 70s here in the south part of the state! It's been way too long since that kind of worked, and for those of us who don't travel to Mexico, we have to stay in place and wait for that vacation weather to come to us! Haha

Old 01-20-2024, 11:05 AM

1,443 posts, read 1,567,698 times
Retiring in Cabo would be amazing as long as it stays safe from cartel violence. I am fluent in Spanish and pension would go farther there than here in Sacramento.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:33 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Retiring in Cabo would be amazing as long as it stays safe from cartel violence. I am fluent in Spanish and pension would go farther there than here in Sacramento.
From what I understand, the cartels and the Mexican Government have a vested interest in maintaining order and safety in Los Cabos since the region has become one of Mexico's most frequented tourist destinations. Some of the cartel money is invested in the resort properties there. In addition, the Los Cabos International Airport has recently become Mexico's 3rd busiest airport after Benito Juarez International Airport in Mexico City and Cancun International Airport.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:48 PM

Wind Chill Temps Jan 21, 2024

Buffalo, NY 16F

Kansas City 23F

Portland 36F
South Lake Tahoe 37F

Houston 40F

Sacramento 52F

Los Angeles 62F

Los Cabos 72F

Old 01-23-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Wind Chill Temps Jan 21, 2024

Buffalo, NY 16F

Kansas City 23F

Portland 36F
South Lake Tahoe 37F

Houston 40F

Sacramento 52F

Los Angeles 62F

Los Cabos 72F
Interesting to see the real feel temps. Did you guys see reports about all the massive flooding all over San Diego County yesterday? It was intense. It was just pouring rain for about 5 to 6 hours straight, close to 3 inches at the airport and 4 inches at Point Loma. The forecast was way off on this one, and we had entire neighborhoods flooded, along with freeways totally submerged. So many freeways were totally closed for the afternoon commute, it was a mess. Looks like El nino is maybe coming to fruition after all. California is looking for more big rainstorms next week after a nice lull this weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento