Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 PM

190 posts, read 299,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Yes those are some nice wealthy areas for sure. I won't argue with you on that. If you can afford to live in Malibu or Marina Del Rey you probably aren't considering a move to Sacramento. Coastal southern California has some of the most pleasant weather on the planet. And some of the most expensive real estate in America.

I would say there's plenty of a ghetto/trashy element that you'll find in Santa Monica, Venice beach, West Hollywood area. Maybe not all living in the neighborhoods - but certainly hanging out.

Anyhoo - don't want to hijack this weather thread too much. I'm loving the weather in Sacramento. We've had some crisp, beautiful clear days at the end of December and now most importantly we are getting a good run of steady rain in the valley and good snowfall in the Sierra. Awesome.
There are a lot of professional people that can only afford to rent a small apartment, or 2 bedroom with a roommate, in many nice parts of LA, while enjoying the cultural and recreational diversity that this region has to offer. But if you want to have a slower-paced lifestyle, and be able to afford a house, then Sacramento is not a bad option. And getting back to the thread, the weather around Sacto isn't too bad either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
The ghetto culture in LA may be 50 times bigger than in Sacramento, but the beautiful and sophisticated regions of LA & Orange County are also 200 times bigger than those of Sacramento.
LA and Orange Counties -- that is pretty large area. I personally think Sac-Bay Area compares quite well except in one area: warmer larger beaches and beach culture, and the Sac-Bay Area has a few things that LA/Orange doesn't have like an easier lifestyle because we have half the population. We also have easier access to nature and nature that doesn't include a ton of people - the Gold Country and Napa Valley, and Redwood forests, Rivers, and Nor-Cal style beaches, nothing quite like that in Southern Cal.

Quote:
I visit Sacto every year, and have considered moving there as an affordable place to retire. I agree with you about the weather-- it's better in Sacramento than most parts of the country. And yes, Sacto does have it's own unique charm and some pretty cool pubs to hang out in. For me the problem is that the ghetto and suburban culture seem to be more visible and prevalent in Sacramento overall than in the West Coast cities which you compare temperatures. It's fine if that's how you like it, but not everyone is ok with that.
I would agree only if you are comparing Sacramento on the whole with the better parts of LA and Orange county which include the beach cities and West and Central LA. But if you live in either the San Fernando or San Gabriel Valleys, East LA, then, NO, I don't agree. Likewise, the Inland Empire(San Berdo-Riverside) and Anaheim-Santa Ana feels more Ghetto and Suburban to me than Sacramento.

I really think Sacramento compares well with the Pasadena-Glendale-Burbank area with Sacramento being a bit more interesting with a more desirable center city.

Quote:
Being the Capital city of the largest state in the country, Sacramento is going to have some level of sophistication and cultural amenities, but just not in the same league or diversity (if i have to explain it you wouldn't understand). There is also a certain amount of "brain drain" in places like Sacramento because of the competition from places like San Diego, LA, Bay Area, Portland, and Seattle. I came to California as an "educated hick" from Michigan, so i know all about the charms of that lifestyle. If you don't want to live among lots of hipsters and high home prices, then Sacramento would be a good option. So -- i am just adding another dimension to your weather thread, and taking it to the next level by weighing weather, culture and demographics. Hope you don't mind.
Sacramento has plenty o'l young hipsters, not on the level of Portland or Austin, but a hell of a lot more than Fresno or Anaheim. I think we have just the right amount. :-) I plenty understand the level of sophistication and cultural amenities of LA, I used to live in some of the best parts of LA(Little Santa Monica Canyon, Weho, Los Feliz, Hancock Park, North Hollywood(the good part),and I attended UCLA. It's what I miss the most about LA and the beach and beach cities. But if you left LA for say Portland or Austin you would not be able to match those attributes either.

Your dollar goes much further in Sac than LA, and Sac has a higher Educational Attainment than LA.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
.....has a higher Educational Attainment than LA.
I can agree with most of what you say except: Sac has a higher Educational Attainment than LA.

How do you figure? You do know that Sacramento is a distinct area from the Bay Area, don't you? So you can't count Stanford and Silicon valley in your comparison.

LA is no slouch when it comes to higher education. When you have such a large population, you also have a lot of teachers, doctors, engineers, lawyers, social workers, accountants, etc. with certain levels of educational attainment, which is what you'd expect given the high cost of living in L.A. There are also some pre-eminent institutions that tend to get the most highly educated people anywhere, like UCLA and Cedars Sinai Medical Centers, Cal Tech and JPL, etc. Also, Silicon Beach is a host to a lot of high tech firms and "the region is considered the second- or third-largest tech hub in the world, according to various reports.[1][2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Beach

Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I can agree with most of what you say except: Sac has a higher Educational Attainment than LA.

How do you figure? You do know that Sacramento is a distinct area from the Bay Area, don't you? So you can't count Stanford and Silicon valley in your comparison.

LA is no slouch when it comes to higher education. When you have such a large population, you also have a lot of teachers, doctors, engineers, lawyers, social workers, accountants, etc. with certain levels of educational attainment, which is what you'd expect given the high cost of living in L.A. There are also some pre-eminent institutions that tend to get the most highly educated people anywhere, like UCLA and Cedars Sinai Medical Centers, Cal Tech and JPL, etc. Also, Silicon Beach is a host to a lot of high tech firms and "the region is considered the second- or third-largest tech hub in the world, according to various reports.[1][2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Beach
Sacramento 45F / Los Angeles 50F

Remember, I used to lived in LA, and my partner was seriously thinking of taking a job in Silicon Beach. But did you know this:

National BrainPower Rankings:

Wash DC #1
San Jose #5
SF #7

San Diego #34
Sacramento #58 - notice how high the Bay Area rankings; if the Bay-Silicon Valley were not so close to Sacramento with its huge income levels, Sacramento would have an even higher ranking because you are right a lot of our grads end up in the Bay Area, but I a lot are staying... as the UC Davis grad rate shows more are staying in the Sacramento area.

Dallas - #69
Phoenix #72
Miami#75
Los Angeles #86
San Antonio #90

Vegas #94
Riverside-San Berdo #96
Fresno #100

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...rainpower.html

Old 01-07-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Sacramento 45F / Los Angeles 50F

Remember, I used to lived in LA, and my partner was seriously thinking of taking a job in Silicon Beach. But did you know this:

National BrainPower Rankings:

Wash DC #1
San Jose #5
SF #7

San Diego #34
Sacramento #58 - notice how high the Bay Area rankings; if the Bay-Silicon Valley were not so close to Sacramento with its huge income levels, Sacramento would have an even higher ranking because you are right a lot of our grads end up in the Bay Area, but I a lot are staying... as the UC Davis grad rate shows more are staying in the Sacramento area.

Dallas - #69
Phoenix #72
Miami#75
Los Angeles #86
San Antonio #90

Vegas #94
Riverside-San Berdo #96
Fresno #100

I'm not sure how much difference these statistics really mean to anyone, other than L.A. having a greater high school drop-out rate (or more uneducated immigrants) than Sacramento. The percentage of College Graduates and those with graduate degrees are essentially the same. This also assumes that "Brain Power" is directly correlated to levels of education (didn't Gates and Jobs drop out of college?).

Los Angeles
78.2% 31.3% 10.8%

Sacramento
87.7% 30.0% 10.4%

Old 01-08-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how much difference these statistics really mean to anyone, other than L.A. having a greater high school drop-out rate (or more uneducated immigrants) than Sacramento. The percentage of College Graduates and those with graduate degrees are essentially the same. This also assumes that "Brain Power" is directly correlated to levels of education (didn't Gates and Jobs drop out of college?).

Los Angeles
78.2% 31.3% 10.8%

Sacramento
87.7% 30.0% 10.4%

What it means is your perception of Sacramento is way off - you questioned our educational attainment and describe the "ghetto culture", "scrappy suburban culture" all of which describe huge swaths of LA.

Shocker, this Inland North Central Valley Metro - Sacramento - is more educated than Los Angeles.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:17 AM

Back to the weather, had a chance to ride the American River bike trail today in Sacramento. Winter is really the best time to ride that trail. Glad it's looking much greener, the River is looking healthy, lots of waterfowl and cyclists. 58F degrees while I was out there, big puffy clouds, partly sunny, everything is wet and green!!

1:00am Jan 8, 2016

Truckee, CA - 17F - It's Ski day tomorrow should be perfect, driving to either Squaw Valley or Northstar

Denver - 29F

Portland -32F

Sacramento - 37F - Glad we are back to a normal winter, I'm loving this colder and wetter weather.

San Francisco - 47F

San Diego - 52F

Old 01-08-2016, 02:37 AM

Quote:
What it means is your perception of Sacramento is way off - you questioned our educational attainment and describe the "ghetto culture", "scrappy suburban culture" all of which describe huge swaths of LA.

Shocker, this Inland North Central Valley Metro - Sacramento - is more educated than Los Angeles.
Well, let's not get carried away with your "Brain Power Rankings"! I would say that those statistics are of dubious significance rather than being a "shocker."

I've been visiting in-laws in Land Park for the last 12 years, and my perception has been that this nice neighborhood, and others like it in Sacramento, seem to be surrounded by ghetto and scrappy suburban culture. I'm not saying that it's like Stockton, but simply lacking in cultural amenities of the coastal cities that you were comparing temperatures with.

Yes, L.A. does have huge swaths of it gritty and suburban culture, but there are also huge swaths of gleaming sophisticated diversity on the West Side (as previously mentioned) as well as Pasadena, San Marino, Palos Verdes, etc. Also, my point was that even though i agree with you that the weather in Sacramento really is pretty good overall, there are other factors that matter besides weather. For examples:
Santa Monica Hiking Club (Los Angeles, CA) - Meetup
Visit the Getty
Los Angeles County Museum of Art | LACMA
LA meetuphikes.com
Los Angeles Tennis Group (Los Angeles, CA) - Meetup
Los Angeles Free Concerts (Los Angeles, CA) - Meetup
https://www.laconservancy.org/last-remaining-seats
American Cinematheque | Movies on the Big Screen as They Were Meant To Be Seen.
American Cinematheque | Movies on the Big Screen as They Were Meant To Be Seen.
Tournament of Roses
The Venice Beach Boardwalk - VeniceBeach.com
Twilight Concerts | Santa Monica Pier
The Santa Monica Philosophy Meetup Group (Santa Monica, CA) - Meetup
26-Mile Bike Path (Santa Monica, CA): Address, Tickets & Tours, Hiking Trail Reviews - TripAdvisor
http://lastbookstorela.com

Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
other than L.A. having a greater high school drop-out rate (or more uneducated immigrants) than Sacramento.
A good share of those uneducated immigrants are illegal and not even counted in these rankings, so likely, LA rated as #86 is probably even lower.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:09 AM

South Shore or North Shore for Ski Day?

5am, Jan 8, 2015

Truckee, CA - 18F, that's unusual, usually Truckee is colder than South Shore.

South Lake Tahoe - 12F

Sacramento - 36F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento