Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 12:22 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Question: Sacramento is incredibly sunny. More annual sunshine than even most places in Southern California.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ne-by-city.php

Let's compare: Using this month June. The Cali Coast is known to experience "June Gloom" which is good for Sacramento because when the NorCal Coast near SF is cool, cloudy, windy with a heavy "Marine Layer" it keeps Sacramento cool and comfortable despite all our Sunshine.

Percent Sunshine - JUNE

Yes Sacramento is a lot sunnier than the SoCal coast

Sacramento - 94% sunshine - Current feels like temp 60F

Los Angeles - 65% sunshine - Current temp - 62F

San Diego - 58% sunshine - Current temp - 63F

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-06-2018 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 12:26 AM

Percent Sunshine - JUNE

Same Sunshine as Phoenix, but its 32 degrees COOLER IN Sacramento and 28 degrees COOLER than Las Vegas.

Phoenix - 94% sunshine- Current temp - 92F

Las Vegas - 93% sunshine - Current temp -87F

Old 06-06-2018, 12:46 AM

Percent Sunshine - JUNE

Let's compare Sacramento with those cool hip trendy cites.

Denver - 70% sunshine - Current temp 75F - That Cold Pacific Air makes Sacramento 15 degrees Cooler than Denver. I thought Colorado had 300 days of sunshine.

Austin - 69% sunshine - Current heat index 90F - OMG Austin it's 30 degrees HOTTER than Sac.

Miami - 68% sunshine - Current heat index 89F - Wow Sac is 29 degrees Cooler than Miami.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

This is a really good site as it gives you sunshine percentages for many cities. Annual sunshine and by each month.

December, January and February are Sacramento's most rainiest, most cloudiest months of the year, and thankfully NorCal gets a good amount of rain and snow so we can support the entire state with water. SoCal would shrivel-up and die if NorCal didn't send them water.

February Sunshine:

Los Angeles 72%
San Diego 71%
Sacramento 65%

Austin 51%
Portland 38%
What's interesting is that in Sacramento, winter is the least sunny and summer is the most sunny, whereas in San Diego, sunshine probabilities drop down to around 58% to 59% in May and June, which are the cloudiest months of the year. So the seasonal variation is almost flip flopped between northern and southern California. This pattern is reflective of the fact that Sacramento has a true Mediterranean climate with a winter rainy season, whereas Southern California is considered semi arid, meaning that some years, it does have a good rainy season, but other years it doesn't.

And as you said, we need those clouds in Northern California during the winter so that our state's big reservoirs receive the runoff and snow melt to supply our state with water. Don't forget that our cities in Northern California are also dependent on this Reservoir water because the long, hot, sunny, dry summer season sucks the moisture right out of the soil, and there is no rainfall to replenish it. Anywhere you have a long dry season, you need to store water supplies from the rainy season to get you through the dry months.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Percent Sunshine - JUNE

Let's compare Sacramento with those cool hip trendy cites.

Denver - 70% sunshine - Current temp 75F - That Cold Pacific Air makes Sacramento 15 degrees Cooler than Denver. I thought Colorado had 300 days of sunshine.

Austin - 69% sunshine - Current heat index 90F - OMG Austin it's 30 degrees HOTTER than Sac.

Miami - 68% sunshine - Current heat index 89F - Wow Sac is 29 degrees Cooler than Miami.
I've heard the same thing about Denver. You always hear that statistic, but I'm now known several people that lived in Denver during different years come and they all saud it's way cloudier than California. I wonder how they achieve that statistic....

We are lucky to have a cool May and June so far, but of course keep in mind that temperatures in Sacramento have been well below average. But even if they were average, it would still be infinitely more pleasant than any of those steamy places you mentioned.

This year has been so strange that it's actually been much hotter in Scandinavia in May than anywhere in California outside of the desert.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:

Let's compare: Using this month June. The Cali Coast is known to experience "June Gloom" which is good for Sacramento because when the NorCal Coast near SF is cool, cloudy, windy with a heavy "Marine Layer" it keeps Sacramento cool and comfortable despite all our Sunshine.

Percent Sunshine - JUNE

Yes Sacramento is a lot sunnier than the SoCal coast

Los Angeles - 65% sunshine - Current temp - 62F

San Diego - 58% sunshine - Current temp - 63F
But my question was about how cloudy it gets in winter.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:58 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Pretty cloudy/overcast/foggy

Dec and Jan only receive 48% of possible sunshine which is less than places like SF, Boston, etc..

Old 06-06-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
See my post on previous page.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:40 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
See my post on previous page.
So yes, February is not too bad, but January and December get much less sunshine.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
So yes, February is not too bad, but January and December get much less sunshine.
Exactly, but it depends on the year. It's not always average. Better some years, worse others. At least it's much milder than Boston, for example.

I do believe the sunshine probability would be higher towards Redding and also into the Sierra Foothills, above the tule fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento