Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,278,163 times

Advertisements

North Sacramento had been an independent city for 40 years when Sacramento annexed it. Basically, you're demonizing Sacramento, not for failing to expand, which they certainly did, but for not expanding as much as you think they should have. Which is nice and all, but kind of counterproductive to curse city councilmembers and mayors and city managers who have been dead for a while. I'm not even sure why I am being berated for this failure--I wasn't even born yet, and don't mind the idea of annexing surrounding suburbs, but don't share the same enthusiasm as NickB. Apparently because I'm not actively picketing the graves of those dead city leaders demanding that they should have done things differently, I have committed some sort of enormous crime. Trust me, there are plenty of bad decisions of city government in Sacramento's history, some of which I have spent considerable ink discussing. Apparently my crime against humanity is considering the demolition of downtown to be a greater affront than the failure to annex the entire county into the city limits. I don't think the city of Sacramento is hesitant to annex South Sacramento for racial reasons--the reasons are more based in economics, in that they consider the cost of annexation to be greater than the benefit received. Their experience annexing to the south (which they also did, just not to the level of NickB's expectations) was not a positive one from the standpoint of city revenue--continued annexation of poorer neighborhoods hurts the city's balance sheet, even if it lets people crow louder about how our total population is larger. On the other hand, the wealthier residents of the "uncity" wanted no part of Sacramento's ethnically mixed neighborhoods, then or now. Nor do they want their own city government. But somehow NickB considers them immune from criticism or critical examination. Cesar Chavez came to San Jose to find work. Although one wonders why he would move *to* a neighborhood called "Get Out If You Can" to raise his kids...

Last edited by wburg; 10-29-2013 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Not sure why line breaks aren't working...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
As previously mentioned, it only makes sense that Sacramento incorporates these areas just as successful cities like San Jose did.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Only after you build a new arena, a skate park, tennis courts, a Olympic pool, a ball park...

Build them and they will come. Just ask KJ.
And they have. Investors already buying several old buildings in downtown to renovate them for commercial use. Then again, that was a given. AKA, we told you so.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:15 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Anybody that has spent any time in Sacramento and Fresno knows unquestionably that Sacramento is the bigger city. Our metropolitan population is 2.5 times bigger than Fresno. We have more big city amenities and more of a big city feel. Even our fledgling under-developed downtown blows downtown Fresno out of the water. But for the last 2 decades or so, Fresno city limits has been just slightly larger than Sacramento's, and it bugs me.

The most recent Census Data from 2010 shows Sacramento as having a population of around 467k people in an area of just over 100 sq miles. Fresno is listed at around 495k people in about 112 sq miles. This gives Fresno the edge as being the largest inland city in California and the largest city in the Central Valley. Fresno overtook Sacramento in population in the 2000 census and has maintained a lead of about 30,000 people since then.

I know that this is a dubious honor and is relatively meaningless, but it annoys me that Fresno of all places has this distinction over Sacramento, which is in my opinion the superior city. Can't we just annex Arden/Arcade and South Sac and get this over with?
Bakersfield is larger.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Bakersfield is larger.
Nope. Where did you get that?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Indeed. Bakersfield is still smaller. Moreover, Bakersfield appears to have a similar if smaller "Un-City" situation, with an Un-City of Oildale to the north, an Un-City of Rosedale to the west and an Un-City of East Bakersfield.

Last edited by NickB1967; 09-19-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Sacramento, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bakersfield, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bakersfield is ~40% larger. Of course, Wikipedia could be wrong. I didn't actually check the Census data that's given as the source material.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:53 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sacramento, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bakersfield, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bakersfield is ~40% larger. Of course, Wikipedia could be wrong. I didn't actually check the Census data that's given as the source material.
They mean population.....

Old 09-19-2014, 09:27 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,373 times
Yeah we're talking about population here, but this is yet another example of how far behind Sacramento is with regards to annexation. There's no reason why Bakersfield should be 40% larger in terms of area when Sacramento has sooo much unincorporated land surrounding it.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:14 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Yeah we're talking about population here, but this is yet another example of how far behind Sacramento is with regards to annexation. There's no reason why Bakersfield should be 40% larger in terms of area when Sacramento has sooo much unincorporated land surrounding it.
So how big is sacramento should be. It's weird that they don't include florin area into sacramento's stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento