Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,373 times

Advertisements

dont do it! you will be bored out of your mind in sacramento! lol. Seriously, Atlanta just has so much more to offer, from my perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
The San Andreas Fault runs roughly along the coast from LA to Crescent City. Our County seat is named San Andreas and many of the locals have a license plate frame that says "San Andreas, it's not our fault"

Old 10-11-2007, 08:42 AM

495 posts, read 1,831,012 times
I just moved from SF, lived near the ocean and felt them weekly. Usually very mild and there were new cracks in my ceiling all the time, which is typical in SF. In Sacramento you'll be fine. You may feel an occassional one if the magnitude is high elsewhere, but generally not. I personally don't mind the earth rolling and rocking, I just don't have too much confidence in SF gov't/rescue being able to manage the after effects of the "big one". A good number of firemen & firewomen live outside of the city or even out of state! Most residents live in denial and don't pay attention to earthquake preparedness advice. It's going to be pretty bad I think. The 1989 quake was nothing compared to a really big quake and it was scary being there with that one as far as the chaos is concerned. I love SF, but I'm glad I moved back to Sacramento, lol.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,539 times
Earthquakes? I've lived in Sacramento since 1979 and have felt only 1 earthquake. The one that struck during the World Series of 1989 and then I only felt it for about 1/2 second and wondered if that was really an earthquake. It's not mandatory insurance for homes and look at where Sacramento is on this USGS map of recent California earthquakes:

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Map for California and Nevada

Notice how there are virtually no earthquakes in the valley? Just think of the potential for having ocean front property someday when the bay area falls into the ocean.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
The only quake I felt in Sacramento was I believe in 1989 World Series in SF.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 99,680 times
Please don't worry about earthquakes in Sac! I've lived here my entire life and I've never felt one. It's possible to feel them (slightly, if ever) but they will never have any epicenter close to Sacramento. I work for the CA Geological Survey with earthquake date. Trust me. Check out our site... US National Center for Engineering Strong Motion Data that will show you every record of earthquake data we have and NONE of them are in CA....it goes back to the 70's. Also check out Recent Earthquakes in California and Nevada - Index Map which will show you up to the minute earthquakes and ones from the last 2 weeks and also all the known faults in CA...none of which are close to Sac. My only complaint about living here is that I have a great paying job with the state and I can't afford to buy a house...in the town that I have always lived in! I'm hoping the housing market will continue to crash and go back to where is was about 7 years ago. The prices have more than tripled and it's insane!!! My question from you....do you know anything about Southern Georgia, specifically Valdosta? My future hubby is being relocated to Moody Air Force Base and he wants me to move there with him....which I'm a little freaked out by based on my niave view of the south. I'm under the impression that I won't be able to find a decent job there either. Any thoughts??! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento