Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 01:52 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Um, c'mon Chim, you know that Pasadena isn't always, or even often, in the 90s in January. That's ridiculous! The average temps in Pasadena in January are 68/46. Nothing to complain about, but 90s are definitely not the norm for New Year's Day. In fact, the record for the month is 93, and you can't count on records every year... 90s in winter is rather rare but not totally unheard of. This year, it was 73 and the previous year, 58. (In fact, 2017 had nine days in January in the 50s and only four in the 70s. 2018 was hotter). Looks like Pasadena averages and records are about nine degrees warmer than Santa Rosa, which averages 59/38 and has a January record of 85. Which is the typical difference between NorCal and SoCal.

Interesting fact I just learned: Pasadena averages nearly twenty inches of rain per year due to the nearby mountains, which is high for urban So Cal.

So regarding Fourth of July, I remember as a kid in the 80s in Walnut Creek, it was often furnace hot. Perhaps recent years have been different. Since the averages are still the same, I'd guess that it varies from year to year or decade to decade. It must be hot some years to sustain the average...
90s in Pasadena in January is rare but not unheard of.. about as common as below freezing temperatures. Temperatures also tend to vary widely in the winter there. 80s are a lot more common but it can be 82 one day then dip to 38 or 39 in the next day or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 06:55 PM

3,475 posts, read 5,268,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
90s in Pasadena in January is rare but not unheard of.. about as common as below freezing temperatures. Temperatures also tend to vary widely in the winter there. 80s are a lot more common but it can be 82 one day then dip to 38 or 39 in the next day or two.
Indeed, low 80s are not that uncommon even though the average is 68. A day of 54 or 55 would balance that out in the long term averages.

Interesting day today with the intense SoCal heatwave and relative humidities across the state:
5:45 PM:

Lindbergh Field, San Diego: 86f with 42 percent humidity. That can't feel good.
Oakland: 78f with 44 percent humidity. Feels muggy out there, and unusual to have higher humidity than San Diego.
Emeryville: 76f with 46 percent humidity.
Sacramento: 92f with 23 percent humidity
Walnut Creek: 90f with 23 percent humidity
Scripps Ranch, San Diego (my hood, although I'm in the East Bay today): 102f with 17 percent humidity. Different part of the same city. That's actually lower than Sacramento's humidity.

Interesting to see (a) that NorCal's coast and bay does get some humidity when temps are warm, and (b) even though SoCal coast can get humid in summer, SoCal's inland can remain exceptionally dry, which I find much more pleasant.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:41 PM

6,910 posts, read 8,284,998 times
hey tstieber, I lived in LA 5 years and New Years Day was often very warm clear and sunny, offshore condition, not quite a "Santa Ana" but usually "offshore" conditions. Its the usually thing, but you are more then welcome to look at 30 year averages on New Years Day for Pasadena. I'd bet half of the last 30 years it was 75-90F on New Years Day in Pasadena. It's just one of those those despite whatever the average temp is in January

In Sac, you can count on July 4 being very comfortable and cool especially in the evening despite whatever the average temp is in July.

7:30pm July 6

Phoenix - 108F, 15%

LA - 104F, 15%

Scripps Ranch, San Diego - 89F, 32%

Sacramento - 89F, 27%

Walnut Creek - 85F, 34%

San Diego - 74F, 72%

Oakland - 72F, 55%

Old 07-07-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
hey tstieber, I lived in LA 5 years and New Years Day was often very warm clear and sunny, offshore condition, not quite a "Santa Ana" but usually "offshore" conditions. Its the usually thing, but you are more then welcome to look at 30 year averages on New Years Day for Pasadena. I'd bet half of the last 30 years it was 75-90F on New Years Day in Pasadena. It's just one of those those despite whatever the average temp is in January

In Sac, you can count on July 4 being very comfortable and cool especially in the evening despite whatever the average temp is in July.

7:30pm July 6

Phoenix - 108F, 15%

LA - 104F, 15%

Scripps Ranch, San Diego - 89F, 32%

Sacramento - 89F, 27%

Walnut Creek - 85F, 34%

San Diego - 74F, 72%

Oakland - 72F, 55%
Nice temps last night! Walked around Piedmont in a t shirt at 9 pm.

Just saying that averages reflect actual historical data, so it's impossible to always have much warmer than average temperatures or the average would be different for that date. But within a five year time span, it's totally possible to have a stretch like that. And with an average high of 68, breaking 70 seems like it could happen easily, just not 90f...

Old 07-07-2018, 07:18 PM

2,932 posts, read 2,015,937 times
How are you liking the lower dew points, chim?
35 really does feel better than 55
Enjoy that crisp air while you can. A monsoon might be coming to end the fun.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Just saying that averages reflect actual historical data, so it's impossible to always have much warmer than average temperatures or the average would be different for that date. But within a five year time span, it's totally possible to have a stretch like that. And with an average high of 68, breaking 70 seems like it could happen easily, just not 90f...
But we are talking about 1 day only, Jan 1, not the average for the month. It's entirely possible that one day out of the month does not fit the monthly average. The only way to know, is look at Jan 1st ,every Jan 1st for the last 30-60 yrs or more in Pasadena, Ca and see what the average is for that day only.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
But we are talking about 1 day only, Jan 1, not the average for the month. It's entirely possible that one day out of the month does not fit the monthly average. The only way to know, is look at Jan 1st ,every Jan 1st for the last 30-60 yrs or more in Pasadena, Ca and see what the average is for that day only.
Yes, I agree in principle with that approach. I'll see if I can find that data. But it's highly, highly unlikely that Jan 1st should be any different than any other day around then.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree in principle with that approach. I'll see if I can find that data. But it's highly, highly unlikely that Jan 1st should be any different than any other day around then.
It's just one of those things: the Rose Parade and the football game: how often does it involve rain in the high 80's reaching 90F. I bet it would surprise you how often Jan 1 in Pasadena, Ca is is a clear, warm sunny day, in the middle of winter.

Same thing with Sacramento's July 4th it would surprise how often it is a lot cooler than you would think in the middle of Summer, downright "chilly" in the night and evening, 50's.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It's just one of those things: the Rose Parade and the football game: how often does it involve rain in the high 80's reaching 90F. I bet it would surprise you how often Jan 1 in Pasadena, Ca is is a clear, warm sunny day, in the middle of winter.

Same thing with Sacramento's July 4th it would surprise how often it is a lot cooler than you would think in the middle of Summer, downright "chilly" in the night and evening, 50's.
I will see if I can find out. We'll probably both be a little surprised.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:46 PM

330 posts, read 432,747 times
Sacramento isn't cool in the Summer.... ever. The overnight lows mean nothing, I'm in bed by 11pm. The temperature at 5am means nothing to most people. It's like the whole "Sacramento is cold and wet in Winter" BS. No it isn't. Unless you were raised in Arizona or the Sahara. People have lost all sense of perspective.

Sacramento:

Winter - Mild, Sunny and Mostly Dry
Spring - Warm, Sunny and Dry
Summer - Hot, Sunny and Dry
Fall - Warm, Sunny and Dry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento