Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2024, 11:35 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
That's crazy expensive! I didn't realize Sacramento was on PG&E. But 70f is much warmer than we keep it. We turn off the heat at night and let it drop to 63, then raise it to 65 or 66. Bumdle up!
Smart TS, I bet you save alot. We keep it at 70, lower to 68 at night.

Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) is electricity only; PG&E provides the natural gas.

SMUD has a pretty limited area, like even Davis and Roseville are not part of it. But, Folsom and Elk Grove yes.

It's gonna be chilly tonight:

Sac: 36F
South Lake Tahoe: 19F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 01:04 PM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
Quote:
That's crazy expensive! I didn't realize Sacramento was on PG&E. But 70f is much warmer than we keep it. We turn off the heat at night and let it drop to 63, then raise it to 65 or 66. Bumdle up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Smart TS, I bet you save alot. We keep it at 70, lower to 68 at night.

Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) is electricity only; PG&E provides the natural gas.

SMUD has a pretty limited area, like even Davis and Roseville are not part of it. But, Folsom and Elk Grove yes.
Oh, yeah, we're in Lincoln, so it's PG&Expensive for both electricity and gas. I told the wife before moving, only Folsom and Roseville, they are either SMUD or Roseville's own thing, and they're cheap. PG&E's rates are literally twice as much as the other two. I told her, DO NOT look at Rocklin or Lincoln, they're PG&E and we're going to get shafted. Yet. Here we are.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:10 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,001 times
unfortunately my furnace is gas thru PG&E and rates sky high. I use electric blankets to stay warm to keep use of heat at minimum. I barely use heat and PG&E bill was $150 this month.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Oh, yeah, we're in Lincoln, so it's PG&Expensive for both electricity and gas. I told the wife before moving, only Folsom and Roseville, they are either SMUD or Roseville's own thing, and they're cheap. PG&E's rates are literally twice as much as the other two. I told her, DO NOT look at Rocklin or Lincoln, they're PG&E and we're going to get shafted. Yet. Here we are.
If your town, city, or neighborhood is in Sacramento County then you are SMUD, very small parts of Yolo and Placer counties are also SMUD.

The whole idea of a not-for-profit utility was pretty inventive for SMUD and they have also been on the forefront of new technologies and protecting the environment.

When Europe- France and Germany were big on Nuclear Power and the USA was way behind SMUD built Rancho Seco Nuclear Power Plant, and they were big on planting millions of trees in Sacto Cnty, mostly for shade considering the Sac Area is one of the sunniest places in the USA.

Obviously, They scraped Nuclear power after considering all the problems associated with it. They are super big on Solar now, and they still provide FREE trees...they help you decide on the best trees for your property as well.

SACTO: 46F, 7:30PM

Old 02-09-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
unfortunately my furnace is gas thru PG&E and rates sky high. I use electric blankets to stay warm to keep use of heat at minimum. I barely use heat and PG&E bill was $150 this month.
Do you have the hybrid type?

Old 02-09-2024, 10:36 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Part of Sac County are PG&E. West Sac is PG&E, about a decade ago SMUD wanted to take over the electric service there, they ended up having a vote but SMUD couldn't advertise and PG&E spent a ton of money convincing residentes to stay with them and they won, and PG&E is still there.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Do you have the hybrid type?
Everyone with SMUD has PG&E for gas.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
power outages galore mine was out 30 hours. Time for a home generator as we have a third world grid.
The grid is ok, it's the massive amount of trees in Sac County that cause a lot of SMUD's problems. If they had to bury all the lines it would cost a fortune and our bills would probably be higher than what PG&E charges. During the last power outage our power was out for less than 2 hours total which I thought was impressive. Sign up for nextdoor, Gregg Fishman who ran for supervisor is on the SMUD board of directors and gives people a lot of information during outages, he's a good guy. He told people who had been without service for 2 days to get a motel room and bill SMUD

Old 02-09-2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Everyone with SMUD has PG&E for gas.
you misunderstood, I was asking him/her what type o gas heater/furnace he/she has? Full gas furnace or the Hybrid type?

yes, I know if you have gas, then you also have PG&E.

West Sacramento is in Yolo County not Sacramento County.

Im pretty sure everyone in Sacramento County has SMUD for electricity.

Old 02-10-2024, 10:45 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,001 times
my furnace is all gas and my hvac is electric so I have pge and smud. I try to limit heat in winter and ac in summer. my home stays pretty cool in summer and I plan to redo the attic insulation in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento