Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 72,962 times

Advertisements

Any and all help would be appreciated to confirm what my commuting experience will be like, including costs and other potential events.

I will be commuting from Roseville, CA to San Francisco (Market St.) at least 2x a week. I have mapped out a schedule purely based on information from Amtrak and BART. I would appreciate it greatly if the below can be reviewed.

Home to Sacramento Train Station - 26mi (35min)
Roseville CA to 401 I Street Sacramento CA
Depart 6:00am - Arrive 6:35am

Amtrak Sacramento (SAC) to Amtrak Richmond (RIC) - 527 Capitols
Depart 7:00am - Arrive 8:25am (85min)

- $19 Ticket

BART Service
Richmond to Montgomery St
Depart 8:50am - Arrive 9:26am (36min)

- $4 Ticket

Total Estimated Travel Time: 156min / 2 hours 36 minutes
Total Estimated Cost: $23
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BART Service
Montgomery St to Richmond
Depart 6:11pm - Arrive 6:47pm (36min)

- $4 Ticket

Amtrak Richmond (RIC) to Amtrak Sacramento (SAC) - 544 Capitols
Depart 7:17pm - Arrive 8:55pm (98min)

- $19 Ticket

Sacramento Train Station to Home - 26mi (35min)
401 I Street Sacramento CA to Roseville CA
Depart 9:00pm - Arrive 9:35pm

- Parking Cost at SAC Train Station ???

Total Estimated Travel Time: 169min / 2 hours 49 minutes
Total Estimated Cost: $23 + Parking @ SAC Train Station
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Estimated Cost Round-trip: $46 + SAC Train Station Parking Cost
Total Estimated Weekly Cost: $92 + SAC Train Station Parking Cost
Total Estimated Monthly Cost: $368 + SAC Train Station Parking Cost
Total Estimated Yearly Cost: $4,416 + SAC Train Station Parking Cost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 PM

238 posts, read 1,316,160 times
You can purchase Amtrak 10-ride tickets that would almost cut your Amtrak costs in half. For trips between Sac and Richmond, it would be $113 for ten rides. The 10-ride ticket is valid for 45 days.

Also, did you know that there are trains directly from Roseville to Richmond? There is a 7:08a Roseville train that gets to Richmond/BART at 9:05. Or if you don't mind departing before 7:00am, there are buses from the Roseville station that take you to the Sac station. The buses are free as long as you have a valid Sac ticket in hand. Good way to avoid the Sac station parking fees if you can get up early enough.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 AM

Thank you for the information quasi888. Would you be so kind as to point in the direction on the web where I can confirm the Roseville Train and Bus schedule. Is it the Capitol Corridor .org website?

My initial review looks like I will need to play my cards correctly in getting back to Richmond in time to catch the last train into Roseville or Sacramento to bus back up to the Roseville station.

Thank you for your assistance.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 AM

238 posts, read 1,316,160 times
Yes it's the Capitol Corridor website, specifically, the train/bus schedule document:

http://capitolcorridor.org/included/..._schedules.pdf

On-time reliability is definitely a concern, not just for BART, but also for Amtrak. There have been times that my return train (Santa Clara to Sacramento) has been over an hour late. (Amtrak shares the same rails as the commercial freight trains and other commuter trains, so if there is ever an "incident," it affects everyone on those rails.) One time, it was so late that I actually missed my connecting bus from Sacramento to Roseville. I had to take a cab ride ($60!) from Sac to the Roseville station where my car was parked. So make sure you have a backup plan, whichever options you choose.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Thank you for the information. It certainly does sound like I need to have a few backup plans in place for both legs.

Regards.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
Default It's a hellish commute

My daughter commutes from Roseville to SF every day. She drives to the train depot in Sac, and parks her car there, and then takes the train to Emeryville, and from there gets a bus to the Ferry Building in SF. There are always issues that affect the timetable greatly. For instance, within a two week period, in two separate incidents, an Amtrack train hit and killed two people who were on the tracks. Once in West Sac, and the other in Fremont. Obviously, this kind of thing screws everyhting up, and the last time it happened my daughter didn't get home until midnight! Who needs this kind of stress on top of the usual work-related stress? My daughter is going to try and telecommute a couple of days a week to try and make it work. She just refuses to move to SF - the prices are outrageously high for what you get, and she says the city grosses her out! It's a difficult position to be in, as most of the really good career-type jobs are in the Bay Area. Anyway, I hope it works out for you - good luck!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,231 times
Why in the Hell can't you take an Amtrack train from Roseville to San Francisco w/o interruption??? I'm reading these comments and seeing you take a train here and then a bus there.....what is going on??? There's a station 5 minutes from my apartment in Roseville is there not???

Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelroseville1 View Post
Why in the Hell can't you take an Amtrack train from Roseville to San Francisco w/o interruption??? I'm reading these comments and seeing you take a train here and then a bus there.....what is going on??? There's a station 5 minutes from my apartment in Roseville is there not???
You've dredged up a 6 year old thread but in case you need an answer: GEOGRAPHY. Amtrak doesn't cross the Bay.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
You can't take an Amtrak train from anywhere to San Francisco. San Francisco's Amtrak depot is served by buses only, not trains. If you take Capitol Corridor, you either transfer to BART in Richmond or to the Amtrak bus in Emeryville.

There are a couple of Amtrak trains that run as far east as Roseville, but most of them start from Sacramento, except for 2-3 trains a day, which means unless you catch those specific trains you have to take the Amtrak bus from Roseville instead, which drops you off at the Sacramento depot.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:37 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,970 times
Quote:
I wanna ride this train that goes to SF without interruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento