Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 03:02 PM

26 posts, read 23,605 times

Advertisements

I think I are coming out again next week, this time with an eye towards Salem. If we wanted to be as close to downtown while still being in a good high school (Sprague?) area--does anyone have specific areas they would direct us towards? Does anyone have experience with South Salem High School? I want Salem to work--it's on the train, it's less expensive and maybe less sleepy and rural than Corvallis? I don't know. On paper, Salem fits the bill. We don't need to be on the train line--I just love that aspect

Thank you to the people who messaged me with dog-friendly property management companies in Corvallis. There is one that will accept 3 dogs--if they have a property owner willing to go along with it, so that's progress. Does anyone know the most pet-friendly property management company in Salem? Renting in the transition makes the most sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 03:40 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindymadigan View Post
I think I are coming out again next week, this time with an eye towards Salem. If we wanted to be as close to downtown while still being in a good high school (Sprague?) area--does anyone have specific areas they would direct us towards? Does anyone have experience with South Salem High School? I want Salem to work--it's on the train, it's less expensive and maybe less sleepy and rural than Corvallis? I don't know. On paper, Salem fits the bill. We don't need to be on the train line--I just love that aspect

Thank you to the people who messaged me with dog-friendly property management companies in Corvallis. There is one that will accept 3 dogs--if they have a property owner willing to go along with it, so that's progress. Does anyone know the most pet-friendly property management company in Salem? Renting in the transition makes the most sense.
Yes, it is less sleepy and less rural than Corvallis since we are three times the size. South is a good high school. It is much more socioeconomically mixed than Sprague or West so they might not look as good on paper in terms of test scores and such. They have the IB program and an excellent culinary program there. The band isn't as good as Sprague if your kids are into music. Sprague just won the conference and they usually duke it out with West for state champs in the wind ensemble.

Sprague's boundaries stop at Madrona so that isn't really close to downtown from my perspective. I live right by Sprague and downtown is 10-15 minutes from me depending on traffic so I'm not sure how you are defining being close to downtown. Walkable?

SMI and Premium Property Management are two of the largest ones in town. I would just make a direct call and ask if any of their landlords would consider your greyhounds. I do my own property management, but I have clients that use Premium and they have been happy with them. I'd start with them.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:55 AM

26 posts, read 23,605 times
Thank you so much Silverfall--you have been very helpful in this process. My daughter's high school here is diverse and although she does like band I bet she would value diversity over music. We will talk about it.

I will call those rental companies on Monday. We still have no formal job offer, but have reason to believe one is coming.

As far as location is concerned, walkable (within 1 1/4 miles) to stores, school, restaurants, "things of interest" is a high priority. I do not want to live rural or in a small town. In Corvallis, I liked the houses in the student section much better than Adair Village. I have 21 & 22 year old sons who I will miss so much if we leave Athens, I wouldn't mind being around a bunch of college kids I side-mom all of my sons' friends here anyway--"don't drink and drive!" "make sure you study" LOL being around young people--even partying young people--is a plus in my book, as long as my daughter is safe, obviously.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:26 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
My son went to high school at South before we decided on private schooling. There isn't any "diversity" there.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:01 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
I went to SSHS (50th reunion coming up). Then a 2 highschool (HS) city.
My son went to SSHS (1998-2002), 1st in class (VB) . 5 HS.
We live in WestSalem (WS) for 50 years and finally have the WSHS, inaugural year 2003. 6th HS. We will be moving to Seattle soon and our house (38 years) is being listed.
Your price point is a consideration on where you will want to live. Each HS boundary area has low and high price points.
JMO, Salem Public Schools System tries very hard to equalize opportunities and resources at all of its schools. A new bond issue of $619mill is up for vote in May. New capacity is needed, again. Big capacity was added ~ 10 years ago.

To give you an idea of population: Seattle has 2018 est pop of 660,000 with 8 major HS and nearing capacity.
Salem OR has an est population of 167,000 (actually think its less) with 6 major HS and at capacity.
Portland OR has population est 620,000 and 9 HS of which most are not at capacity.

[We use Amtrak/Cascades a lot to get to Seattle. For us, it is easier and probably cheaper than driving. Son lives close to Seattle's Train station, so our car really isn't needed].

Last edited by leastprime; 04-22-2018 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 04:02 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindymadigan View Post
Thank you so much Silverfall--you have been very helpful in this process. My daughter's high school here is diverse and although she does like band I bet she would value diversity over music. We will talk about it.

I will call those rental companies on Monday. We still have no formal job offer, but have reason to believe one is coming.

As far as location is concerned, walkable (within 1 1/4 miles) to stores, school, restaurants, "things of interest" is a high priority. I do not want to live rural or in a small town. In Corvallis, I liked the houses in the student section much better than Adair Village. I have 21 & 22 year old sons who I will miss so much if we leave Athens, I wouldn't mind being around a bunch of college kids I side-mom all of my sons' friends here anyway--"don't drink and drive!" "make sure you study" LOL being around young people--even partying young people--is a plus in my book, as long as my daughter is safe, obviously.
Just to be clear South is socioeconomically diverse, not ethnically diverse. Oregon, in general, is quite Caucasian.

Also, Salem is not a college town. While we have Willamette University here, there are only 2,000 students there so we do not have that college town vibe here. Not at all. I grew up in a small college town. Partying and Salem are two words that don't go together. Salem isn't that.

1 1/4 miles puts you in the historic neighborhoods around the downtown core. If you don't like old homes, then you would have to give up that criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem