Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:57 PM

32 posts, read 66,363 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have mentioned the crime in Sacramento, and I have looked at the crime map and statistics, etc. and to me it seems like a lot but not really anymore than where I live in San Diego County. I was wondering maybe its the type of crime that is occurring that scare people? Is there a lot of shootings? Are there a lot of gangs? I look at the maps and I see a lot of mix of where crime happens. Are there safer neighborhoods in Sacramento to look for? I have lived in nice neighborhoods, and the ghetto, so I have seen a lot of different things in my life and I just wonder if it is worse than when I lived in the ghetto of East LA?

My question is this for those of you who live in Sacramento do you personally feel safe? What neighborhoods would you recommend living in that have less violent crimes and gangs?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 03:08 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Most people who claim "Sacramento" (which could mean anything) is dangerous have never stepped foot in the place.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:24 PM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Most people who claim "Sacramento" (which could mean anything) is dangerous have never stepped foot in the place.
I have lived here all my life and I won't walk alone at night anymore. It takes hours for the police to respond to my neighborhood when reporting active incidents where people are getting hurt, such as a fight in the park, or property is being damaged, such as a guy walking through the neighborhood sticking a knife in every tire he passed. By the time they do arrive, if they arrive, there is no one left who was causing the trouble and the responding officers will not even take a report, keeping statistics skewed.

Yes, it is dangerous - some neighborhoods are more dangerous than others.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I've only lived here about 6 months and I feel very safe. I live in Carmichael and I don't think there are any gangs here, just a bunch of old people (like me). I don't think I would want to live in North Highlands, I usually avoid places where everyone has chain link fences in their front yards and two pitbulls on standby.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
I'm in Carmichael, and I consider my area to be safe. But I would take normal precautions--keeping doors locked, etc. I have no issue with taking out my trash at 1 in the morning--more afraid of the skunks than the people.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 33,065 times
This question always seems to spark debate. I live in the city, and I've met about as many people who say they feel safe here as I have those who say they feel unsafe. I think the answer really depends on who you are and where you came from. I would not say that Sacramento is very safe or very dangerous. I would advise taking normal precautions like cb73 mentioned (lock doors, look alert while walking alone at night, don't leave your valuables sitting in the coffee shop while in the restroom, etc). I wouldn't say there're a lot of shootings. Occasionally I hear about muggings, but most of the violent crimes I hear of are between people who know each other and are upset/fighting with each other etc. The majority of crimes I hear of have to do with property being destroyed or stolen.

I have lived here all of my life as well (I'm 28 years old). The population has grown, and I definitely feel gradually less safe over time. I lived in the Natomas area for a few years, and moved out of there about six years ago because I saw increasing amounts of shrines for murder victims, signs about keeping eyes open for rapists in the area, etc. From what I have heard, that area has not improved. I have never felt safe in Del Paso Heights area. Lately, I have felt safest in East Sacramento and Midtown.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your move! :-)

Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
The only areas I know that are extremely bad in Sac are North Highlands, parts of Natomas, and South Sac. East and Midtown are ok. But take it precautions; when you see a lot of pitbulls in a neighborhood, you know you are in the hood. You want to look for neighborhoods that have a lot of golden (I'm a proud golden retriever owner, best breed out there along with German shepards) and Labrador retrievers.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
I live in Midtown, which is supposedly one of the areas with higher crime according to a recent article (mostly due to the large number of bars and clubs where fights and DUIs happen), and I feel quite safe at all times of day or night. It's definitely safer than when I moved here 20+ years ago, and it didn't feel unsafe then. But I keep my eyes open and my doors locked, that's just common sense. You see a few pitbulls around here, but only because they're a currently popular breed--mostly it's lots of miniature breeds.

Sacramento is a city of 100 square miles, it has safe neighborhoods and not-so-safe neighborhoods, the most unsafe neighborhoods in Sacramento are probably somewhat safer than the rough parts of East L.A. where you used to live.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:27 PM

264 posts, read 413,657 times
It's all relative, compared to say Camden, NJ, or Oakland, CA, Sacramento is paradise.

A lot of those discussions are talking about within areas of Sac. When you look at those crime mappers, there's always dumb people charged with random things, like negligent discharge of a firearm, but homicides and gang activity, not as much.

http://www.raidsonline.com/?address=...dDate=0&zoom=8

Set the filter to Homicides and Gangs, and avoid where those pop up. Other crimes like Theft occur everywhere, can't really escape that.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
The only areas I know that are extremely bad in Sac are North Highlands, parts of Natomas, and South Sac. East and Midtown are ok. But take it precautions; when you see a lot of pitbulls in a neighborhood, you know you are in the hood. You want to look for neighborhoods that have a lot of golden (I'm a proud golden retriever owner, best breed out there along with German shepards) and Labrador retrievers.
noooo you are so wrong! You want to look for neighborhoods with labradoodles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento