Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 12:58 AM

4 posts, read 13,309 times

Advertisements

help anyone!!! my wife and i r thinking about moving to sacramento. my wife is pregnant with our first born and we would like to move closer to her family.
we would sell our apartment over here to hopefully buy a nice house in a safe neighborhood with good schools. we could spend about 350k. what are the nice areas? i have noticed that sacramnto has a high crime rate... is that true? how is the quality of life? how about jobs? we r both ICU nurses, what are the good hospitals? any post is highly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 11:10 AM

12 posts, read 166,271 times
how about jobs? we r both ICU nurses, what are the good hospitals?

If you are both RNs, jobs won't be a problem for you at all. Hospitals: UCD Medical Center, Kaiser, Sutter, Mercy CHW. Each of these names has at least one hospital in each area, it really depends what area you will move into.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:53 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,617 times
Aloha....

As nurses, you won't have any problem finding jobs in Sacramento. A friend's daughter-in-law is a nurse and has a lot of flexibility in her schedule. This will be helpful with a new baby. There are nice hospitals in most areas of Sacramento.

At the $350,000 level, you have several options, but the most upscale areas will be higher than $350K. I would check in Carmichael and Orangevale (close to Mercy San Juan hospital), parts of Elk Grove (close to Kaiser south), west Sacramento (close to UC Davis Medical Center), and Citrus Heights (close to Mercy San Juan and Kaiser Roseville).

Some people on the forum will recommend the nicest areas like Granite Bay, Folsom, Land/McKinley Park, and Davis as the places to live. While these are all great places to live, they will most likely be beyond your budget. You'll need to do some research on sites such as realtor.com to find nicer neighborhoods in older sections of the Sacramento area.

Sacramento does have a higher crime rate than the national average, but this is due to high crime areas being included in the statistics. You'll be able to find low crime areas in the above cities, but not all of the sections are nice, so you'll need to do your research.

Compared to Hawaii, the weather will be much dryer and hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. The quality of life in Sacramento is good. Many parts of the outlying areas have new construction giving the city a new and clean feeling. There are lots of trees, parks, rivers, and outdoor activities. Hope you can live without the ocean close by. My aunt lived in Hawaii Kai for many years (she passed away several years ago) and wouldn't dream of living away from the islands.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 PM

11 posts, read 39,142 times
If you want to avoid Sacramento crime (car thefts, buglaries which are the most common) then avoid areas with high numbers of renters. The city suffers from defacto projects in the fact that certain unicorporated parts of the county allowed section 8 housing to proliferate. North Highlands, Oak Park, Citrus Heights and Rancho Cordova are towns that have an inordinate amount of renters/owners and crime. CH and RC incorporated. Oak Park is part of the City of Sacto and revitlization is taking place. North Highlands is in the hurt locker.

Also, stay away from new developments in formerly agricultural enclaves like Woodland. Remember, if it is affordable, then some renter will ultimately stretch to get in that subdivision.

Good areas- Roseville (new); Folsom; Elk Grove (some parts). Davis is also desirable.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:35 AM

4 posts, read 13,309 times
much mahalo for the info.. yes leaving hawaii will be a bit of a problem but i have lied here 14 yrs and it is time to move on. my wife wants to move closer to her family so here we go.
we were looking at UC Davis and we'vr read that much of the area around is floodland. would you know of a good place to move nearby that has reasonable housing and good elementary schools? is the housing market dropping as in the rest of the states? much mahalo. nico

Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 26,697 times
Default Moving to Sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico1957 View Post
help anyone!!! my wife and i r thinking about moving to sacramento. my wife is pregnant with our first born and we would like to move closer to her family.
we would sell our apartment over here to hopefully buy a nice house in a safe neighborhood with good schools. we could spend about 350k. what are the nice areas? i have noticed that sacramnto has a high crime rate... is that true? how is the quality of life? how about jobs? we r both ICU nurses, what are the good hospitals? any post is highly appreciated

There are few choices for what you are looking for. You could look up some RE Brokers in Sac. on the web. REALTOR.COM is one site.
TN
RE Expert

Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,617 times
You could check for homes in Dixon and Galt. There has been lots of building in those areas. Galt schools are not as good as Davis, but are improving. You can check out the school's data at California Department of Education. Look under Data Quest. You can check data for the state, county, district, and school site. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:50 PM

25 posts, read 97,270 times
I would suggest looking in North Natomas as well. My husband and I just moved there and we love it. We have great neighbors and the area is really nice. I also love that we have a ton of young families on our street. It is a lot of young working professionals. I also have a 10 minute commute to downtown, so that is very nice. As for the floodland, that is actually most of Sacramento. Anyway, good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento