Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 11:26 PM

122 posts, read 123,805 times

Advertisements

Another annoying north wind day - hopefully that's over.

Too dry isn't better than too humid - they're just bad in different ways. So, for example, it's easier to sleep in Sacto on most summer evenings because it gets cooler at night than back East, but it's much harder to grow flowers, grass, etc., because the dry air sucks the moisture out of everything. Without constant irrigation, everything around here would be dead in a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 12:25 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacdukeman View Post
Another annoying north wind day - hopefully that's over.

Too dry isn't better than too humid - they're just bad in different ways. So, for example, it's easier to sleep in Sacto on most summer evenings because it gets cooler at night than back East, but it's much harder to grow flowers, grass, etc., because the dry air sucks the moisture out of everything. Without constant irrigation, everything around here would be dead in a week.
I will admit cooler nights and be able to open the windows overnight is a big plus. I did crank up the AC and close up everything when I went to sleep in Hawaii and when I lived in SoCal those 70 degree + humid nights were hard to sleep with because I never had AC. Still I'd take AC/window unit at night in exchange for the warm humid weather over the 30+ degree difference here.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:55 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Disagree! Just came back from a week on the Big Island of Hawaii and the warmth/heat with the humidity is so much nicer there than the 90+ dry heat here. Granted there are consistent trade winds but mid to upper 80’s and humid (68-71 dew point) is so much nicer than the dry heat we see in inland NorCal. Feels better on the skin and less desert’y/dry/dead. Dry heat is really overrated imo. I miss those warm humid days in the 70’s/80’s and nights in the 70’s in coastal SoCal. Nice warm nights here only come with dry scorching 100 degree days. It’s like you have to sacrifice one for the other; either mild days and cold nights or hot dry days for warm comfy nights.

Plus the constant roller coaster of mild to hot for inland NorCal with constant sun during summer gets annoying imo.
Hawaiian weather is special because of the TRADE WINDS. Those TRADE WINDS make all the difference in the world, and those Hawaiian Trade Winds blow like 95% of the time when the temps and dew point get a bit too uncomfortable. Without those Trade Winds Hawaii would feel a lot more like Florida in the summer.

Have I mentioned before that my parents were born and raised on the BIG ISLAND. I've being going to Oahu, Hawaii, and Maui my whole life and recently to Kauai. The Hawaiian Islands have the best weather in the world BECAUSE OF THOSE TRADE WINDS. We have a family home on the Big Island that all my relatives in NorCal share for vacations.

I've said this numerous times before, the devil is in the details regarding weather and micro-climates, and Hawaiian weather is unique because of the TRADE WINDS.

85-95F in inland NorCal is just fine with 20% or lower humidity and dew points below 60. I love our cool mornings and when it does gets too toasty, it doesn't last long, and before you know it the temp as lowered down to 85F - 70 range, AND CONSISTELNTLY drops to the mid to upper 50's.

So far, in June, Sacramento has had only 4 days that have deviated from these averages of High of 88F and Low of 59F.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-01-2018 at 01:04 AM..

Old 07-01-2018, 02:23 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hawaiian weather is special because of the TRADE WINDS. Those TRADE WINDS make all the difference in the world, and those Hawaiian Trade Winds blow like 95% of the time when the temps and dew point get a bit too uncomfortable. Without those Trade Winds Hawaii would feel a lot more like Florida in the summer.

Have I mentioned before that my parents were born and raised on the BIG ISLAND. I've being going to Oahu, Hawaii, and Maui my whole life and recently to Kauai. The Hawaiian Islands have the best weather in the world BECAUSE OF THOSE TRADE WINDS. We have a family home on the Big Island that all my relatives in NorCal share for vacations.

I've said this numerous times before, the devil is in the details regarding weather and micro-climates, and Hawaiian weather is unique because of the TRADE WINDS.

85-95F in inland NorCal is just fine with 20% or lower humidity and dew points below 60. I love our cool mornings and when it does gets too toasty, it doesn't last long, and before you know it the temp as lowered down to 85F - 70 range, AND CONSISTELNTLY drops to the mid to upper 50's.

So far, in June, Sacramento has had only 4 days that have deviated from these averages of High of 88F and Low of 59F.
Not really, dewpoints are still way higher (75+) in FL along with the temps (90+). Hawaii's temps and dewpoints are still lower/milder than Florida (80-86 degree temps and upper 60 dewpoints). The water is slightly cooler too, mid 80's vs upper 80's/low 90's.

I've been going to Oahu/BI my whole life since age 5. All my mom's side of the family outside her immediate family is from and still lives there, mainly Oahu. My grandma was the only one to leave the islands, she grew up on the BI (my great grandma was born and raised there) and later Oahu. I was told my grandma grew up near Ka Lae (South Point) and I remember visiting family in Pepeekeo and Hilo when I we would visit the Big Island growing up. My dad has a condo there (Kona) in addition so I've been quite a lot. Where is your family from out of curiosity? My family roots on that side there are mostly Filipino, not gonna lie just assumed you were white but damn if you got some Big Island native parents then probably not lol.

Because we had a big family get together this time we all had condos in Waikoloa this time and I realized how much sunnier that area is compared to Kailua-Kona town where I've normally stayed before.

Admittedly it's not a fair comparison, even if you don't like the Kona heat you can just go up in elevation and get away from it. But coastal SoCal can give you a taste if need be lol.

Last edited by sav858; 07-01-2018 at 02:38 AM..

Old 07-01-2018, 09:55 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Disagree! Just came back from a week on the Big Island of Hawaii and the warmth/heat with the humidity is so much nicer there than the 90+ dry heat here. Granted there are consistent trade winds but mid to upper 80’s and humid (68-71 dew point) is so much nicer than the dry heat we see in inland NorCal. Feels better on the skin and less desert’y/dry/dead. Dry heat is really overrated imo. I miss those warm humid days in the 70’s/80’s and nights in the 70’s in coastal SoCal. Nice warm nights here only come with dry scorching 100 degree days. It’s like you have to sacrifice one for the other; either mild days and cold nights or hot dry days for warm comfy nights.

Plus the constant roller coaster of mild to hot for inland NorCal with constant sun during summer gets annoying imo.
I wish SoCal had more nights in the 70s. At least in my inland SD neighborhood, it looks like next weekend will see the first 70f lows of the year, and the year is half over already. In Hawaii, those temps are nearly year round.

On last night's Sacramento news, it showed 75f at 11:15 PM, which is really nice and something I almost never experience in inland SD, but... it was triple digits in Sac during the day. Tradeoffs...

Chim, how come you never post temp comparisons during hot spells but always during cool spells? I'm sure we'll be seeing your reports again by .Wednesday when it's down to 85 and not next weekend when it's back near 100f...

Old 07-01-2018, 03:20 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Dry heat is awesome once you hit 90f or higher temps
Below 90f it doesn't matter as much.

Out here in fresno, June was mostly in the 30-45f dew point range(sac was mostly in the low 50f range in june)
Now it's hitting mid 50f in fresno and it feels noticeably worse.
You can be outdoors during peak heat when you have a low dew point. It feels great, especially in the shade! 55f and hIgher dewpoints, it feels like you re wearing a sweater even tho you just have a t-shirt on.
I'm praying we get back down to sub 50f dew points, I miss it already.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I wish SoCal had more nights in the 70s. At least in my inland SD neighborhood, it looks like next weekend will see the first 70f lows of the year, and the year is half over already. In Hawaii, those temps are nearly year round.

On last night's Sacramento news, it showed 75f at 11:15 PM, which is really nice and something I almost never experience in inland SD, but... it was triple digits in Sac during the day. Tradeoffs...

Chim, how come you never post temp comparisons during hot spells but always during cool spells? I'm sure we'll be seeing your reports again by .Wednesday when it's down to 85 and not next weekend when it's back near 100f...
Because I know one of you will do it for me. Actually, I do. Read Carefully,

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-02-2018 at 01:45 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post

Out here in fresno, June was mostly in the 30-45f dew point range(sac was mostly in the low 50f range in june)
You can be outdoors during peak heat when you have a low dew point. It feels great, especially in the shade! 55f and hIgher dewpoints, it feels like you re wearing a sweater even tho you just have a t-shirt on.

DEW POINT COMFORT LEVELS

Less than 55 - Pleasant - Sacramento
55-60 - Comfortable
61-65 - Sticky
66-70 - Uncomfortable
71-75 - Oppressive
76+ Miserable

Old 07-02-2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Not really, dewpoints are still way higher (75+) in FL along with the temps (90+). Hawaii's temps and dewpoints are still lower/milder than Florida (80-86 degree temps and upper 60 dewpoints). The water is slightly cooler too, mid 80's vs upper 80's/low 90's.

I've been going to Oahu/BI my whole life since age 5.
Yes, you are right about Hawaiian dew points and temps being more comfortable than Florida, but you already know that Hawaii can get uncomfortable quickly when those trade winds don't blow - which almost never happens because those winds blow enough and often enough so it rarely feels uncomfortable.

I've been going to the Islands since age 5 as well! Yeah, I'm 5/8 white-Portugues-the other white meat on da BI, lol; 1/8 Hawaiian , 1/8 Filipino, 1/8 Chinese.

For several years when I was a kid I'd spend almost the whole summer on the Islands and when I came back I'd be speaking da Pigeon English which my mom hated.....yet she never lost her Hawaiian accent.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-02-2018 at 02:27 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 07:16 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I lived in the area from 2005- 2007

I remember there being 110+ temps AND 70+ dewpoints in the summer of 2006, something I've never experienced even in Texas.

But overall, I definitely prefer the typical weather here over the humid heat of the Southeast, the bone dry heat of the Southwest, or the constant 60-something temps in SF.

And it rarely snows in the winter, another plus. Although I did remember very light sleet falling late at night once or twice.

Quote:

We hit 110+ quite a few times last month in West Texas and the extreme heat was barely noticible with the dewpoints in the 20s through 40s. I don't really notice the humidity until the DP reaches about the mid 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento