Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 07:40 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I agree with this -- Bay Area news stations don't really focus on weather outside of their area, of which Sac is just barely outside. I'd imagine it's the same case in most places.

When talking to people in general here in the bay, Sac being too hot comes up fairly often but it's not really said in a mocking way, people are just stating it as their opinion.

I used to live in SF, and I have family and friends who live there. Bay area news stations report Sacramento weather forecasts, regularly, I least when I lived there they did, and recently while at my friends house in Santa Clara they gave the forecast for Sacramento.

Bay Area news will show the Sacramento/ "Central Valley" forecast, but the only time they actually "talk about" Sacramento weather is when we are having a heat wave which averages 7-12 days out of 365 days out of the year. Sacramento actually has a REAL summer like much of the rest of the USA.

Bay area news seem to ignore that Sacramento weather is near identical to the half of the East Bay and half of North Bay 12 months out of the year.

There is no other metro area in the USA that matches the East Bay and North Bay weather as closely as Sacramento accounting for the whole year, both high and low temps, rainfall amounts, and the amount of inclement weather. For example, Sacramento, Walnut Creek, Concord, Santa Rosa, Napa are all share the same climate with Sacramento.

Bay Area news also doesn't understand that the near 500 mile long Central Valley is not all the same. For example, the Sacramento Valley is in a DIFFERENT CLIMATE ZONE/CATEGORY than the San Joaquin Valley.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-08-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 PM

This past wet season is an good example of the difference between the Sacramento Valley and San Joaquin Valley climate zones.

Sacramento Valley - Redding: 42.43 inches of rain
San Joaquin Valley - Bakersfield: 7.80 inches of rain

The Central Valley is near 500 miles long; that's like going from:

Pittsburg, PA, in the north, 40.45 N latitude
to
Chattanooga, TN, in the south, 35.07 N latitude

Compare with:
Redding, CA, in the north, 40.58 N latitude - Sacramento Valley
to
Bakersfield, CA, in the south, 35.05 N latitude - San Joaquin Valley

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-08-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Chimerique, would you say that you hardly need to use the air conditioning during Sacramento summers?

I challenge you and everyone else here to try living through the next week without turning on the air conditioning for a single moment at their house. Only ceiling fans allowed.

Bonus points if you can live through the next week here without a single moment of turning on AC in your car.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:16 PM

122 posts, read 123,805 times
Another awful north wind day yesterday, with lingering dryness today. Sucked the moisture out of everything and blew leaves and dust all over the place. One 15 ft. branch came down! That north wind is Sacto's Achilles' Heel - get rid of that and things here would be decent.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Chimerique, would you say that you hardly need to use the air conditioning during Sacramento summers?

I challenge you and everyone else here to try living through the next week without turning on the air conditioning for a single moment at their house. Only ceiling fans allowed.

Bonus points if you can live through the next week here without a single moment of turning on AC in your car.

SMUD's new triple charge pm rates may give her incentive to avoid AC.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Between Sacramento's wonderfully cool evenings, nights, and morning and the use of a whole house you can dramatically reduce the usage of your A/C. But I would not live without A/C because you will need it from time to time.

I've already used mine twice in the last week or two, but only for 1 hour or two for total maybe 3 to 4hours thus far.

Jester, It's about how often you have to use it and if there are the times of the day or night when you do not need it, or you can live without it.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:40 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,005,605 times
What is this north wind? Is that the dry/hot wind that heats up Redding during the summer?
It can heat up sac, too?

It was windy out here in Fresno 2-3 days ago and it felt amazing. Our wind came from the bays(Monterey/SF) tho, not Reno/redding, so it was nice and chilly.

If you work late in sac, I bet you barely need AC. Sac isn't the city to be attacking over ac usage, me thinks

Old 06-09-2019, 11:12 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Last 100f day of 2018

Sacramento - August 18
Fresno - September 8
Riverside - September 27
Vegas - September 28
Phoenix - September 29

Old 06-09-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Last 100f day of 2018

Sacramento - August 18
Fresno - September 8
Riverside - September 27
Vegas - September 28
Phoenix - September 29
All those cities are much farther south. Also, typically Sacto gets to 100 in Sept, sometimes even in Oct.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post

It was windy out here in Fresno 2-3 days ago and it felt amazing. Our wind came from the bays(Monterey/SF) tho, not Reno/redding, so it was nice and chilly.
In the last 3 days Sacramento very comfortable cool winds and very comfortable almost temps. The cool winds came from the Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento