Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 11:27 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,509 times

Advertisements

Looking at warmer dry parts of the country that are not super expensive for real estate perhaps rural Arizona or New Mexico do not get much rain, cold or snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 05:53 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Looking at warmer dry parts of the country that are not super expensive for real estate perhaps rural Arizona or New Mexico do not get much rain, cold or snow?
Keep looking, your diligence will pay-off. Sometimes you just got to do it, and if it doesn't work out you can always move to Bako, or Fres, because you probably wouldn't be able to afford Sacramento anymore. Or Palmdale, I hear its cheap there.

Wow, the American River is even higher than Sunday, I walked across the Guy West pedestrian suspension bridge (the mini Golden Gate Bridge) at Sacramento State in the high wind; it was bouncing up and down, actually not that bad probably because the engineering students replaced the cables and such within the last 5 years.

There was a kayaker who went screaming down like the River like the Tasmania Devil, lol. Brave man.

Incidentally, does anyone know why they cut down "hundreds" of trees near the mini Golden Gate Bridge?
Some people are really pissed about this and they made a website about it, but the site has been disabled? and someone says, they are building a Salmon Habitat along there, but why the need to cut the trees down? hmmm?

Sacramento: 64F
Seattle: 48F

Old 03-14-2023, 07:33 PM

I start work at 6:30am Chim. It’s windy AF this week !!!!!
Trash cans flew across the yard insane winds.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:01 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Generally won't get much rain in Arizona or New mexico, but New Mexico does get more than arizona, the elevations are higher, and it gets mighty cold in the winter. You pretty much have to get all the way down to the border to escape it. I've been to New Mexico once, it was the end of october, and it snowed in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. That's obviously not common in october, but expect many nights well below freezing. Actually here New Mexico is kind of a hot mess, lots of drugs and crime. Arizona is probably the better place if you can stand the summers. Tucson is better than Phoenix in that regard, but Phoenix has the better infrastructure.
If you're daydreaming about moving somewhere else because of one bad winter, I wouldn't rush a decision like that. We've got transplants to San Diego already complaining that they didn't expect it to be so cold and wet here. Every year is different, no matter where you live. No guarantees of perfection in Arizona or New Mexico either

Old 03-15-2023, 10:07 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
TS,
You should go! and tell me all about it as we have a Joshua Tree National Park trip scheduled for end of the month. Staying in Palm Springs. It will be a nice contrast to our Sierra-Ski day trips of the last few weeks.

I'll be heading up again today to South Tahoe to get in another ski day before Tuesdays heavy rain event. They say the snow line will be as high as 6,500 feet on Tuesday. Fingers crossed no issues at the resort or on highway 50. As of now, Caltrans says it's clear, chains required 10 miles before summit at Twin Bridges, just before Camp Sacramento down into Meyers. You don't need chains if you have AWD.

I'm still loving the rain down in Sacramento. Walks and hikes in the Sacramento/Folsom area are nice, intermittent rain, heavy downpours and then all clear, the Rivers and Lakes are amazing up here. So nice to have a time of the year when it's wet and damp and green everywhere......because we always know we will have not a single cloud in the sky for 6+ months, dry, and full sun coming up.
Looks like the low 80s have left the desert, but they are still looking at mostly mid to upper 70s for the next 10 days, one day in the 60s. Meanwhile, our highest look to be between 52 and 64 during the same period. We work from home, so technically, we could just pick any day we like and work around it, do some emails and phone calls in the car, and catch up a different day. So we can pick the day we want. I would imagine Joshua tree would not be as warm due to the much higher elevation. Haven't been there in almost 30 years, that was one of the first trips I took with my husband when we first dated, we were just starting college. Beautiful place.

Yes, Palm Springs has gotten so expensive, it's like a playground for Angelenos. Haven't been in ages but I know they've built all kinds of new housing and hotel projects downtown. I think you can still get a pretty good house for the money in places like Indio.

Or you can go really far south to the Salton Sea, at your own peril!

Old 03-15-2023, 10:29 AM

Winds were quite massive yesterday and blew trash cans far across the field and knocked them over. Lots of palm branches flew distance too from neighbor palm tree. My backyard and pool is a hot mess but at least no flooding. I plan to sell house in next 5-10 years and move out of the state for lower taxes and more land to east coast. Then I can wake up later and not have to start at 6am daily. Looking at places like Myrtle Beach, SC, rural Arkansas and Tennessee that are more conservative gun friendly states and lower taxes.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:30 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
Keep looking, your diligence will pay-off. Sometimes you just got to do it, and if it doesn't work out you can always move to Bako, or Fres, because you probably wouldn't be able to afford Sacramento anymore. Or Palmdale, I hear its cheap there.

Wow, the American River is even higher than Sunday, I walked across the Guy West pedestrian suspension bridge (the mini Golden Gate Bridge) at Sacramento State in the high wind; it was bouncing up and down, actually not that bad probably because the engineering students replaced the cables and such within the last 5 years.

There was a kayaker who went screaming down like the River like the Tasmania Devil, lol. Brave man.

Incidentally, does anyone know why they cut down "hundreds" of trees near the mini Golden Gate Bridge?
Some people are really pissed about this and they made a website about it, but the site has been disabled? and someone says, they are building a Salmon Habitat along there, but why the need to cut the trees down? hmmm?

Sacramento: 64F
Seattle: 48F
I believe this is part of an erosion control project. There is a concern that in a flood, the river bank in that area could erode so they are ripping out the trees so they can can access to the area to drop rocks to protect the banks. I would assume the roots from the trees on the river bank should protect the shore but the Army Corp of Engineers has other ideas. I believe the area you are talking about is American River Contract 3A.

https://www.spk.usace.army.mil/Missi...evee-Upgrades/

Old 03-15-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:

ROTFLMAO! Shame you did not capture that guy in the kayak on video would be entertaining. I look at places outside of California and can buy twice the home with nicer features like all brick construction. Probably will do that in future to pivot and leverage my Sacramento home into a nicer property back east. But need time to plan, visit and decide. I do plan some trips to Myrtle Beach and Nashville at some point.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Most people acclimate to the highs and lows of Northern California.

On the same token many loathe the heat of the lower half of California. A friend of mine used to pass out from the sustained above 100 degree days during summer. Compared to that the cool of NorCal is delightful to many.

Old 03-17-2023, 01:08 PM

Welps having lived and traveled across the country and internationally, southern California has best overall weather followed by places like Chile and Brazil and then south Florida in winter and Sacramento and Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento