Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,475 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've recently been offered a job in Elk Grove making ~60k/year. I'm married with three small kids, with one about to start kindergarten. How is Elk Grove for raising kids? The schools seem pretty well rated on great schools. Is this your perception as well?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 12:12 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
The Elk Grove Unified School District is considered one of the better school systems in the Sacramento region. Although you mentioned your annual income, specifically what what be your monthly budget for housing costs? Does your spouse also work?

Old 05-29-2017, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
The Elk Grove Unified School District is considered one of the better school systems in the Sacramento region. Although you mentioned your annual income, specifically what what be your monthly budget for housing costs? Does your spouse also work?
Monthly budget for rent would be less than 2K. My spouse hasn't found a job just yet, but she's a teacher and is looking for work in the area. If she does work, she'll probably earn 55-60K as well.

What's child care like in Elk Grove?

Old 05-29-2017, 08:57 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignificantDigits View Post
Monthly budget for rent would be less than 2K. My spouse hasn't found a job just yet, but she's a teacher and is looking for work in the area. If she does work, she'll probably earn 55-60K as well.

What's child care like in Elk Grove?
For that budget, you should be able to find a decent place to rent. Most likely closer to 2K. As for child care, I'm not able to speak to that. However, here are some Yelp searches that would be helpful.

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=chi...lk+Grove%2C+CA

Old 05-30-2017, 04:08 PM

136 posts, read 211,373 times
$60k a year salary is a bit high for Elk Grove, you probably can do better. Most Sacramento gang activity is in the surrounding area as well.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:32 PM

132 posts, read 537,349 times
Laguna West area is great if you can find a rental. I live in the south of EG between Whitelock Rd and Bilby and it's nice and safe.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:40 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Kid View Post
Laguna West area is great if you can find a rental. I live in the south of EG between Whitelock Rd and Bilby and it's nice and safe.

Me too, bro.

I think Elk Grove is safe overall, but the general use is the further south you go, the safer the area is.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:10 PM

152 posts, read 232,271 times
Yep, what the last two posters said I would agree with. Pretty much anything from the corner of Bruceville Rd and Laguna Blvd South to Bilby and West to I-5 I felt were pretty nice areas. I might even go as far north as Big Horn Blvd, starts to get a bit hairy from there up. I'm a FedEx driver and used to deliver all over the Elk Grove area for about 5 years until just a few years ago. (I'm in a different delivery area nowadays)

Old 06-15-2017, 08:34 PM

490 posts, read 837,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignificantDigits View Post
Hello!

I've recently been offered a job in Elk Grove making ~60k/year. I'm married with three small kids, with one about to start kindergarten. How is Elk Grove for raising kids? The schools seem pretty well rated on great schools. Is this your perception as well?

Thanks!

I like the 95758 part of Elk Grove. It's nearly central to everything. There are pockets of nice neighborhoods I'd consider, and then there are more questionable pockets that I'd avoid.

I like the area around Big Horn and Laguna Blvd. Never had a problem living there over 5 years.
There are some decent 3-bdrm,2ba, 2car houses in the area (like the homes behind the Crystal Walk condos by the Century theater), some newer homes further down Big Horn past Elk Grove Blvd, and if you go closer to the I-5 side of Elk Grove, there are some nice gated communities, some with homes along man-made lakes, that look well-kept and fairly safe.

Schools are considered generally pretty good.. maybe 9/10 rating for the better ones. Lots of parks in Elk Grove and lots of restaurants. The Day Care centers I hear are pretty good, but they are like at least $500/mo per kid, of not more.

Before committing to a place to live, if you look at Trulia (I think), there will be a crime map showing you whether the area is green (safe), yellow (sort of safe), or red (dangerous). You can often also zoom in and look at the crime details to see what kinds of crimes were committed in the past 6 months.

I'd also look at the Megan's Law website to see if there are any sex offenders in your immediate area, how many and where they are located, etc. They also show mug shots of the offenders.

Pick a green zone with fewest offenders.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:16 PM

136 posts, read 211,373 times
Remember, Elk Grove is a great place to raise unfixed pit bulls and marijuana plants too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento