Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 09:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Who woulda thought?

Quote:
After being sent home en masse amid the coronavirus pandemic, many homeowners are considering uprooting and settling down someplace new.

And thousands of them are considering a move to Sacramento, according to data published by brokerage firm Redfin in July. Sacramento is the No. 2 destination in the country for home searchers considering relocating to a new city, following Phoenix, the report said.

Redfin’s analysis was based on a sample of more than 1 million site users searching for homes across 80 metro areas in April in May, excluding searches that were unlikely to precede an actual purchase. The net inflow of people looking to move into the Sacramento area was nearly 9,000 Redfin.com users; 46 percent of the total searches for homes in Sacramento were from outside of the area.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/business...44809677.html?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 11:04 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,570,303 times
Once I have the go ahead to work remote permanent, I would leave California and buy a place in a non commie state like Idaho or South Dakota for 100k cash and be done with it. Then no need for masks no leftist commies no need for forced vaccinations and micro chip agenda coming. Lower taxes. More gun law freedom to protect one's home.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Once I have the go ahead to work remote permanent, I would leave California and buy a place in a non commie state like Idaho or South Dakota for 100k cash and be done with it. Then no need for masks no leftist commies no need for forced vaccinations and micro chip agenda coming. Lower taxes. More gun law freedom to protect one's home.
nice idea if you like those states but I'd visit them first. But I wonder if they make telework permanent will they throw in some hook like "be available to work on site as directed" They put so many hooks in my son's remote work schedule that he can't move more than an hour away. He's a senior accountant so for some bizarre reason he has to go into the office to sign certain documents in person, and he has to do it on short notice. He also has to work in the office one day a week with no reason given for that. He was hoping he could move to Sacramento but it's not looking good - and his employer won't even commit to how long telework will last, they are calling it 'temporary'

Old 08-08-2020, 11:53 AM

590 posts, read 931,900 times
We spent a month touring Wyoming and Montana, just got home. We met wonderful people everywhere and saw amazing scenery that rivals Yosemite. California ain't all that.

One complaint from small town residents in either states was lack of high speed internet. Specifically, Pinedale, Wyoming and Philipsburg, Montana residents are still relying on speeds that are well below what the FCC deems "high speed ", which is roughly 22mbps. That said, my area in Citrus Heights is serviced by Consolidated Communications and we're lucky if we get 13mbps. So, while small town communities might not have fully optimal speeds for telecommuting, their speeds are still better than mine in a suburban setting in the capital city. Consolidated sucks, hard.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:16 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
We spent a month touring Wyoming and Montana, just got home. We met wonderful people everywhere and saw amazing scenery that rivals Yosemite. California ain't all that.

One complaint from small town residents in either states was lack of high speed internet. Specifically, Pinedale, Wyoming and Philipsburg, Montana residents are still relying on speeds that are well below what the FCC deems "high speed ", which is roughly 22mbps. That said, my area in Citrus Heights is serviced by Consolidated Communications and we're lucky if we get 13mbps. So, while small town communities might not have fully optimal speeds for telecommuting, their speeds are still better than mine in a suburban setting in the capital city. Consolidated sucks, hard.
Take the same trip in January or February and see how you like. Nobody said, "California is all that".
Transport 5 million people to Wyoming and let's see how "wonderful" they remain.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:16 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Is your job skill that poor that you can't just find a new job somewhere else?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:31 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
My thought is if your job can be done remotely and requires no face to face interaction, so you could do it from Montana or Idaho, couldn't it also be done by someone else overseas for 1/10 of what you make?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:54 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Its interesting how I noticed that Sacramento area was "boomtown" back in the early 2000s when the Bay Area and other major urban areas around the state including LA, OC, and SD were experiencing the Enron related "implosion" and that housing prices were rising and jobs were still increasing while it fell hard in other parts of the state that peaked on 2000 before the implosion. Though on the flip side Sacramento area like everywhere else was hit particularly hard by the 2008 housing implosion and it seems like it just barely recovered or exceeded its last peak at least for the Elk Grove area around 2016 to today even though housing in the Bay Area and Los Angeles area all had exceeded its last peak in 2007 as of 2015. I remember a house that sold for $500,000 in Elk Grove back in 2007 still markets for around $500,000 today.
Elk Grove, CA is a bedroom community immediately south of Sacramento that was a constant construction site from the 1990s and 2000s in which most new homes were built before HOAs became de facto mandatory in new developments.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:59 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
I know a lot of people from the Bay Area who are making the move. While this has been the case for some time, it never completely caught on pre-COVID. You'd have to find an employer willing to let you work remotely (the minority in the past) or brave a monstrous mega commute. There were a set of tech companies that opened offices there (Intel, Oracle, HP) which attracted a fair amount as well. However, the Bay Area always remained the place you needed to live (generally) for the opportunities.

Now, with COVID, this is changing the entire paradigm. I do believe there's a ton of pent up demand here in the Bay Area of people who couldn't afford to buy a home here. I also know people who purposely lived in SF, but are now not seeing the appeal of living in the city with COVID risks, closures and high costs.

I can tell you that here in the inland East Bay, housing sales have been brisk, which have driven prices up. I can only imagine that for those that are looking to buy, no longer tied to a particular city and see the East Bay as unaffordable, Sacramento would be a popular option.

Old 08-08-2020, 03:00 PM

590 posts, read 931,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Take the same trip in January or February and see how you like. Nobody said, "California is all that".
Transport 5 million people to Wyoming and let's see how "wonderful" they remain.
Funny you should say that, we'll be spending Christmas and New Year's in Montana. Grew up skiing, still love it, just wish I was closer. Snow and cold weather and 4 distinguishable seasons appeals to me, not to all. Sitting inside on another 95 degree day, just one in a string of days that lasts from May to October doesn't appeal to me, it does for some. Your apparent disdain for the cold is subjective.

Hypothetically, 5 million people with a common interest wouldn't be terrible. An overabundance of diversity amongst 5 million people... that's another debate.

Last edited by NorCalMan; 08-08-2020 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento