Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 AM

528 posts, read 867,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
The reason Fresno has a higher population is that, like most cities, they annex land prior to development, or more specifically, annex land in order to facilitate development, at the favor of developers. Fresno has been very effective at this. Locally, Roseville and Rocklin have done the same thing. Sacramento was made up of many smaller outlying communties that grew over time and coalesced into miles of urban development. People in those areas don't want to be annexed for a variety of reasons. The City eyes Arden-Arcade for the tax revenue and really don't have much to offer the residents of Arden-Arcade in terms of what those residents want, and the residents of Arden-Arcade don't want to pay additional taxes for things the City Council wants, like a sports arena, and they shouldn't have to (neither should the residents within the city limits).

Cheap? Placer and El Dorado have the most overpriced new homes in the region.
I believe it. Its getting to be like a fake yuppified country feel to it rather than a genuine. But that's not to say the long time locals were the nicest either.

I do not like Placer county overall and I also dislike Nevada County for similar reasons. The cost of living is so high yet people like to think they're still in the old west or the 1890s. Its ridiculous the mentality I come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:13 PM

660 posts, read 1,082,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
So how big is sacramento should be. It's weird that they don't include florin area into sacramento's stats.
This is up for debate. My personal opinions do not resonate with a lot of people, but if I was allowed to draw the city limits up, this is what it would sound like.

Southern boundary: All the way down to the Elk Grove city limits, so Sheldon Rd and Laguna Creek/Morrison Creek West of Hwy 99, including town of Freeport and the bridge. East of 99 would be Calvine Rd.

Northern boundary: Sacramento County line

Western Boundary: obviously the Sacramento River

Eastern Boundary: This I would essentially draw the line at Sunrise Blvd north of the American River, obviously excluding Citrus Heights. South of the American the Eastern Boundary would be the City of Rancho Cordova (basically Bradshaw Rd), extending East out to Grantline Rd south of the city of Rancho Cordova, and expanding down Grantline to Calvine Rd.

Doing this would include the following communities into the City of Sacramento:

Freeport, Florin/Fruitridge/Parkway/Lemon Hill (unincorporated South Sacramento), Vineyard, Rosemont, La Riviera, Arden-Arcade, Carmichael, Foothill Farms, Antelope, North Highlands, Rio Linda, Elverta, unincorporated Natomas, and the airport.

Now obviousky it wouldn't be this simple, and will almost certainly never happen. Some of theses places might be better served by surrounding cities, some aces will always refuse to join any city. This is just the most aesthetically pleasing looking to me, and makes sense. Most of the people that live in these places identify themselves as Sacramentans anyway, so why not make it official?

If this were to happen, Sacramento would be the 3rd or 4th largest city in California and a top-15 city in the US.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,282,450 times
CeJeH, I second your proposal, all in favor say Aye.

On second thought, would Midtown-Downtown suffer from the voting habits of folks in Antelope, North Highlands, Arden-Arcade...and the likes?

What would be the purpose of such a large city? Would Sacramento become a more socially and conservative city or stay the same?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
CeJeH, I second your proposal, all in favor say Aye.

On second thought, would Midtown-Downtown suffer from the voting habits of folks in Antelope, North Highlands, Arden-Arcade...and the likes?

What would be the purpose of such a large city? Would Sacramento become a more socially and conservative city or stay the same?
I doubt any of those areas would affect Sacramento much politically. Carmichael and Arden-Arcade are the only right-iah leaning areas and they are much more left-leaning now than they were 10 years ago. Maybe Vineyard and Rio Linda/Elverta as well but the population in the North area is so small.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:15 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,503 times
I unno about elverta, rio linda, antelope, and Carmichael being incorporated into Sacramento's population but the rest I do agree.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
I unno about elverta, rio linda, antelope, and Carmichael being incorporated into Sacramento's population but the rest I do agree.
It's because of the potential for growth. There's a ton of open land out there.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:52 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
It's because of the potential for growth. There's a ton of open land out there.
That should make Majin happy. More suburban development and less imported mountains due to the arena if that went through.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:23 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That should make Majin happy. More suburban development and less imported mountains due to the arena if that went through.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The idea is that the growth is going to happen here no matter what. I read somewhere recently that the Sacramento region is projected to add anywhere from 800k-1.3mm new residents over the next 30 years or so. That sounds like a lot but when you consider immigration and Bay Area migration it is realistic. That's a lot of new homes and apartments, a lot of commercial and industrial districts. A lot of tax dollars.

So the question is, does the City of Sacramento want to make some changes to ensure that they secure as much of that future tax base as possible? Or are they going to sit back and watch Sacramento County, Placer County, El Dorado County and the other cities of the region reign in that money while continuing to do nothing about it?

There are areas in Sacramento's sphere of influence that are ripe for growth. The Jackson Highway corridor all the way out to Grant Line Rd is going to see a lot of growth. The Bradshaw corridor is already starting to see growth. There's a ton of open land in the north county around North Natomas, Rio Linda, and Elverta that is within close proximity to Roseville. That area has growth potential as well. This isn't even including the infill potential in Sacramento and redevelopment potential in some current un-city areas like South Sacramento and Arden.

Expanding the borders and staking claim on unclaimed lands isn't just about the spoils they offer right now. It's about planning ahead to ensure that the city can take charge of planning these areas properly and securing a larger tax base for the future.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:27 AM

528 posts, read 867,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
I doubt any of those areas would affect Sacramento much politically. Carmichael and Arden-Arcade are the only right-iah leaning areas and they are much more left-leaning now than they were 10 years ago. Maybe Vineyard and Rio Linda/Elverta as well but the population in the North area is so small.
Carmichael is easily a neo conservative kind of area. Increasingly liberal yes but much of it feels red still as a lot of that citizen base is still around. Many seem uptight especially those with the gates around their houses. This isn't exactly Beverly Hills here yet people did that a lot around there it seemed. Carmichael in conservatism ranks pretty close to Auburn. I consider myself a centrist but will lean any way I feel can improve a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento