Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2019, 07:54 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,572,378 times

Advertisements

Hopefully it will be more dry next year than this wet year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaraptor View Post
As a weather enthusiast, I wish we had as much rain as you guys. Portland has been annoyingly dry since mid-spring 2017. This winter CA got constantly pounded with storms while we got nothing. And no, contrary to popular belief, Portland is not the land of constant rain. It’s about on par with Santa Rosa, Redding, and Auburn in terms of the amount that falls per year.

You guys were in a 5-year drought. It’s completely gone now. Enjoy your rain.
I've been hearing this about Portland! Nevertheless, the total rainfall amounts in the Northwest are misleading. Even Seattle doesn't get all that much, but both Portland and Seattle average approximately 166 days of rain per year, compared to 60 in Sacramento or about 70 in Santa Rosa. Even when I was up in Portland during the summer, part of the time was hot, and part of the time was raining. You enjoy *your* break from the usual! :-)

Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Lol, you know I'm loving this rainy season; it's still less wet and better than most of the rest of the country. The benefits it brings far outweigh a few minor inconveniences. Remember, the national average is 33 inches per year, and I've seen the average reported to be as high 38 inches per year.

Regarding Crescent City, Eureka and Santa Barbara. I'm comparing the wettest cities in NorCal and SoCal, not necessarily which city is more like NorCal or SoCal. Eureka is not the wettest city in NorCal, and actually Crescent City is well below average this season; whereas, Eureka is above average, and Santa Barbara is well above average. So this seasons comparison should be more palatable to you.
I know! Hard to believe that Crescent City is below average and still so much wetter than most of California, which is above average. I've never been to that part of the state, but from what I've seen, it seems like a different world. I think it would be fascinating to see it sometime.

I do agree with you that this rainy season, despite being annoyingly long, has been ideal in terms of rainfall distribution. We've had no flooding, the rain has been nicely spaced out, and the landscape is benefiting from it. We haven't watered our yard the entire month! And compared to years past, I've never seen trees and bushes so overgrown, lush, and dense with leaves. Most notably, the native California Oaks that had been fighting imported pests for the last 10 years and dying in large numbers have completely rebounded and are regaining their strength to fight off these diseases. It makes you realize how dry we were before.

The only downside is that it's almost June, and our pool is still cold. By now, with our solar heat and inland location, we should have been swimming for several weeks already. And despite the absolutely beautiful 72 degree sunshine today, we are expecting one final round of rain on Sunday and Monday before finally clearing out to a more stable and Mild summer pattern next week. I hope this is the end of the it so that we can finally kick off the outdoor season event. It's been feeling like winter, and here I am getting emails about patio furniture clearance. Patio sets are already on sale, and we haven't even gotten started yet!! Yikes! But as always, we'll be enjoying Indian summer in October while the rest of the country is gearing up for winter.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:56 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,015,937 times
Tomorrows Google predicted weather

Sac:63/51
Fresno 56/49
Houston 92/75
Augusta ga 99/75

The dirty south is roasting(has been roasting)
Count your lucky stars you're not there right now.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:24 AM

527 posts, read 1,324,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Perspective, sir, perspective. it's rainier just about everywhere else except the Southwest. Ya know, 3/4 of California has had the same rainy season as Sacramento has had. Oh, and the entire Northwest has had the same wet season except longer with more rain and more clouds. When its dry here, most of the rest of the country will be having summer rain and the thunderstorms while it is super humid and hot.

Read historical weather/climate data on Sacramento and then compare the historical weather data to the rest of the country, the south, southwest, midwest, east, northwest. We got it good, really good.

Did you just ignore the other 10 days or so of May when it was warm, sunny and rain free, while the Mississippi was flooding many parts of the midwest. This past year, October and April had by far more rainless days than rainy days.
I'm just getting restless for the summer. I've decided my angst has been due to the couple of dry years followed by relatively wetter years in the same timeframe I've been trying to enjoy the outdoors more. I appreciate your point about perspective, I'm still glad I don't live anywhere else. Oh, and this whole thing was compounded because I spent that week in Maui with perfect weather and then flew back into a storm in sacramento. And it's still raining as of May 26th.

Will this low pressure system be the last before it ends for the season?

Old 05-26-2019, 06:18 AM

6,911 posts, read 8,284,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
I'm just getting restless for the summer. I've decided my angst has been due to the couple of dry years followed by relatively wetter years in the same timeframe I've been trying to enjoy the outdoors more. I appreciate your point about perspective, I'm still glad I don't live anywhere else. Oh, and this whole thing was compounded because I spent that week in Maui with perfect weather and then flew back into a storm in sacramento. And it's still raining as of May 26th.

Will this low pressure system be the last before it ends for the season?
Ya know Uncle, Hawaii'i is in one of my favorite places on earth. Biased, I guess as my family is from da Big Island originally. I think Hawaii has the best weather of all the semi-tropical/tropical places. Clean air, warm, but rarely too hot, nor rarely nor too humid as tropical places go. Ya know, da kine, the trades, they moderate the humidity keeping da islands from getting bad like Florida and the Caribbean, or just about any other tropical place.

And you know, da kine occurs every day in Hawaii'i at least a little bit, even on the leeward sides of the islands. Aloha, Uncle.

*the use of Uncle shows a sign of respect, :-)

May 26, 5:15 am

Minneapolis 46F
Portland 49F
Sacramento 51F
Honolulu 76F

Old 05-27-2019, 07:01 AM

Hawaii sounds so appealing right about now. We're staying the morning at 49f in Scripps Ranch/San Diego after heavy rains last night. It's almost June! My parents are visiting family in the Deep South and reporting mid 90s, which feels like they're on a different planet. I've never seen anything like this in California this late in the season. It's bordering on insanity! But it looks like we may finally be done with it.

Silver lining: didn't have to water the garden even once this entire month! And everything is still green!
Downside: pool is still freezing.

What's really weird is that we haven't inaugurated the pool season yet, and we haven't put out the patio cushions yet, but I'm already getting emails about patio clearance sales. I feel like we're so far behind on summer! Especially compared to drought years, when it's warm in March or earlier, the contrast is so enormous. I'm really, really ready for summer.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,572,378 times
Yesterday was good movie weather!

Old 05-28-2019, 03:30 PM

400 posts, read 449,823 times
Come on folks, this even rain distribution will help out during the fire season!

I'll check back in August and people will be complaining over a heat wave in Sac or how they can't wait for winter.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:15 AM

527 posts, read 1,324,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Come on folks, this even rain distribution will help out during the fire season!

I'll check back in August and people will be complaining over a heat wave in Sac or how they can't wait for winter.
Not me, the summers are never long enough only 4 months out of the year we get this treat of hot, dry outdoor weather. I, am, ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento