Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,470 times

Advertisements

Driving through there on Friday...Roseville high of 107!? I realize that's pretty abnormal, but geesh, helluva a place to stop for gas and a Jamba Juice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 12:46 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Ya, we are in the dog days of summer, it's the hottest month of the year and we are going to have hot days like just about everywhere else in the country.

July 25, 2018, 11:30 at night.

Phoenix - 99F
Orlando - 86F
San Antonio - 84F

Bakersfield - 90F

Fresno - 80F
Portland - 80F - Much of the SF Bay Area is consistently Cooler than the entire country...including the Pacific Northwest in the summer.
San Diego-Scripps Ranch - 68F, 88%, 65 DP

Sacramento - 76F
Walnut Creek - 68F
Denver - 61F feels like temp
Emeryville - 56F feels like temp - Much of the SF Bay Area is consistently Cooler than the entire country...including the Pacific Northwest in the summer.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:20 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Ya, we are in the dog days of summer, it's the hottest month of the year and we are going to have hot days like just about everywhere else in the country.

July 25, 2018, 11:30 at night.

Phoenix - 99F
Orlando - 86F
San Antonio - 84F

Bakersfield - 90F

Fresno - 80F
Portland - 80F - Much of the SF Bay Area is consistently Cooler than the entire country...including the Pacific Northwest in the summer.
San Diego-Scripps Ranch - 68F, 88%, 65 DP

Sacramento - 76F
Walnut Creek - 68F
Denver - 61F feels like temp
Emeryville - 56F feels like temp - Much of the SF Bay Area is consistently Cooler than the entire country...including the Pacific Northwest in the summer.
Sacramento is the winner last night! Portland is impressive, but to be fair, they are not birthday warmer than the Central Valley, averaging only 81 at the peak of summer. This is a major Heatwave for them. But SF never gets prolonged heat like that, as Portland is not on the coast.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:41 AM

63 posts, read 54,081 times
Walnut Creek and Sacramento are not really comparable,

Today's High / Low according to Weather.com

Walnut Creek 90 / 58 Current 74
Sacramento 104 / 64 Current:79

Brentwood is more like Sac

Old 07-26-2018, 01:14 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeopardyd View Post
Walnut Creek and Sacramento are not really comparable,

Today's High / Low according to Weather.com

Walnut Creek 90 / 58 Current 74
Sacramento 104 / 64 Current:79

Brentwood is more like Sac
They are fairly close, but you are correct that Brentwood is more comparable. Typically, Walnut Creek is within four or five degrees of Sacramento. Today is a transitional day where We are starting to see some Cooling, and that takes effect a little sooner closer to the bay, so there is a lot more difference than usual. During heat waves, they will be quite similar though, and the overall weather pattern is nearly identical. I actually think Walnut Creek, especially eastern Walnut Creek, is in the sweet spot where neither Coastal fog not tule fog reaches it very often. What cities are considered to be in the same Horticultural climate zones for growing things, however.

Looking at the noon temperature, I do see that Walnut Creek and Midtown Sacramento have identical temperatures, both hovering around 90.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Next 7 days at or near 100. THERE IS LITERALLY NO END IN SIGHT.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:45 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
It was friggin Hot today and yesterday. I've been waiting for this all year, sort of. It's the dead of summer, and we know we are going to have some sort of steady high heat, well here it is. Luckily we've been slowly building up to it, so we do have a higher tolerance for it.

July 25, 2018: The high was 105F, heat index was 103F.

Here's the thing, of course it felt hot because the heat index was 103F, but on further analysis it wasn't so much that it reached 103 but that it got hotter sooner than normal and it stayed hotter longer than normal.

This is the first day this year where our dramatic cool down didn't happen until well after 11pm. At 10:00pm it was still 82F, we were outside in the front yard in disbelieve how warm it still was. But by 11:00 it finally cooled to 74F.

Sac still managed to drop to 63F just before dawn, but it wasn't in the 60's for very long last night nor this morning. I really noticed the difference and so did my A/C as it stayed on the longest it has all year long.

Leaving the A/C thermostat at 78F didn't cut it, and we found ourselves lowering it to 75, and even 72F at one point last night.

But, still yet, in one of our worst heat days of the year it still was cool and comfortable between 6am and until 10am as it was in the 60's and 70's. But unlike, all the days before today; it felt uncomfortable by 11:30 am.

Not all of our 100+ degree days are uncomfortable.

Sac can have days where it hits 100F but it still can be relatively comfortable for much of the day and night and other days like today and yesterday where the temp hits just a few degrees hotter but it stayed hotter longer and the cooler temps came much later and didn't last very long.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:03 AM

572 posts, read 599,352 times
If you are a swimmer in Sacramento you can usually tell how uncomfortable the heat has been based on how warm the pool is. Most of the time you get enough cool hours in the evenings, nights and mornings so that the pool loses some of the heat it's built up through the hot days. But with hot days with longer warm hours the pools retain the heat and it makes it unbearable for a swim workout. The outdoor pools feel like a bathtub right now.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I feel like the heat has been a lot more consistent this summer and the nights warmer. Usually the inland East Bay roller coasters between 80 to 105 highs all summer long with some chilly/windy evenings/nights mixed in there. But I feel like it's been pretty much 88-98 most of the summer and not cooling down as much; lots of lows in the 60's and going to bed when it's still in the 70's.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
My theory is that the more active you are, the better your body deals with the stress of the heat. The body is naturally overheated during intense workouts, so it learns to regulate the stress related hormones that are released during exercise and becomes more efficient at cooling itself down. It also learns to complete physical activities much more efficiently. I strongly believe that my consistent workouts are the main reasons that I adapted to the heat here. It does not bother me at all.

I don't think this weather is ideal for most people though. We also have terrible air quality here due to fact that Sac sits in a valley and is engulfed in a large number of trees and foliage which are not indigenous to the area. There seems to be a growing number of forest fires close to the area. When it's tough to breath, your body is going to be working that much harder just to complete normal activities outside. So, you have to factor that in as well.

If you're an Iguana though, this is probably heaven. Maybe Chim is part Iguana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento