Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:23 PM

181 posts, read 698,046 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer in South Sacramento, close to Calvin Rd and highway 99. I know it is a rough area. But we will live in Folsom area as we want good school district. How is the traffic from S Sacramento to Folsom?

Currently, we live in the suburb of Phoenix metro area. Good school, very safe, a nice house too. But $20000 a year pay increase from this new job offer is very attracting to me. It certainly can improve my living standard as I am the sole bread winner. I heard Sacramento has high crime issue, and it's boring city. I makes me think twice now. Your advice is highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 12:07 AM

42,871 posts, read 26,392,639 times
At least where I live there doesn't seem to be any crime at all (Carmichael) and I think Folsom is quite safe. I don't find the Sacramento area boring. I've spent a good deal of time in Phoenix and I found it boring =)

Old 01-25-2015, 12:49 AM

527 posts, read 1,326,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthinker View Post
I just got a job offer in South Sacramento, close to Calvin Rd and highway 99. I know it is a rough area. But we will live in Folsom area as we want good school district. How is the traffic from S Sacramento to Folsom?

Currently, we live in the suburb of Phoenix metro area. Good school, very safe, a nice house too. But $20000 a year pay increase from this new job offer is very attracting to me. It certainly can improve my living standard as I am the sole bread winner. I heard Sacramento has high crime issue, and it's boring city. I makes me think twice now. Your advice is highly appreciated!
I'm not sure that the general vicinity of calvine and 99 is that rough, it's on the border of elk grove. Traffic from folsom to south sac during rush hour is probably 45-little over an hour depending on conditions. As far as it being a boring city, that'll be something you have to determine after making a visit there and exploring the city.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 AM

979 posts, read 2,098,199 times
Sac peeps will say Phoenix is boring and vice-versa. So you might want to come check Sac for yourself. Personally, I am not a fan of phoenix. I think it lacks character and its downtown is not as walkable like downtown Sacramento.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:06 AM

68 posts, read 110,142 times
Sacramento is NOT a boring city. No it's not NYC, but it's just as happening as Phoenix, if not moreso. Ok so we don't have the Super Bowl, but instead we have a strong music scene, coffee scene, etc etc etc.

+$20,000/yr is a nice bump, but keep in mind that Sacramento is more expensive than Phoenix. Housing, gas, taxes, etc etc etc will all be higher. AC bill will be lower though

No way in hell would I want to commute from Folsom to S Sac, but it is doable. But make sure you are comfortable spending a lot of time behind the wheel.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:34 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,325,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbt263 View Post

No way in hell would I want to commute from Folsom to S Sac, but it is doable. But make sure you are comfortable spending a lot of time behind the wheel.
There is a direct line on the Light Rail from Folsom to Sacramento. I know lots of people who commute daily on and love it.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,538,545 times
Quote:

By all means take the job and bring your friends, family and neighbors along with you. California needs more residents.

But seriously, not only is there light rail from Folsom to Sacramento and back again but a south-sac line as well. I'm just not sure if that would get you to a convenient bus line to your job. A monthly Regional Transit pass would be far cheaper and less frustrating/harrowing than driving.

Twenty years in Sacratomato and I was rarely bored.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:14 PM

306 posts, read 703,044 times
Visit Sacramento first and see what you think. If you think it's ****ty and depressing when you get here, your opinion probably won't change after being here for more than a year. (Ask me how I know this.) But if you think it seems pleasant, then go ahead and move here. Either way, you definitely should visit before making such a major decision.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:48 PM

888 posts, read 891,626 times
Quote:

That will be a long commute for you if you live in Folsom. To me, it seems Elk Grove would be a better fit.

$20,000 sounds like a lot more money but it can all get gobbled up in higher housing costs that's for sure. I'm guessing you've taken that into account and have concluded you'll come out ahead. If your analysis isn't solid, I wouldn't be mesmerized by a $20,000 salary increase unless you firmly believe you have a solid employer who isn't going to get rid of you when the going gets tough, or you have greater upside potential for salary adjustments.

Answer me this, if the salary increase wasn't a factor, where in your heart would you really prefer living? Sacramento or Phoenix. That is where you belong.

I've recently spent time in Phoenix and don't find it boring but then again I don't find Sacramento boring either. You know what they say about being who are bored; they are boring. I may be different than some of the other commentators here but I like Phoenix.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM

181 posts, read 698,046 times
I am going to get 22k pay increase after adjustment of high tax and mortgage. Been to Sacramento once, I wasn't impressed at all. Phoenix is big, provides everything we need for our three kids. Plus it is very safe. Not as many bad areas like Sacramento has. But with three kids, 22K pay increase for sure will improve my living standard. No perfect choice. I have to assess the pros and cons. What I need most.

Last edited by greenthinker; 01-25-2015 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento