Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 11:56 PM

122 posts, read 123,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I feel like the heat has been a lot more consistent this summer and the nights warmer. Usually the inland East Bay roller coasters between 80 to 105 highs all summer long with some chilly/windy evenings/nights mixed in there. But I feel like it's been pretty much 88-98 most of the summer and not cooling down as much; lots of lows in the 60's and going to bed when it's still in the 70's.
Agreed - it seems like we haven't had a day around 90 or below since the 4th - 3 weeks straight of hot.

Look, I don't think Sacto summer weather is bad, but it sure isn't "great." And this summer is definitely worse than last year, which I recall having some very hot spells but also some periods of 80's.

And, for the OP, you aren't converting me by comparisons to Texas (which almost everyone I've met whose lived there thinks has terrible weather - that's why Texans are so damn tough! ), or to the desert, like Vegas and Phoenix. Mix it up a bit! Maybe Flagstaff or Santa Fe or Denver or Salt Lake City - you know, places at least some people actually think have decent weather in the summer. Boise can be hot but it's usually better than Sacto, though windy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 12:04 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacdukeman View Post
Agreed - it seems like we haven't had a day around 90 or below since the 4th - 3 weeks straight of hot.

Look, I don't think Sacto summer weather is bad, but it sure isn't "great." And this summer is definitely worse than last year, which I recall having some very hot spells but also some periods of 80's.

And, for the OP, you aren't converting me by comparisons to Texas (which almost everyone I've met whose lived there thinks has terrible weather - that's why Texans are so damn tough! ), or to the desert, like Vegas and Phoenix. Mix it up a bit! Maybe Flagstaff or Santa Fe or Denver or Salt Lake City - you know, places at least some people actually think have decent weather in the summer. Boise can be hot but it's usually better than Sacto, though windy.
At 11:06 p.m, compare Sac to these places. Let's just take a look -

Sacramento - 81 degrees.

Death Valley - 95 degrees.

Mars - 457 degrees.

As you can see.....Sac...weather.....is......paradise.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:38 AM

527 posts, read 1,324,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
At 11:06 p.m, compare Sac to these places. Let's just take a look -

Sacramento - 81 degrees.

Death Valley - 95 degrees.

Mars - 457 degrees.

As you can see.....Sac...weather.....is......paradise.
I think what gets lost on everyone who makes this huge deal about the 100 degree days in Sacramento is how it's such a departure from the rest of the year that it's welcomed. We had cool weather from October 2017 to May 2018 that people want a reason to get out to the river, the pool, the water park, being outside on the patio at 9pm with the light breeze to cool off. It's such a great dynamic throughout the year. Yes, it's hot during the summer, yes I turn the AC on when I get home from work. In fact I prefer the summer months precisely because you get to spend so much more time outdoors who cares that you sweat a bit for a few months, it's a blessing.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:20 AM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
I think what gets lost on everyone who makes this huge deal about the 100 degree days in Sacramento is how it's such a departure from the rest of the year that it's welcomed. We had cool weather from October 2017 to May 2018 that people want a reason to get out to the river, the pool, the water park, being outside on the patio at 9pm with the light breeze to cool off. It's such a great dynamic throughout the year. Yes, it's hot during the summer, yes I turn the AC on when I get home from work. In fact I prefer the summer months precisely because you get to spend so much more time outdoors who cares that you sweat a bit for a few months, it's a blessing.
Good point. And June was quite comfortable as well. How soon we forget.

JUNE 2018 - SACRAMENTO

HIGH TEMPS: Number of Days:

70's = 2 days
80's = 13 days (heat index = 14)

90's = 12 days (heat index = 14)

Heat index 100F or more = ZERO Days
(3 days of actual temp at 100 or more)

LOW TEMPS: Number of Days

60's = 7 days
50's = 23 days

*Heat Index - Because of Sac's very comfortable dew points, actual temps in the triple digits usually give a heat index of 2 to 3 degrees LESS than actual temp.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeopardyd View Post
Walnut Creek and Sacramento are not really comparable,
Walnut Creek summer weather is a lot more like Sacramento than it is SF or Oakland, thats for sure.

JUNE 2018 - WALNUT CREEK - The Bay Area

60's = 1 day
70's = 10 days
80's = 11 days
90's = 6 days (heat index = 14)

(2 days of actual temp at 100 or more)

LOW TEMPS: Number of Days:

60's = 3 days
50's = 25 days
40's = 2 days

Sacramento's June temps are posted just above and near identical to Walnut Creek as is our weather is near identical to this Bay Area location ALL YEAR LONG.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:37 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,603 times
Quote:
I agree. It really doesn't bother me at all and at times I actually like it. For me, it's actually kind of woven into the spirit and character of the city.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I agree. It really doesn't bother me at all and at times I actually like it. For me, it's actually kind of woven into the spirit and character of the city.
Very well stated.

It only irritates me when our dramatic cool downs are less intense (in temp), and don't last as long within that 24 hour period. It still may have reach 100+ on any particular day, but as long as we have our dramatic cool down I enjoy it.

In fact, if we reached only 89F for a high but the Delta Breeze was completely absent and it didn't cool down quickly and the low stayed in the 70's(which like never happens), and the dew point was abnormally high than I complain.... but I realize, "oh this how rest of the USA experiences summer." glad we don't.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:35 PM

122 posts, read 123,991 times
Quote:
You could say the same thing about many cities in the U.S. - that it's not hot from Oct to May. That doesn't make our weather "great" in any relative sense. Plus, our early Octobers are hotter than many places - 85 to 90 is not my idea of autumn.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:10 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,019,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Walnut Creek summer weather is a lot more like Sacramento than it is SF or Oakland, thats for sure.

JUNE 2018 - WALNUT CREEK - The Bay Area

60's = 1 day
70's = 10 days
80's = 11 days
90's = 6 days (heat index = 14)

(2 days of actual temp at 100 or more)

LOW TEMPS: Number of Days:

60's = 3 days
50's = 25 days
40's = 2 days

Sacramento's June temps are posted just above and near identical to Walnut Creek as is our weather is near identical to this Bay Area location ALL YEAR LONG.
Walnut creek gets nice winds pretty much every summer night tho, sac doesnt.
Walnut creek is a solid half a grade higher than sac because of the wind.
The devil is in the details.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 07-28-2018 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 03:14 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,019,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacdukeman View Post
You could say the same thing about many cities in the U.S. - that it's not hot from Oct to May. That doesn't make our weather "great" in any relative sense. Plus, our early Octobers are hotter than many places - 85 to 90 is not my idea of autumn.
85 in october cools off much quicker than 85 in june. i dont mind warm autumn days, and ill gladly take them over cold autumn days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento