Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,999 times

Advertisements

Elk Grove Unified School District has both year-round schools and traditional schools. My dtr attends a year-round school. I believe that the length of the school day is the same as in both year-round and traditional. Year-round schools have 4 tracks (A,B,C,D). Each school year the school starts with 3 tracks starting at the same time (B,C,D) while A track starts later (A Track is supposed to be closest to traditional schools). Each track is on for anywhere from 1-4 months until they are "off-track" on break. What is nice about year-round is that the kids do not get too "bored" with school. My dtr gets a 4 week break every 3 months or so and it has been great. She continues to love school.

Elk Grove Unified School District Calendar
[url=http://www.egusd.net/calendars/index.cfm]Elk Grove Unified School District - Calendar[/url]

I am sure with either one there are pluses and minuses. We like that we can take vacations when it is not too overly busy. We visit Disneyland in the beginning of December every year (we are B track) and would not be able to do that in a traditional school.

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 PM

20 posts, read 105,793 times
We plan to move to Rancho Cordova, new house areas close to Sunrise & Douglas. I really concern about crime, and just read one thread said he'd prefer to be homeless than being around that area. While we visited it, it seemed nice and quiet. Appreciate your feedback.
Duong

Old 03-14-2008, 10:17 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I was in that area for awhile when first arriving in Sacramento. I found it to be safe but very inconvenient.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:25 PM

20 posts, read 105,793 times
Hi NewToCA,
Thanks for the info. Is it more convenient now? What do you think if I pick the area inside of Watt/ El Camino/ Fair Oak/ Arden? For a smaller and older house, of course.
Duong

Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 PM

I like Fair Oaks and the Arden Arcade areas, though the homes are a bit older they are very established and generally pretty nice. I haven't been down to the Rancho area for a few months but from what I have read the area has pretty much come to a halt for development. I know that Centex closed up their development down there:

Centex, Pulte dump land in Rancho - Sacramento Business Journal:

Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 17,483 times
Just to give my two cents. I live in Anatolia - used to live in EG and Folsom. There is a lot to consider. EG and Folsom both have a slew of amenties, shopping, grocery, movies, etc... But Folsom homes under $450 come up rarely. EG homes in that range exist but the city is really changing (not for the better I keep hearing). Anatolia has it's minuses - shopping/grocery is not convenient, vacant homes and steeply dropping prices, a few very bad days of funk from the rendering plant, HOA and mello-roos fees, a feeling of being disconnected from the rest of the city, the unknown future; and it has it's pluses - low home prices, great homes, great neighbors (mine anyway), great schools, clubhouse and S. Sunrise traffic (nothing in comparison to N. of 50 Sunrise traffic). I own my own business and work from home so there is no commute issue for me, and getting to the Bay Area (which I do twice a week) is a breeze - straight shot down 50! You just have to prioritize what's important to you and then weigh your decision for yourself. Don't let other peoples negative or overly positive opinions sway you against what's right for you.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,413 times
The schools in elk grove are decent. The best high school would probably be Franklin and that is an amazing school. The elementary schools are all pretty good. The year round format just means they go to school for three months then have a one month break. Only the elementary schools are like that.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM

67 posts, read 289,673 times
If you go on the web to Great Schools.net, you can see for yourself how the schools are rated in any area. Elk Grove has good schools...But it also is having a lot of problems with crime and gangs. The market really crashed there.
Rancho Cordova has horrible schools. If that is important to you, I would stay away. We think about Rancho(anitolia) because the homes are new and nice and well priced these days...But we keep coming back to the schools. Can't do it.

The best schools in the Sac area are Granite Bay-- not much below 450$. Roseville-- lots under $450. Rocklin-- nice homes under $450, but worse drive for you. Folsom-- what you heard here about not much under $450 is not correct anymore. You can find great homes $350 to $450, for sure. It is also a wonderful family community, very, very safe and clean. But it would be a long drive to Davis. And Davis-- I would look there if I were you.

You can look at home prices easy at Metrolist.com so you can see what the prices are like. Over all, i would stay away from Rancho Cordova, because of schools.

Good Luck

Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanceisdead View Post
If you go on the web to Great Schools.net, you can see for yourself how the schools are rated in any area. Elk Grove has good schools...But it also is having a lot of problems with crime and gangs. The market really crashed there.
Rancho Cordova has horrible schools. If that is important to you, I would stay away. We think about Rancho(anitolia) because the homes are new and nice and well priced these days...But we keep coming back to the schools. Can't do it.

The best schools in the Sac area are Granite Bay-- not much below 450$. Roseville-- lots under $450. Rocklin-- nice homes under $450, but worse drive for you. Folsom-- what you heard here about not much under $450 is not correct anymore. You can find great homes $350 to $450, for sure. It is also a wonderful family community, very, very safe and clean. But it would be a long drive to Davis. And Davis-- I would look there if I were you.

You can look at home prices easy at Metrolist.com so you can see what the prices are like. Over all, i would stay away from Rancho Cordova, because of schools.

Good Luck

If I recall this correctly, the Rancho Cordova homes in the area south of Douglas are in the Elk Grove School District.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanceisdead View Post

Good Luck

In Elk Grove it seems like there as many schools with worse test scores than Cordova High as there are schools with test scores better than Cordova High in the EGUSD. Personally, I don't see much difference between the two areas in terms of strength of schools.

California schools - CA elementary, middle and high school information

California schools - CA elementary, middle and high school information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento